Age this deer

Lawnboi

WKR
I’m curious if it’s worth sending a tooth in on this deer to see how old it is. Short story is I shot the largest body deer I have ever seen. The rack was nothing special, but this thing was significantly larger in the body than anything I have ever seen.

Where are people sending teeth to be aged now? I see matsons? Is an option but they are not cheap. Curious if @robby denning is still doing it?

Anyways here’s some photos of the lower jaw for those who see a lot of them I’m wondering if it’s worth it to send in a tooth. Would be neat if the deer is 5+ to see an age on it.
IMG_0192.jpegIMG_0190.jpeg

Looks like 5+ is possible unless it was eating sand.
Google deer teeth aging and look at the cusp replacement comparison, or post pic straight down on teeth.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
If you have the patience to wait a long time, think I got my results back in May, go with Robby. If not check other forums there’s an outfit in the Midwest that does it but I can’t remember the name. I’ll have to look into again if I get a buck this year.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Looks like 5+ is possible unless it was eating sand.
Google deer teeth aging and look at the cusp replacement comparison, or post pic straight down on teeth.
IMG_0191.jpeg

Here’s a down picture, I did do a little research but don’t really know what I’m looking at.

Rogue Bay

WKR
It’s really difficult to tell from photos and I think there is a bit of witchcraft with visually aging from molars. I would guess 4.5 from what I can see.

If you send the incisors in please let us know what he comes back as. I find it fascinating and have all of my bucks aged.

S.Clancy

WKR
Tooth wear is very dependent on location. That said, you usually look at a couple things. One is differential wear on the molars, which this minorly on the first 2 molars, but the rest remain sharp. The second, staining of the teeth. These are pretty stained. Finally, looking at the jaw from the side, in old deer you generally start to see an elongated U shape of wear across the line of molars longitudinally. This buck does not have that. I think it is also super helpful being able to see skull size and body size as well and tying that in with teeth. My guess is 4 or 5 given what I see.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Tooth wear is very dependent on location. That said, you usually look at a couple things. One is differential wear on the molars, which this minorly on the first 2 molars, but the rest remain sharp. The second, staining of the teeth. These are pretty stained. Finally, looking at the jaw from the side, in old deer you generally start to see an elongated U shape of wear across the line of molars longitudinally. This buck does not have that. I think it is also super helpful being able to see skull size and body size as well and tying that in with teeth. My guess is 4 or 5 given what I see.

It’s the largest body deer Iv personally ever seen. It was in a bachelor group of bigger antlered deer, but only he and one other, who was a huge buck that I didn’t see till after the shot was taken stood up, had the body size. The body size difference was noticeable at 200 yards. I’m also not good at aging deer. Iv seen bigger racks on 2.5 YO bucks out there, which is the reason I ask. The teeth are more worn than any jaw I have seen, but I don’t see a lot of deer with wear like this. Both ears are clipped, missing a front tooth along with some serious wear on the incisors. I’m planning on pulling a few teeth and sending them in, unfortunately one that’s missing is the one they want. They also ain’t known for their genetics in this area.

IMG_0206.jpg

Attachments

• 1699581612184.jpeg
    1699581612184.jpeg
    299.4 KB · Views: 17