All day sits. Who does it?

OMB

WKR
Depends on the stand and what I know about the area. I spent my youth hunting dark to dark judiciously in the same spot. Now I've got a few areas pegged and I know some spots are morning or evening stands, others are all day stands. I've got 4 or 5 all day sits in this year. Depending on my field of view and the situation I'll throw one ear bud in and listen to something on low on audible or a podcast for an hour here and there. Pat Mcmanus helped me make it all day a few times this week.
The cell network in the area I hunt getting far better than it was 10 or even 5 years ago is a huge help for longer sits and getting more hunts in during the week. I popped in air pods for a quick 30 minute conference call last Thursday and was able to get most of my work done from my cell, 17 feet up a tree. A charging bank has now made its way into my day pack.

Drenalin

WKR
For several years, I sat in a stand dark to dark almost every single time I hunted, 20-30 days per year. I still hunt dark to dark now, but my days of sitting still for more than 3-4 hours at a time are over. During the rut, I’ll be moving the first hour or so of daylight, stationary for a little while, move a little about 11:00, stationary till 2 or so, move some more, close out the last couple hours in another spot. I’m not saying it’s the right way, but it works for me mentally.

TheGDog

WKR
Yeah I do something like that in response to the wind change in direction that happens after certain time of day like 2p or so once ground level/bush level heat has built up from the sunlight, the wind changes and theat first spot also starts to no longer be in shadow any more.

All day every day. I’ll glass from dawn to dusk.

See deer activity throughout the day. Deer get up, stretch, use the toilet, browse, and chase the shade. Have found a ton of deer this way. Seen this on whitetail, mule deer, axis deer, and Coues.

Never understood why folks who are hunting want to go back to camp and chill out. They’re missing out on a lot of activity.

Mosby

WKR
When I hunt in PA on State Game Lands we go in before light and we come out right before dark. We normally sit all day unless we get a heavy rain. I don't sit or hunt through heavy rain storms any more.

Rob960

Lil-Rokslider
Dark to dark for us. I hunt private property which borders public, Unbelievable the deer movement that can occur from 1030 am to 1pm when hunters are going to and coming back from their vehicles for a lunch break.

thadf

FNG
I can’t do it.

It takes the stress off of me just saying it.

Hunting is supposed to be fun. Sitting in one place all day like a caged animal is the opposite of fun for me.
I do admire the guys that can pull it off, but I just can’t do it.
That being said, my past success rate is pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do a hunt in Ohio every year in Wayne Nat Forest. Its a big timber walk in type hunt.
I sit all day back in there. After about 30 years of hunting there I can say that I killed more deer between 10 am and 1 pm. That is likely because other hunters are getting tired of sitting by that time and getting up and moving. When they do that they move the deer around. Same at the end of the day. Hunters are moving out of the woods an hour before dark to keep from walking out the woods in the dark or are dragging out there deer from earlier. I usually get up and move closer to the truck at around 2:30 or 3:00 If I am going to hunt up until dark. At my age if I shoot one in the morning I am likely to not go back in the woods in the afternoon after dragging out.

jte5013

FNG
I usually do it when time permits. My 2 biggest were shot at 10:40 and 2:00. That being said, it is nice to warm up and stretch out on cold days when not much is happening. It did burn me a few years ago when I hadn't even walked 100 yards from where I was sitting when I looked back and say a nice 8 walking within 10 yards of where I had just been.

kpk

WKR
I'll try to from about 11/8-11/12. I've killed numerous my bucks between 11am and 1pm.

TodOz

FNG
I rarely sit all day for archery, even during the rut. I typically don't gun hunt for whitetail anymore but opening day of gun is one day I would sit all day. Once hunters leave the woods in the late morning, they typically bump the deer around.

I think your hunting ground dictates what you do as well. My buddy has a 200 acre + block of timber and can sit all day several days of the rut. He sees deer often. I hunt our farm that is ditches with way less big timber and I would start chewing on a broadhead if I had to sit all day. Just not the deer density. Hats off to you guys that can do it.

Wiscat

Lil-Rokslider
I love(hate) all day sits: with a bow, during the rut. Many days in my log have seen the greatest movement during the mid day. Mentally that is a harder challenge for me than cold and wet in AK or loaded heavy out west; those situations suck worse but you just have to keep going. All day in my uncomfortable ass hang on 22' up my truck is just over the hill ready for me to flick on the heated seats...

LostArra

WKR
My biggest buck was taken at 4pm during an all day sit during the rut.
He was also the only deer I saw that day.
That experience keeps me motivated on the occasional slow November sit.
It only takes 3 minutes to turn a dead day into a success.