American made alternatives to the tikka ?

ceejay

Lil-Rokslider
What about Weatherby Vanguard? They just moved operations to Wyoming. They are notoriously kind of heavy, but they do offer the Wilderness and Backcountry models that are somewhat lighter. I have a standard Vanguard in 243 that averages well under MOA.

Does it have to be brand new? There are plenty of high quality, made in American rifles in the used market. Look for walnut stocks, deep gloss bluing, and open sights! A or pre-64 Winchester 70 or a 1960’s/70’s Remington 700 would be a good start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ens Entium

Lil-Rokslider
What about Weatherby Vanguard? They just moved operations to Wyoming. They are notoriously kind of heavy, but they do offer the Wilderness and Backcountry models that are somewhat lighter. I have a standard Vanguard in 243 that averages well under MOA.

If I'm not mistaken those are made in Japan by Howa. Only the Mark Vs are made in the USA I believe. I have a Vanguard S2 Sporter in 270 and while reliable; no where near the fit and finish of a Tikka.

WKR
This one would work quite nicely.

Woodrow F Call

Lil-Rokslider
I have never understood the Ruger American, it has to one of the ugliest rifles and fit and finish is bad. Don’t care at all for savage either, but that must be a Ford vs Chevy thing. A used Rem 700 is usually the best value for me. I have a Barrett Fieldcraft and a full custom but that price point is way higher

You can’t beat that smooth action though on the Tikka for the price! I do have one

Make a completely functional and accurate rifle at the lowest price point possible. Trying to get someone a good rifle at a very affordable price.

I think it probably does the job.

Make a completely functional and accurate rifle at the lowest price point possible. Trying to get someone a good rifle at a very affordable price.

I think it probably does the job.
I guess you are right. I realize that for me personally it’s not my goal-“cheapest possible functionality “.

I have bought a couple inexpensive firearms in the past and ended up seeing it a waste that I wish I would have put towards something better and more timeless.

Luckily I’m in a position where I can pay a bit more to get what I want out of a rifle to include fit and finish and overall esthetics.

renagde

WKR
Fact is, there is no American made rifle in the same price category as the Tikka that brings the same feature set to the table. Sure if you spend a little more you get into the Ruger Hawkeye and even the CA Mesas but it's not hard to pickup a Tikka for $450-$600. We're not talking about accuracy, as the TC Venture, Savages and Rugers all are putting out extremely accurate guns these days. Talk about the 70* bolt throw, the smooth action, and the trigger that rivals $150 triggers with the replacement of a $10 spring. Even the CA Mesa doesn't offer all that for almost double the cost.

I love buying American whenever possible, but I wouldn't buy a Mossberg, Savage or a Ruger instead of a Tikka just for the sake of buying American and then have to deal with a stiff bolt, gritty action and terrible triggers. And not very many options for stock or barrel upgrades. Now, if we don't mind spending $1000-$1500, I would be looking at a Kimber, Seekins, Christensen or a used Barrett.

Woodrow F Call

Lil-Rokslider
I know the Fins make a decent rifle, but the OP is literally looking for an American made alternative to a Tikka.
I know people in other countries hunt, but you won’t find hunting ingrained in any culture like it is here. Since we already outsource so much, why our rifles? There are plenty of great American made rifles, no need to sen US dollars to a foreign country.

Actually, the Finns like to hunt..... so do the other Scandinavian countries. New Zealand likes hunting. Hunting is popular in places in Africa. Canada likes to hunt. I'm not sure that we have any special ingraining stamp compared to others. We might have some unique and better opportunities thanks to some people with better foresight.

I'm all for buying American Made when it makes sense. At least half of the clothing I wear on a particular day is American Made. When I was looking for a new rifle, I started out looking at American Made Guns. I've owned a few. The Tikka action is much smoother than any American Made rifle I have looked at in the below $1000 range. It's impressively light for it's price. It shoots.

I wish the OP good luck, but I honestly don't believe there is a better gun in the sub $1000 price range, but I'm open to it.

Ram94

WKR
I'll echo what others are saying here. I used a Christensen Arms Ridgeline for 3 years and while it did shoot well, it just doesn't compare in terms of smooth function, weight and to me just an overall quality feel of a Tikka action. I sold it and put the proceeds into good glass and a stock for the Tikka. People see it as a downgrade, but holding both side by side, it is so clear to me which is the superior rifle.

Woodrow F Call

Lil-Rokslider
I guess you are right. I realize that for me personally it’s not my goal-“cheapest possible functionality “.

I have bought a couple inexpensive firearms in the past and ended up seeing it a waste that I wish I would have put towards something better and more timeless.

Luckily I’m in a position where I can pay a bit more to get what I want out of a rifle to include fit and finish and overall esthetics.

I can appreciate that. But honestly, when all you need is a gun to go kill a deer.... and this does the job for under $400.... Not everyone can afford to spend the money that people do here.

I bought Form's easy button special Tikka/SWFA/Sportsmatch Rings and that was about $1000. Then buy a spotter, range finder, all the other stuff..... that's a lot of money. Some folks just can't get there responsibly. The Ruger is probably a great option to do so. You are just getting what you need.

Woodrow F Call

Lil-Rokslider
The OP acknowledged Tikka quality/price point...however, he is asking for an American made alternative; not more justification/rationalization of Tikka.

Just saying.

I think what most people are saying is that there isn't one..... with some disagreement on that.

renagde

WKR
The OP acknowledged Tikka quality/price point...however, he is asking for an American made alternative; not more justification/rationalization of Tikka.

Just saying.
Yeah not sure how this turned into a fanboy vs hater thread (which is what all the threads that contain "Tikka" turn into). There isn't a rifle that compares equally to the Tikka so in terms of alternatives, you either go the cheaper Mossberg, Savage etc route or the more expensive "semi custom" route, which is basically what people are saying.

BjornF16

WKR
I think what most people are saying is that there isn't one..... with some disagreement on that.

I think there have been some excellent alternatives...it's just that everyone has some sort of bias whether it is bladed trigger, sloppy bolt, flexible stock or fugly. Most of the ones listed hover around MOA with the right ammo.

Ruger American
Savage 11
Kimber Hunter
Mossberg Patriot
Bergara B14 (mostly American)
Remington 7/700

Stepping up a price point increases the field:
CA
Barrett
Kimber Montana, Mountain Ascent
Weatherby Mark V
Seekins Precision Hunter 2

I'm sure there are others...

Last edited:

dmm08300

Lil-Rokslider
Browning's x-bolt line is produced in Japan. Weatherby has a plant they are building in Wyoming but currently their mark rifles are made in Japan as well. Depending on your price point there is Cooper, Kimber, Montana Rifle co, and more custom rifle makers than you can shake a stick at.

Edit: Also forgot to qualify my statement by saying my current 2 favorite rifles that get the most use are my tikka and browning HC speed.

Actually the Mark V hasn't been made in Japan since 1995 I believe. It was in Germany from 1959-1972, Japan 1972-1995 and since 1995 they have been made in the USA.

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
All machine work for the Vanguard rifles will be done at the new WY facility. Thats what I understood when Iwas watching a couple of videos for the new plant right after they moved.
I had a S2 300 wby that shot 3/8 to 1/2 inch groups with their factory ammo. It was my third vanguard but I sold it as I like standard cartridges much better. IMHO the Vanguard is an excellent value.

If I'm not mistaken those are made in Japan by Howa. Only the Mark Vs are made in the USA I believe. I have a Vanguard S2 Sporter in 270 and while reliable; no where near the fit and finish of a Tikka.

Every rifle I own was made in the US....but that was long ago, for the most part....the big American makers have been in a race to the bottom for a while now, and I have no interest in buying an inferior product just to prop up their shoddy business practices....that's a lose/lose in my mind. Been shopping for a new .300 mag of some flavor in the sub-$1k, 7lb. range....tops on my list are Browning, Winchester, Mauser, Weatherby Vanguard, or ....Tikka....

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
What are you referring to when you say functionally and performance wise?

Function:

Loading- Bolt travel with no binding at any point during cycling in snow, ice, sand, and excess debris, when cycled rapidly. Magazine feeding smoothly and positively in snow, ice, sand, and with excess debris.

Firing- Reliability of FCS when dealing with snow, ice, sand, and excess debris. Trigger reliability in all weather conditions, trigger being drop safe.

Extraction- bolt cycle positively and with no binding in adverse conditions. Consistent and reliable extraction in snow, ice, sand, and with excess debris.

Ejection- Consistent and reliable ejection in snow, ice, sand, and debris.

Shooting Performance:

Precision- Consistent and known precision from rifle to rifle with little to no variation- I.E., good barrels with excellent QC.

Trigger- Easily adjustable weight, no creep, clean and consistent break.

Action- smooth and anti-binding. Short bolt throw (less than 90°). Positive and consistent travel.

Stock- Stiff forend to resident contact and torque on the barrel and action from field positions. Vertical grip for increased trigger and recoil control. Negative comb and no drop at heel for straight line recoil and spotting impacts.

The only point that the T3x is weak on is the buttstock (drop at heel). Everything else was purposely designed for, or it’s lineage was, function and shooter feel in adverse conditions. Of all the the mainstream rifles, having seen lots used heavily, they are the most consistent and trouble free. That’s not to say that they never have problems, but the rate of issues is way lower than almost any other. One can take 10 T3x’s, mount good scopes in good bases/rings, and be very confident that none of those rifles will give any trouble or hassle, and the shooters performance/perception behind the rifle will be excellent. They will shoot, function and work as they should. One can not say the same of Remingtons, Savages, Ruger Americans, etc. This isn’t about what I like or think. I’m not a fan of anything but performance. I did not “like” Tikkas a decade ago. I personally like Pre 64 Winchester’s and old world Mausers. But I couldn’t say with a straight face that they are better performers in backpack hunting and shooting use than Tikkas.

That’s the gist. I would greatly like to be able to say that an American made hunting rifle is better at those things. It is ridiculous that a US company hasn’t done it, but at this point- no, there is not an American made rifle that is equal to the Scandinavian or European guns, Tikka included.

We may have more total hunters, but as the quote went “No country has finer sportsmen than America. And no country is more enamored with cheap junk”... or something to that effect.