Anyone have experience with hammer bullets?

mvrk28

WKR
I don't. The interweb is loaded with poor information and misinformed people.

Headspace is a real thing and those that misinterpret are in for a serious lesson on getting wrecked brass or a wrecked face .

If you follow simple instructions its very easy to bump your shoulder to fit your chamber.

Long Range Only has a great tutorial on youtube, and yes you are splitting hairs. Bumping the shoulder to properly fit the headspace is what I was referring to.

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
What kind of accuracy have you guys seen at long range? I’m interested in the 181s in the 300wm for long range hunting with lead free ammo.

tdot

WKR
What kind of accuracy have you guys seen at long range? I’m interested in the 181s in the 300wm for long range hunting with lead free ammo.

I've only tested my 300WM out to 450 yards. It was consistent at 1/2 to sub 3/4 MOA from 100 to 450 yards. H4831sc, Fed 215m, 181 Hunter, 3100+ fps as I recall. (Dont have details with me). Didn't even finish load development on that load when I was getting those results.

stank.243

Lil-Rokslider

No long range results (100 yards), but this is what I have worked up. I don't know what kind of velocity I am getting as I don't have a chrono, but I like the results.

Last edited:

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 128098

No long range results (100 yards), but this is what I have worked up. I don't know what kind of velocity I am getting as I don't have a chrono, but I like the results.
Nice shooting!
I’ve seen lots of groups like this on LRH and everyone seems to love these bullets. Quick kills, consistency and easy loading are common attributes. I know the bc is pretty good for a mono bullet but I was just wondering if anybody had groups at long range.

I’ve shot my 7mm STW to 1200 something with the 143 hammer hunter. They shoot as well as I can hold steady at any distance. 100 yards from the bench they stack into the same hole that a dime can cover if I’m up to it that day. Beyond that they hit everything I shoot, which is a lot of rocks, some steel and a little paper. I do have a group at 535 yards that is about like my closed fist. That is In the mountains with a few ridges between me and the target. I don’t think you will have any issues with accuracy at distance as long as you have the proper weight bullet for your barrel twist. If In doubt call Steve but make sure you block out a decent chunk of time because he likes to talk especially about bullets!

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve shot my 7mm STW to 1200 something with the 143 hammer hunter. They shoot as well as I can hold steady at any distance. 100 yards from the bench they stack into the same hole that a dime can cover if I’m up to it that day. Beyond that they hit everything I shoot, which is a lot of rocks, some steel and a little paper. I do have a group at 535 yards that is about like my closed fist. That is In the mountains with a few ridges between me and the target. I don’t think you will have any issues with accuracy at distance as long as you have the proper weight bullet for your barrel twist. If In doubt call Steve but make sure you block out a decent chunk of time because he likes to talk especially about bullets!
That sounds like good accuracy to me!

Anyone tried these or have experience with them? My buddy who is working up a load for my kimber 300wsm wants to try them out. Their website is interesting but I'd love to hear some first hand experience with them before I shell out the coin to experiment with a high end mono bullet (they are almost 2x the cost of Barnes). The only place I've seen any discussion on them is on the Long Range Hunting forum (via a google search - I'm not a long range guy). Any info good or bad is appreciated.
I have a buddy using them in his 260 rem, he loves the way they shoot but has yet to try them on game, they punch paper well so far. Any updates he gives I will post here