Anyone use their tripod as a shooting rest?

Montero

Lil-Rokslider
I'm thinking of using my tripod as a shooting rest or at least have the option to use it as a rest. Has anyone tried this and have some thoughts/recommendations? I figured I could save some weight if I multi purpose some of the things I carry.

W1bowo

Lil-Rokslider
Yes.

I run an outdoorsmans quick release on all .y tripods. Can switch from head to shooting v in seconds.

I am not affiliated with outdoorsmans but use and highly recommend their products.

Definitely not cheap but it's usually your permanent solution.
+1
g.png

mcseal2

WKR
I use Outdoorsmans but use their shooting rest with 2 points of contact with the rifle. I also have the plain V but never use it. The 2 points of contact with the rifle make a huge difference in stability. I've taken quite a few game animals between 300 and 380 yards in recent years sitting or kneeling behind this set-up.

jkingrph

FNG
I have one of these called a Pig Saddle, The make a larger more adjustable model called
the Hog Saddle

Attachments

• PIG-Saddle-Shadow-Tech-LLC-1__86562.1559231595.jpg
    PIG-Saddle-Shadow-Tech-LLC-1__86562.1559231595.jpg
    552.6 KB · Views: 93
Yes.

I run an outdoorsmans quick release on all .y tripods. Can switch from head to shooting v in seconds.

I am not affiliated with outdoorsmans but use and highly recommend their products.

Definitely not cheap but it's usually your permanent solution.

If you’re using the outdoorsmans glassing system with the Bino adapters then this is about as simple as you can get.

I like to use the shooting V with the tripod down so you’re on your knees, or sitting all the way down on the ground. Then I stuff my pack and frame under my elbow for more stability. I don’t really rest the rifle butt on it like a rear bag, but more of a platform to dig in my elbow and provide more stability.

ChrisAU

WKR
My KDC bipod + the 3rd leg conversion for a tripod worked wonderfully on my last elk hunt. Spotted him with my binos on the tripod, and about 2.5 seconds later I had the binos off, 3rd leg disconnected, and bipod attached to rifle and quickly and easily got the bipod in position. 7.1 oz total for my bipod/tripod setup.

Banker

FNG
I use a Primos Trigger Stick Gen 3 Series – Jim Shockey Tall Tripod. It is multi purpose, comes with a standard camera mount and a "V" mount for my rifle. It is also an excellent walking stick.

Pull the trigger and the legs extend to the perfect length - even on uneven ground, it is also very light weight.

jolemons

WKR
Check out Sargent sniper rest. It quickly clamps to a tripod leg to make a rest, is lightweight and cheap

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

never.truly.lost

Lil-Rokslider
Running a Hog saddle right now instead of bringing a bipod; they weigh about the same but I can use the saddle in way more scenarios plus it is pretty fun to practice with at the range.
Have it on a QD plate so can swap out quick with the spotter. Not sure if I would bring this rig sheep hunting but man you can get really stable shots at angles while still being in a concealed position.
Probably would cost a fortune but I would love to see one of these made out of Ti!

Tahoe1305

WKR
I just bought extra plate adapter for whatever tripod I’m using the. $12V yoke from Amazon. Quick swap like other have mentioned and pull the trigger.

very light and efficient way to glass and shoot with one tripod without the need for bipod if shooting seated.

Yes. Though not as stable as the purpose built tripod adapters others have mentioned, I’ve just grabbed the vertical post as if I was using a sapling/tree for an improvised rest. Or set the forend on my universal bino adapter.

eoperator

WKR
I use the outdoorsmans bino hand for bino's, spotter and rifle rest. Not the best at anything but seems to do it all, ok

Yep. I think it is the best way to shave some weight in your pack and on your rifle. I quit packing shooting sticks and I don't use a bipod anymore. I always pack a tripod for my compact spotting scope anyway. I just bought a cheap saddle attachment from Amazon to shoot off of. The only downfall of not having a bipod is not being able to prop your rifle up off the ground when setting the rifle on the ground.

Big Ern

WKR
Tripod for shooting is a game changer.

I run a feisol 3442 with RRS universal leveling base. RRS dovetail arca plate mounted to stock for quick attach/detach.

Once you get comfortable shooting with a tripod and decide it is something you are going to do, then ditch the pig saddle setup and go to arca rail and quick detach. Faster, lighter, and much more stable. Plus, once less thing to carry and mess with in the field.

Also, practice shooting off the tripod a lot. Different positions ie standing, kneeling, sitting, high angle, etc. it is very stable once you get comfortable with the set-up and learn how to stabalize everything. I also will put my pack under my armpit/elbow for more stability on longer shots when kneeling or sitting if I have time.

DavePwns

WKR
Tripod for shooting is a game changer.

I run a feisol 3442 with RRS universal leveling base. RRS dovetail arca plate mounted to stock for quick attach/detach.

Once you get comfortable shooting with a tripod and decide it is something you are going to do, then ditch the pig saddle setup and go to arca rail and quick detach. Faster, lighter, and much more stable. Plus, once less thing to carry and mess with in the field.

Also, practice shooting off the tripod a lot. Different positions ie standing, kneeling, sitting, high angle, etc. it is very stable once you get comfortable with the set-up and learn how to stabalize everything. I also will put my pack under my armpit/elbow for more stability on longer shots when kneeling or sitting if I have time.
Do you have any pictures or videos to show how this system works? I have an outdoorsman pan head and am curious if I could use that as my shooting platform.

I too run an Outdoorsmans tripod (medium) and will use it as a rifle rest. I sometimes use the kopfjager industries rest attached to it. It’s kinda heavy so sometimes a weight bag to help keep it sturdy hanging from the tripod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk