Anyone use their tripod as a shooting rest?

I have my light-ish glassing setup now ready to shoot off of.

This is a Slik 633 with the big plate removed so it weighs 1 lb 15 oz and will get much taller than I need. In the pic I have a 4.7 oz Spartan Davros head direct threaded to the tripod. I now have it on an Outdoorsmans QD plate, and an Outdoorsmans Panner/QD combo on the tripod. I can then use the Outdoorsmans QD system to attach the Davros head or my Outdoorsmans pistol grip for my small spotter or Outdoorsmans bino adapter.

View attachment 230850
How is this setup working for you ? I was thinking about putting the davros head on on a plate that I can slide into my outdoorsmans pistol grip. I don’t see why it wouldn’t be a good shooting platform but I’m not seeing much info on it.

ChrisAU

WKR
How is this setup working for you ? I was thinking about putting the davros head on on a plate that I can slide into my outdoorsmans pistol grip. I don’t see why it wouldn’t be a good shooting platform but I’m not seeing much info on it.

I have practiced with it but have not had occasion in the field to use it. Almost did, it actually spent the night on a Wyoming ridge back in October when it forgot to get back in my pack lol.

I like this idea but i have never had a tripod set up before. Can you attach a pan head to the triclawps so you can actually aim?
I'm not sure I understand your question. I either use the triclawps as a support for glassing or a support for shooting off of. The triclawps hooks to my quick connect plate for my tripod head. I hope this helps.

I'm not sure I understand your question. I either use the triclawps as a support for glassing or a support for shooting off of. The triclawps hooks to my quick connect plate for my tripod head. I hope this helps.
The triclawps threads into the tripod right? So is there any way to "pan" or "aim" the triclawps head if you aren't trying to shoot directly level or in line with where the tripod is facing? Or do you just leave the clamp loose and just rest the rifle on it? Sorry if this isn't making any sense I am just confused

The triclawps threads into the tripod right? So is there any way to "pan" or "aim" the triclawps head if you aren't trying to shoot directly level or in line with where the tripod is facing? Or do you just leave the clamp loose and just rest the rifle on it? Sorry if this isn't making any sense I am just confused
Yeah, I'm with you now. The Triclawp is threaded on the bottom. Your tripod head will have a quick disconnect that will thread into it. You can tighten the triclawps to you gun and adjust the tripod head for a very steady rest. For glassing I set my binos on the triclawps and move the tripod head when glassing.

Yeah, I'm with you now. The Triclawp is threaded on the bottom. Your tripod head will have a quick disconnect that will thread into it. You can tighten the triclawps to you gun and adjust the tripod head for a very steady rest. For glassing I set my binos on the triclawps and move the tripod head when glassing.
Ok that makes more sense. Thanks man I was confused. What tripod head do you use?

Ok that makes more sense. Thanks man I was confused. What tripod head do you use?
I'm just using a older vangaurd head. Just get one that is strong enough the will support the weight of your gun when you tighten the triclawps to your gun and the tripod head.

ropeup79

Lil-Rokslider
I have and really like my Triclawps. A arca rail attached to the stock looks lighter and handier. The Triclawps is lighter than my old Harris clone and a tripod is much more adjustable from prone to standing depending on model and min/max height.

I put a Sirui plate on a v-yoke and use it on top of my VA-5 and tripod I use for glassing. It's light, cheap, and effective.

711lfxxca7L._AC_SX679_.jpg

ropeup79

Lil-Rokslider
The style of tripod head you use can make a difference in ease of use. A panning/fluid 2 axis head is more cumbersome with a clamp on or fixed arca plate. You have to adjust tripod legs to level rifle on vertical axis. The V style rests probably a better option here. A ball style head is best for the clamp or direct arca but not necessarily best for glassing.

mcr-85

WKR
I have a pic rail on the fore end of my rifles. I have a quick release pic rail attachment that has an ARCA on the bottom of. On one of the tripod legs I have a 1" ring with a pic rail that I keep the quick release adapter clamped to so its always with the tripod. I take that off the tripod and clamp it to the rail on my gun and then I put the ARCA on the tripod head and shoot. It is super fast and effective.

The last two bulls I've killed have both been the same situation. Looking at them with my spotting scope to confirm if they are spikes, remove spotter, put the quick release on the gun and then the gun to the tripod and kill. I'd say it under 15 seconds to get my spotter off and my gun on but I've never timed it. Those two shots were 465 and 425 from a seated position behind a light weight sirui tripod. The last one I did come out of the sight picture with recoil, but I probably had my scope zoomed too much for that range, I did catch the bull rolling down the hill in the bottom of the field of view.

Most guys like their gun at the balance point just forward of the magazine but I also shoot off a Hatch Outwest bipod so my rails are at the front of the gun. Works great for me!

Macintosh

WKR
Bunch of folks I know simply carry an ultra light gamechanger-style bag and slap that on top of the tripod to shoot off. Otherwise arca on rifle is super fast and adds virtually no weight. There have been a few good threads in techniques for shooting off a tripod over the past 6 months or so, worth searching for, some good videos, etc there showing various techniques.

Also, this thread is several years old, at this point does anyone NOT shoot off a tripod at least once in a while?

I use my tripod for my gun and my backpack chair for my right elbow support. I don't shoot prone unless I absolutely have to.

Too much chance on hitting grass and shit.

ezwy

FNG
I use the Spartan precision bipod and have a davros head on my tripod. I don't do a ton of glassing, but it works fine for what I do. Shot an elk off of it a week ago. Had to see over the willows, so had the tripod about four feet high with a backpack standing vertically for a rear rest while I was on my knees up high. worked great.

Weldor

WKR
Outdoorsmans pistol grip just tilt it and your ready to go.

Last edited: