At Home Bow Press

Sea Wolf

Lil-Rokslider
For those who have a bow press at home, what kind of press do you use for tuning and bow maintenance?

Looking at options, the price range is anywhere from $1200 down to $50 for a cable press. For myself, I don't want to shell out as much as a paid for the bow. Will a cable press be enough to do maintenance and tuning?

I've had several portable presses, they work buy are a pain in the butt. Just get an LCA EZ green and start learning. It will press most any bow on the market today.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

old_coyote

Lil-Rokslider
I got into tuning last year and my Synumn has worked fine. It’s slow, and there is lots going on but for $100 I can deal with that

Plus it goes on hunts with me

Yep the Green for me and I modded it with a small impact to turn it to electric from hand crank. Once you start servicing your own stuff, you will keep upgrading, so dont waste time with a cable set up- just get the task dedicated press from the start

You may not be able to perform a complete disassembly (i.e., remove the limbs) with a portable cable press, but it can do pretty much anything else. However, a "real" bench-mounted press is much faster and safer. I got by with a Bowmaster and Synunm for a few years before upgrading to an LCA EZ Green...I wish I had made the switch sooner. I bought mine through Black Ovis with free shipping, got 10% off with discount code ROKSLIDE10, and earned $27 worth of reward points for future orders (must create an account before placing the order to get the reward points).

Last edited:
I used portable presses for years. I had a bow master and a synunm. They worked fine, but we’re a general pain to use if you’re using them a lot.

Like everybody else, I eventually just bought an LCA press.

Evol

Lil-Rokslider
I have a portable press that I use when I'm at home to set stuff up but my club has an LCA I can use so I generally get everything set at home and use the club press when I'm there to tune. If I didn't have that I'd probably just buy the LCA press.

The portable press and a vise is a good compromise IMO for the occasional bow stuff.

nphunter

WKR
Depends on what you are wanting to do. When I was just tuning my personal bow a bowmaster with adapters worked well. I was able to break the entire bow down, change limbs, and strings, and do all the tuning I wanted. Once my boys started shooting more and constantly growing I decided to buy an EZG, for doing limb and cam swaps and constantly having to adjust draw length and re-tune it has been awesome. I could still use the cable press but it's much more of a PITA.

I don't have a dedicated area for it yet so it's kind of a PITA to have it in the way all the time, we are remodeling and eventually, I will have a dedicated reloading/archery room that will be its permanent home.

Shadowcaster

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a bow-a-constrictor press, it works great. But if I were buying one now I'd get an ez green for sure. If you're really wanting to do your own maintenance, just get a standard press rather than a portable press.

Just used my Synunm bow press for the first time. All I did was add a string twist to help with peep rotation. It took a few minutes to figure it out and get everything adjusted to my bow. Not a big deal. All of the ropes and such definitely can get in the way and be a nuisance.

I don't see a significant downside to buying a portable press regardless. It will be nice to have at the truck in case I need to make a minor adjustment while I'm out.

I can definitely see how much easier an LCA EZ press would be if you have multiple bows and/or are constantly needing a press (or even a full tear down). I'll finish building my press next winter probably, so the Synunm will do just fine for now.
Good luck!

OP
Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf

Lil-Rokslider
I have a dedicated reloading area with room for archery equipment. Based on all the input here, I'll end up going with a full press eventually, so might as well get one sooner rather than later.

The ability to tune at home instead of driving 2 hours to the closest archery shop and bugging them with tuning tasks would be huge time and money savings. I'll probably get my money out of it in fuel costs, plus more shooting time.

I have a dedicated reloading area with room for archery equipment. Based on all the input here, I'll end up going with a full press eventually, so might as well get one sooner rather than later.

The ability to tune at home instead of driving 2 hours to the closest archery shop and bugging them with tuning tasks would be huge time and money savings. I'll probably get my money out of it in fuel costs, plus more shooting time.

Similar here. I got the EZ Green and added their draw adapter.

This year I also bought a Baker Archery bow vise which mounts to the EZ Green. It was pricey but I’m glad to have it now. I had used a cheaper version before but could never hold my bow steady and level for tuning.

It’s a rabbit hole but I don’t have a close bow shop either and enjoy learning about and working on my bow at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

87TT

WKR
I just built my own a few years ago. One time trying that Bow medic was enough to get rid of it. When I first started shooting, I dry fired my old Bass pro bow. I used two cheap ratchet straps to get the string back on. That worked way easier and felt safer than the portable cable thing.
Build a draw board too.