Augmenting my current setup

jhayes6405

Lil-Rokslider
Hello all,
For the past year I have run a combination of late 90's 8x30 SLC and razor 65mm spotter. I really like this low weight setup, but feel they both leave me wanting a bit more magnification or clarity (respectively). As well, I'm hoping to start more hunts in open sage areas and shed hunting in the spring. So, I'm set on getting a new set of binos, but am unsure which direction to go.

I never leave the house without the SLCs in a bino harness. I like light and small, both in the binos, and the harness, as I'm a medium t-shirt sized guy. At first and last light, the 30mm objectives just don't gather the light I'd like though. Although for archery hunting I really enjoy how small they are, especially when hiking up and down mountains. I also enjoy when I'm hiking and winded, but see a deer on a far ridge, the 8x power and low weight of the glass makes it easy to overcome my hard breathing and get a quick look.

So, should I upgrade my 'daily' carry glass to something x42, or add a third binocular that bridges the gap between 30mm binos and spotting scope? If adding glass, weight isn't a huge concern as I would do a lot of glassing from the truck, but also would want to be able to hike them around, so that rules out x56 glass as I try and keep packed weight low. Thank you for any recommendations, I'm really stuck on which way to go here and figured I'd see what the collective minds think.

Joe

If you can find an 8x32 EL in your price range you will be very happy with the increased performance in glass quality compared to your 8x30SLC. I carry my 8x32 EL's in my chest rig and an 82mm spotter in my backpack and that combination never has me wishing for a 10x binocular.

If money wasn't an issue, I'd run my 8x32 Swaros on the chest, 15x56 in my pack, and the 55mm Kowa on backpacking hunts; I'd just swap the Kowa for my 82mm Meopta if the country I was hunting didn't require too much walking.

OP
J

jhayes6405

Lil-Rokslider
......never has me wishing for a 10x binocular.

If money wasn't an issue, I'd run my 8x32 Swaros on the chest, 15x56 in my pack, and the 55mm Kowa on backpacking hunts; I'd just swap the Kowa for my 82mm Meopta if the country I was hunting didn't require too much walking.

I've thought a lot about the el 8x32 and if their performance outweighs that of most 42mm. The Kowa is that good huh? I tried the little razor 50 mm spotter and thought it was garbage, can 55mm gather that much light to support the zoom?

I've thought a lot about the el 8x32 and if their performance outweighs that of most 42mm. The Kowa is that good huh? I tried the little razor 50 mm spotter and thought it was garbage, can 55mm gather that much light to support the zoom?

I don't know if the 8x32 outperforms the 8x42s from other manufacturers but it's definitely a beautiful optic.

I have no first hand experience with the Kowa but here's a review you may enjoy: Kowa TSN-553 Prominar Review - Rokslide