AWD e-bike comparison

Adam S

FNG
I’ve been thinking a lot about getting an AWD e bike. There’s a few different options out there but not a whole lot of info comparing them. Bakcou makes the Kodiak but there’s no rear suspension on it. Has anyone tried a couple of the AWD bikes out there? Any insight? How do they really do on hill climbs etc.

Phaseolus

WKR
You’d be better off, IMO, getting a bike from a known brand maker of ebikes with high quality components. The initial cost would be higher but you aren’t going to have as many component problems. I tried to look up the spec’s on the Backou bikes but they don’t provide them which is a red flag. Forks and shocks do need to be serviced and rebuilt, you might have trouble getting that done on no-name components. This is just my perspective from someone who spends a lot of time riding bikes in non wilderness backcountry.

Elk97

WKR
A friend has an Ubco dual motor bike. I've ridden it but not taken it hunting. It's got lots of power and knobby tires (they are skinny though). I think it would climb well but it would suffer in deep rutted single tracks because of low ground clearance compared to most dirt bikes. Seems really well built with strong racks front and back. Good range and top speed around 25-30? As I mentioned the tires are much skinnier than most gas dirt bikes so in muddy bogs it would have problems. On logging roads or good trails it would do great but where we hunt it's a no go for me.

Beendare

WKR
You’d be better off, IMO, getting a bike from a known brand maker of ebikes with high quality components. The initial cost would be higher but you aren’t going to have as many component problems. I tried to look up the spec’s on the Backou bikes but they don’t provide them which is a red flag. Forks and shocks do need to be serviced and rebuilt, you might have trouble getting that done on no-name components. This is just my perspective from someone who spends a lot of time riding bikes in non wilderness backcountry.
I totally agree with the above.

I've ridden 4 bikes of different config and own a conversion and my wife's rear hub.

I don't see any advantage to AWD...in fact it's a huge negative. What you realize with these bikes is the weight matters. Some of those Ebikes marketed for hunting with sub par components weigh as much as 70#- a tank.

IME, that extra weight is a big factor in performance/range.

Hub motor bikes do not do well on hills. The standard fir climbing hills is a mid drive motor with Bafang dominating the market (reliability).

OP
Adam S

Adam S

FNG
Has anyone tried the bafang kit for a regular bike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SWOHTR

WKR
I've thought this too. Regarding weight distribution specifically, I've never found the front wheel to be in a position where it has superior traction over the rear wheel. Yes, I've had a rear wheel spin out on me on a mountain bike before, but as soon as I change the weight distribution the problem is fixed. Also, any situation I can think of where "AWD" would be "handy," you'd likely be moving incredibly slow, meaning you are going uphill, in low gear, pedaling quickly. I would think having the front wheel driving would be more of a hindrance here, gripping at random rocks and sticks and potentially making the ride more unstable and dangerous.

Really what I'm saying is that riding a bike is a dynamic activity and it seems that only providing power to one of two wheels is the "right answer."

Phaseolus

WKR
You should at least make sure the bike you buy has walk assist for when you have to push that heavy bike up a hill.

bigmike23

Lil-Rokslider
Theres a reason awd bikes aren't common. It's because it doesn't work. Once you begin moving forward your weight shifts to the rear. This causes the front tire to slightly lift off the ground once you hit any bump. In that tiny second your front tire leaves the ground, the motor will speed the wheel up. Once your wheel reconnects with the ground youll get an awful darting sensation in your steering. You'll feel like you're constantly losing control.

rclouse79

WKR

I just took it to my local bike shop to install a front shock and final tune up. I ordered the Bafang bbshd with a 21ah battery along with everything else I needed for around 1k. Bought the bike used for $700. I still want to get a rear rack and new tires before hunting season.
I am excited to see what she will do.IMG_1285.jpeg

hwy1strat

WKR
I have a mid drive quietkat and I’ve never needed more power than what that thing has. It easily pulls a trailer up a hill. That being said I’m not expecting this to be a motorcycle. I have to pedal and sometimes it’s a little bit of a workout hammering away up a long hill with lots of weight. That being said it’s never hard though

OP
Adam S

Adam S

FNG
Good to know. Thanks for the info! Definitely changing my approach on getting one

Keep in mind, the forest service considers e-bikes to be motor vehicles with very few areas of exception on specifically designated e-bike trails in a few states. So if a road is closed to vehicles, it's closed to e-bikes.

ahlgringo

WKR
Keep in mind, the forest service considers e-bikes to be motor vehicles with very few areas of exception on specifically designated e-bike trails in a few states. So if a road is closed to vehicles, it's closed to e-bikes.

This really depends on who manages the local forest service. I am not gonna go down the rabbit hole though as it seems no one actually knows the complete rules.

All that being said. I would highly reccomend the bafang bbshd home conversion to anyone thinking of getting a serious bike. It’s actually super easy- I just completed another build today- start to finish 3 hours. If it is going to be used for hunting transport I have great luck with mid range fat bikes (think surly, salsa, spec fatboy) you can almost always find them used between 5-1k. Buy the complete 52v bafang kit (just got one with 20 ah battery for 750). Also pick up a new front sprocket (lekkie or the like) as the stock bagang one is garbage. And at the end of the day you have a great bike with good components that is an absolute monster and super fun. I have now built out a half dozen or so for buddies who ride mine then gotta get one. Not that it matters but with a decent frame bag- you really have to look at the bike to realize it has a motor.

Beendare

WKR

I have one on a Trek 29er. Power galore, even in the hills I rarely go over a 6 ( out of 10) and I’m 245#

I did mod the front sprocket from Luna to get a better chain angle

Yooper

WKR
This really depends on who manages the local forest service. I am not gonna go down the rabbit hole though as it seems no one actually knows the complete rules.

All that being said. I would highly reccomend the bafang bbshd home conversion to anyone thinking of getting a serious bike. It’s actually super easy- I just completed another build today- start to finish 3 hours. If it is going to be used for hunting transport I have great luck with mid range fat bikes (think surly, salsa, spec fatboy) you can almost always find them used between 5-1k. Buy the complete 52v bafang kit (just got one with 20 ah battery for 750). Also pick up a new front sprocket (lekkie or the like) as the stock bagang one is garbage. And at the end of the day you have a great bike with good components that is an absolute monster and super fun. I have now built out a half dozen or so for buddies who ride mine then gotta get one. Not that it matters but with a decent frame bag- you really have to look at the bike to realize it has a motor.

I keep going back on forth on buying a complete bike vs building one out like you. Would you mind sharing links to the kits you're buying and any other tips/tricks on build?

rclouse79

WKR
I keep going back on forth on buying a complete bike vs building one out like you. Would you mind sharing links to the kits you're buying and any other tips/tricks on build?
He is a good guy to ask. He is the one who helped me with my current project.

ahlgringo

WKR
no prob- looks like this seller raised his price 50$ but still a good deal. If it's a fat bike, most likely you will need the 120mm version. I built a Surly Puglsy that I used a 100mm on. most regular narrow tire bikes use the 68mm. If in doubt just measure or look up your BB diameter. I have used the brake and gear shift sensors but honestly now just toss em- not really needed. One thing- I have never built on a 1x12 setup and heard varying opinions on it working with that narrow of a chain. You really don't need more than 9 gears and components for 9 or 10 speed cassettes are way cheaper. Chains and cassettes are the wear parts in this system.

Big fan of these to keep the motor locked in

I have had really good luck with these for front sprockets. buy once cry once

Get a set of these to dial in BB spacing

There are a ton of YouTube vids that walk you through step by step on installation. its really not hard