B Zone Chatter 2020

packed deep in the wilderness. counted 13 legal bucks in 3 days. A couple of them were real trophy quality. Had two very good chances at bucks but it just didn't work out. Buck in a bed got up to feed just before i was in range and i lost it in the brush. another was bedded 34 yards below me as I was setting up my tripod. I had taken off my release as to not clang it on my tripod while glassing, buck calmly stood up and slowly walked away as I scrambled to get my tripod off me, find my release, and grab my bow. by the time I was ready he had just stepped into a deep drainage never to be seen again. Thunder and lightning on monday coming out. There are a couple fires back there now and rifle season might not happen. Also my hunting partner came back home to fire evacuation and he just found out his house burnt down. 2020 sucks

OP
MeatBuck

MeatBuck

WKR
packed deep in the wilderness. counted 13 legal bucks in 3 days. A couple of them were real trophy quality. Had two very good chances at bucks but it just didn't work out. Buck in a bed got up to feed just before i was in range and i lost it in the brush. another was bedded 34 yards below me as I was setting up my tripod. I had taken off my release as to not clang it on my tripod while glassing, buck calmly stood up and slowly walked away as I scrambled to get my tripod off me, find my release, and grab my bow. by the time I was ready he had just stepped into a deep drainage never to be seen again. Thunder and lightning on monday coming out. There are a couple fires back there now and rifle season might not happen. Also my hunting partner came back home to fire evacuation and he just found out his house burnt down. 2020 sucks
Bummer all around. Except for the seeing bucks part.

KClark

WKR
Rule 1 of tree stand hunting: if you sleep in, there will be bucks. Missed a small 4x this am. I did see these two fawns as consolation. First piebald deer (someone correct me if I’m wrong) I’ve ever seen. Shocked they’ve both survived this long!

View attachment 209323View attachment 209324

I see zero color on those fawns, looks like pink eyes so they may be albinos. Piebald usually have some brown patches and black hooves, noses and eyes. Either way, glad you got to see them, that's cool.

Tobias

FNG
I see zero color on those fawns, looks like pink eyes so they may be albinos. Piebald usually have some brown patches and black hooves, noses and eyes. Either way, glad you got to see them, that's cool.

That was my initial thought but their bodies were a very light brown. Hard to tell from the pics

Rangerpants

Lil-Rokslider
Hunted hard the last three days. Did a lot of sitting over a bowl where I found the 4 point I am digging for. Only a doe to show for it. It's been hotter than average for the area I hunt, so I am wondering if it's keeping the bucks in a nocturnal pattern.

One of the days, I hiked into a wilderness area I hadn't been to in several years. Found a new spot I might try sitting on next weekend for a bit and worked some terraces where I found 40 does and spikes, but nothing legal. Now that most of the rest of my B zone spots are on fire or hit by closure orders, I am more motivated to work the areas I know and have available to me!

OP
MeatBuck

MeatBuck

WKR
Looking at map of b zone areas effected by closures... I squeezed by with my area not being closed. Hopefully no one else finding closures isn’t going there as a back up plan. Or I’ll be needing a backup plan.
Wish they’d released the map sooner, I would already be up there. May have to push trip off to next week as my schedule was open this week. But weeks almost over and the weekend “crowd” just isn’t my thing. Don’t need weekenders seeing where I’m parked and trying to beat me in there the next weekend.
Plus there’s nothing like rolling out of hills on a Friday with an icechest load of meat and a set of antlers on top when everyone else is rolling in with icechest full of (beer)/hope and a set of lucky rabbits feet.

Rangerpants

Lil-Rokslider
I feel you Meatbuck. I have Sun-Tues off as my regular days, so I try to be showing up as most people are leaving. Most of the time I have the woods to myself.

Also, did you find a map that has all the closures on it in a user friendly format? I have only been able to find maps of individual closure areas.

OP
MeatBuck

MeatBuck

WKR
I feel you Meatbuck. I have Sun-Tues off as my regular days, so I try to be showing up as most people are leaving. Most of the time I have the woods to myself.

Also, did you find a map that has all the closures on it in a user friendly format? I have only been able to find maps of individual closure areas.
The one I saw I wasn’t able to see the map good on cellphone so the old lady brought it up on the computer and it was clear to read. Think it was for glade fire.

Rangerpants

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you're finding what I am, piecemeal info on each individual fire. My scoped out zones (Plans A-C) land in three separate fires/closure areas and are all off limits right now, but finding that info was a pain. Best of luck that your hunt area stays accessible!

PhilipC

FNG
The timing of these fires couldn’t be worse. I’ve come to the conclusion that hunting the B Zones is way more rewarding than hunting the D Zones. I have an AO tag so when I couldn’t head up to my plan A spot in the B’s I headed to D6, in the Carson Iceberg Wilderness. Did a 18 mile round trip and stayed one night. I was going to stay another night but after seeing only 3 does (and 4 bears) after a LOT of glassing, I decided to head home and save up some credit with the wife in order to hunt B Zone when it becomes accessible again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rangerpants

Lil-Rokslider
Great...We'll see if plan D was affected... thanks. I am curious to see how all these closures will affect hunter density. Will people willing to hike in be bumping into each other in the limited places left open>

OP
MeatBuck

MeatBuck

WKR
Time for me to unroll the maps. Start looking for new territory to hunt. Fires in the nf in spots accessible for crews but doesn’t seem to be slowing.

OP
MeatBuck

MeatBuck

WKR
Time for me to unroll the maps. Start looking for new territory to hunt. Fires in the nf in spots accessible for crews but doesn’t seem to be slowing.
Time to roll the maps back up, start looking for a new hobby. Hahaha

Attachments

• 94368025-3B21-4C44-8C55-74837A936CD6.jpeg
    94368025-3B21-4C44-8C55-74837A936CD6.jpeg
    127.7 KB · Views: 57

JNDEER

WKR
B zone fire finally connected. Bolly's being burned now and its heading north. at 20% contained and no one fighting it this thing is going to take out every northern California wilderness before some rains come to put it out.