Backpack Shootout - 9 Backpacks Go HEAD to HEAD ***Updated 8/5/2020***

Interesting review. That being said, I hope folks take this review with a grain of salt. What works for you, me, etc may not work for others. People need to try on a pack and fit it to them to see what works for them. Everyone is different. My Mystery Ranch is fantastic....FOR ME. Havent tried on an EXO yet that fit me worth a damn. Again...we are all different and the best thing anyone looking for a new pack can do is try on various packs.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Really appreciate the review. I’m quite surprised by the results. I’m in the market for a new pack that will carry weight better as I’ve had a back surgery and two knee reconstructions. I’m back in shape and planning to hunt hard this fall. So one that carries weight well is paramount. I had never considered Sitka nor Kuiu based on comments here. I’ll add them to the list and give a serious look at SO and SG.

I don’t think you could go wrong with any of the top 7. As you know like shoes it’s not one size fits all and you really need what fits you best. If I can help in anyway just shoot me a message.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great job Zach, this is one of the best reviews I’ve ever seen so far. As far as the results, I am still in shock. I never in a million years would have guessed Sitka and Kuiu would have done so well in the load hauling phase. Just goes to show u always keep an open mind and don’t fall in love with a brand name.

Thanks for the kind words.

md126

WKR
Thanks for the info and effort to do this.

The waterproof test kind of surprised me, especially the SO. I thought their packs were essentially waterproof with the X-Pac material they use over cordura?

Either way, nicely done. Looking forward to Part 2

Great review!! I agree that some things related to fit/comfort can vary a bit by individual, but I do think there are a lot of general conclusions about gear that apply to most/many users, and this is valuable and helpful information.

The range of tests and graphics were great, and the sound test and speed load tests were particularly clever. The load test had such interesting outcomes-- I wouldn't have guessed the Sitka pack would be up there amongst the top packs for noise, load capability, etc.

The water test was informative, but as a scoring tool I might reverse some of the results. I don't necessarily expect a backpack to be waterproof, and although water beading/resistance on the outside is nice, I do expect it to be able to drain water/blood and breathe (I live somewhere VERY wet, and keep a lot of gear in smaller waterproof ditty bags inside the pack anyway—assuming the inside will be wet at some point). I suppose this is a criterion that comes down in part to the hunters use case. But again, cool and informative test no matter the use case.

Last edited:
As follow-up, I'm going to be looking forward to the next round results. I was impressed that none of the packs had full-on failures with 160 lb. packed in, or even any ripping stitching/etc and will be very interested to how they hold up in the field. Not sure if you're going to get a chance to do the hunt phase with a KUIU in the mix of the "finalists," but either way I like that you'll have a mix of mid-range priced packs (Seek Outside, KUIU, Sitka in the ~$500s range) and high-end priced packs (Initial Ascent, Kifaru, Stone Glacier, EXO in the ~$6-700s range).

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great review!! I agree that some things related to fit/comfort can vary a bit by individual, but I do think there are a lot of general conclusions about gear that apply to most/many users, and this is valuable and helpful information.

The range of tests and graphics were great, and the sound test and speed load tests were particularly clever. The load test had such interesting outcomes-- I wouldn't have guessed the Sitka pack would be up there amongst the top packs for noise, load capability, etc.

The water test was informative, but as a scoring tool I might reverse some of the results. I don't necessarily expect a backpack to be waterproof, and although water beading/resistance on the outside is nice, I do expect it to be able to drain water/blood and breathe (I live somewhere VERY wet, and keep a lot of gear in smaller waterproof ditty bags inside the pack anyway—assuming the inside will be wet at some point). I suppose this is a criterion that comes down in part to the hunters use case. But again, cool and informative test no matter the use case.

I don’t expect them to be water proof either, but that doesn’t stop me from wondering which one will do better.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
As follow-up, I'm going to be looking forward to the next round results. I was impressed that none of the packs had full-on failures with 160 lb. packed in, or even any ripping stitching/etc and will be very interested to how they hold up in the field. Not sure if you're going to get a chance to do the hunt phase with a KUIU in the mix of the "finalists," but either way I like that you'll have a mix of mid-range priced packs (Seek Outside, KUIU, Sitka in the ~$500s range) and high-end priced packs (Initial Ascent, Kifaru, Stone Glacier, EXO in the ~$6-700s range).

KUIU is supposed to be sending a pack.

Scooter90254

Lil-Rokslider
Great unbiased review. Very well done.

That’s the Kuiu set up I run and I’ve made the comment that it’s a functional pack and have been told I’m basically hauling around a Walmart brand camp pack.

“It’s not a Kifaru buts it’s functional”. Is what I said
And I was lambasted. Lol.

Can only imagine the blowback you’re going to get. Haha.

One things for sure no one can accuse you of taking the popular/easy route.

I am normally a EXO or Kifaru guy. I was so impressed with the Sitka that I headed down to our local Sitka dealer and ended up Coming home with a Mountain Hauler 4000. That pack is solid, I mean solid. Couldn't believe how beefy that frame is. Love the configuration of the pack. Without this review I would never in a million years considered a Sitka pack. Thanks again for all your time and hard work.

I have used a Kelty the last 10 yrs works but super uncomfortable with animal. Just recently ordered kifaru tac frame and crater pack hope it wasn't waste money.

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
Great Part 1 Review...I'm looking forward to the real world testing in part 2.

I ended up picking the Stone Glacier. For my body type they had the best waist belt/lumbar pad, and I like the load shelf. The frame is just solid. For Kifaru I didn't like that the load shelf was integrated with the bag and not the frame. I also trialed the Exo K3 and had the same experience with the lumbar pad being too soft and rolling causing the frame/waist belt to sag under heavy loads. I am a big fan of Sitka's quality, have had great experiences with their whitetail line, but the mountain hauler is out for me, as I'm not a big fan of packing meat in the main pack bag.

Ching

FNG
Thanks for doing this comparison review. I am in the market for a pack, and reviews like this is my first area of research. Too bad there is not a store that carries all these hunt specific packs to try on before making a purchase.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great unbiased review. Very well done.

That’s the Kuiu set up I run and I’ve made the comment that it’s a functional pack and have been told I’m basically hauling around a Walmart brand camp pack.

“It’s not a Kifaru buts it’s functional”. Is what I said
And I was lambasted. Lol.

Can only imagine the blowback you’re going to get. Haha.

One things for sure no one can accuse you of taking the popular/easy route.

I think the the new pro suspension is awesome!

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am normally a EXO or Kifaru guy. I was so impressed with the Sitka that I headed down to our local Sitka dealer and ended up Coming home with a Mountain Hauler 4000. That pack is solid, I mean solid. Couldn't believe how beefy that frame is. Love the configuration of the pack. Without this review I would never in a million years considered a Sitka pack. Thanks again for all your time and hard work.

I’m glad that the review gave you helpful insight. Yes the Sitka pack kicks ass!