Backpack Shootout - 9 Backpacks Go HEAD to HEAD ***Updated 8/5/2020***

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have used a Kelty the last 10 yrs works but super uncomfortable with animal. Just recently ordered kifaru tac frame and crater pack hope it wasn't waste money.

Nah it’s not a waste at all. Take the time to get the proper fit and I’m sure you’ll like it and it will work well for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great Part 1 Review...I'm looking forward to the real world testing in part 2.

I ended up picking the Stone Glacier. For my body type they had the best waist belt/lumbar pad, and I like the load shelf. The frame is just solid. For Kifaru I didn't like that the load shelf was integrated with the bag and not the frame. I also trialed the Exo K3 and had the same experience with the lumbar pad being too soft and rolling causing the frame/waist belt to sag under heavy loads. I am a big fan of Sitka's quality, have had great experiences with their whitetail line, but the mountain hauler is out for me, as I'm not a big fan of packing meat in the main pack bag.

I’m glad you found one you like and that works well for you. I’ve been packing meat in the bag for awhile so I’m ok with in the bag or between bag and frame.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for doing this comparison review. I am in the market for a pack, and reviews like this is my first area of research. Too bad there is not a store that carries all these hunt specific packs to try on before making a purchase.

Best bet would probably be a show of some type like the western hunt expo.

First off, thanks OP, for all the hard work that is going in to this review. It will help a lot of people out, and everyone appreciates it. I have really only done broadhead testing to any large extent, and even that takes up a lot of time. That's easy compared to hiking and loading packs over & over. Can't imagine the hours you have behind this review. Hats off to you.

Question is in regard to the Kuiu talk I'm seeing. They are good packs, no argument from me there. I ran an older Icon Pro 1850 and an Ultra 6k for several years. I was always happy with them. Until the Kuiu squeaks started. Once the cordura really wore in against any contact point with the carbon frame, even my half-deaf father could hear my pack when we hunted together. I tried carbon powder in the lower frame pocket. Helped some, then came back. I tried pulling the straps and shrink tubing all areas that contacted the frame. Helped quite a bit, then wore through with heavier pack trips. It was just a constant bother to me. Did the new pro suspension setup take care of this noise, or was your trial pack still so new, it hadn't developed the squeaks yet? Or maybe I'm fairly alone in having a couple of the loudest Kuiu bags ever. I just assumed it was a common issue at the time.

Thanks again OP and keep the great content coming.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
First off, thanks OP, for all the hard work that is going in to this review. It will help a lot of people out, and everyone appreciates it. I have really only done broadhead testing to any large extent, and even that takes up a lot of time. That's easy compared to hiking and loading packs over & over. Can't imagine the hours you have behind this review. Hats off to you.

Question is in regard to the Kuiu talk I'm seeing. They are good packs, no argument from me there. I ran an older Icon Pro 1850 and an Ultra 6k for several years. I was always happy with them. Until the Kuiu squeaks started. Once the cordura really wore in against any contact point with the carbon frame, even my half-deaf father could hear my pack when we hunted together. I tried carbon powder in the lower frame pocket. Helped some, then came back. I tried pulling the straps and shrink tubing all areas that contacted the frame. Helped quite a bit, then wore through with heavier pack trips. It was just a constant bother to me. Did the new pro suspension setup take care of this noise, or was your trial pack still so new, it hadn't developed the squeaks yet? Or maybe I'm fairly alone in having a couple of the loudest Kuiu bags ever. I just assumed it was a common issue at the time.

Thanks again OP and keep the great content coming.

The squeak is a problem they have had and I’ve heard that from a lot people. I actually borrowed the KUIU from a friend for part one and it was well used ZERO Noise of any kind. So with that maybe the new suspension has fixed the issue.

Im rolling with MR Selway/Pintler and will probably bring the Mule along in case I want to stuff it in the meat shelf for a spike camp set up. I like the idea of having a day type pack for days I hunt from the truck, and a bigger bag for 5 days in the backcountry. Im not overly thrilled with the MR layout.

Next year Itll either be 22 and 44mag and frame with some pockets, or Initial Ascent IA2k and 4k with 3 gear combo. The IA layout is perfect for what Im looking for, I like everything about their packs on paper. But I own quite a few Kifaru things (slick, woobie, pockets, field quiver) and all of them are top notch. I dont want to mess this up since its such a big purchase. Looking forward to the 2nd part of the review to see how these packs work in the field.

The new suspension at least for me doesn’t squeak like the old one. I used to tape the bottom of the frame with leuko tape to help prevent this with the old hip belt.

I was given a piece of grooved piping that went around the outer rim of the lower frame where it went into the pocket as well.

BBob

WKR
The squeak is a problem they have had and I’ve heard that from a lot people. I actually borrowed the KUIU from a friend for part one and it was well used ZERO Noise of any kind. So with that maybe the new suspension has fixed the issue.

Sometime in the recent past I noticed they added a glued on plastic channel around the bottom radius of the frame. My older frame doesn't have it and a newer frame does. It's kind of slippery and I'd guess maybe some sort of PTFE? The older frame had a light squeak from there but with some dry silicone spray sprayed into the pocket it never came back.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Im rolling with MR Selway/Pintler and will probably bring the Mule along in case I want to stuff it in the meat shelf for a spike camp set up. I like the idea of having a day type pack for days I hunt from the truck, and a bigger bag for 5 days in the backcountry. Im not overly thrilled with the MR layout.

Next year Itll either be 22 and 44mag and frame with some pockets, or Initial Ascent IA2k and 4k with 3 gear combo. The IA layout is perfect for what Im looking for, I like everything about their packs on paper. But I own quite a few Kifaru things (slick, woobie, pockets, field quiver) and all of them are top notch. I dont want to mess this up since its such a big purchase. Looking forward to the 2nd part of the review to see how these packs work in the field.

From my experience I used to take a small pack for day trips along with a frame pack (15 or so years ago). Then I realized I was wasting weight, space, energy, and money carrying an extra bag. I then focused on a pack that could haul everything I needed for an extended hunt but compress down for any type of day hunt. That will save you money, time, and hassle of switching back and forth. Now days a lot of the packs that are around 5500cu compress extremely nicely and allow you to do it all with just one bag. Just my two cents and let me know if I can answer any questions or help in the decision.

SlickStickSlinger

Lil-Rokslider
KUIU system offers a lot of differing size options along with a fair price point to a pretty darn good pack. Makes it easier to "share" packs with my wife and kids.
That being said, I still covet after other brands. 😖

A&M 90

FNG
I'm new to all this so part 1 was very helpful. Thank you for working it up.

Is the testing for part 2 scheduled for weeks or months down the road?

Okie84

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Thanks for taking the time to make this happen. I run a few seek outside shelters and recently purchased the Lanner 5400. I’m planning on using it this year instead of my old pack. Can you elaborate on what caused the buckles/clips to break? It’s concerning to hear they broke so easily while testing and has me second guessing my purchase. Thanks

KUIU system offers a lot of differing size options along with a fair price point to a pretty darn good pack. Makes it easier to "share" packs with my wife and kids.
That being said, I still covet after other brands. 😖

Look man ive used Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Exo and KUIU and with KUIU's new supension system they are as good as any. Some may not admit it but, its a good pack. The issue and same for me, is I am not a KUIU fan so I chose to put my money in other companies. I think this needs to be told because you will get some that will say some pack is the best, but don't tell you the whole story why the say that.

Again I did a none biased, paid all on my own for packs above and had similar results, except I thought Kifaru was a #1a to my #1. There is no argument that Kifaru has the best hip belt/lumbar pad out of all of them.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks for taking the time to make this happen. I run a few seek outside shelters and recently purchased the Lanner 5400. I’m planning on using it this year instead of my old pack. Can you elaborate on what caused the buckles/clips to break? It’s concerning to hear they broke so easily while testing and has me second guessing my purchase. Thanks

The issue: The forward Pull Ladder Locks on the Belt can Break under certain conditions.
It took some effort for us to duplicate the issue (It has only happened in two cases to customers). It seems to happen only when the belt bottoms out (I.E belt is almost too big for you ) and this causes the hardware to break well under it's load rating. We did have a group of people that used these new forward pull for two seasons and we have used the component for years with no issue. We were not able to duplicate it without the belt bottoming out, regardless of load / activity.

Who does this effect ?
It can effect the new dual adjust forward pull hip belts sold since Feb 2020.

What we are doing to resolve the issue:?
We are sending out kits, and instructions on how to repair to all hunting pack customers that bought since the 2020 western hunt expo. The fix should take about 5 minutes and we consider it a long term fix. Expect these to arrive in the mail in the next few weeks (we are waiting on the hardware and then we have to mail it out).

What can you do in the interim if you have the issue or believe you may have the issue ?
The GHOOKs we send out as part of the repair kit can work in the field if needed, but the usability is poor as they don't hold tension on heavy loads well. If you have the Sea To Summit one inch Ladder Lock Repair buckles those work very well. The Marsupial Gear Buckle Delete Military Gate Keeper works very well (That is what we consider the best fix ). Jim from Marsupial Gear was kind enough to sell us a large quantity so we can start to send out kits earlier.

Thanks
Kevin

Okie84

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
The issue: The forward Pull Ladder Locks on the Belt can Break under certain conditions.
It took some effort for us to duplicate the issue (It has only happened in two cases to customers). It seems to happen only when the belt bottoms out (I.E belt is almost too big for you ) and this causes the hardware to break well under it's load rating. We did have a group of people that used these new forward pull for two seasons and we have used the component for years with no issue. We were not able to duplicate it without the belt bottoming out, regardless of load / activity.

Who does this effect ?
It can effect the new dual adjust forward pull hip belts sold since Feb 2020.

What we are doing to resolve the issue:?
We are sending out kits, and instructions on how to repair to all hunting pack customers that bought since the 2020 western hunt expo. The fix should take about 5 minutes and we consider it a long term fix. Expect these to arrive in the mail in the next few weeks (we are waiting on the hardware and then we have to mail it out).

What can you do in the interim if you have the issue or believe you may have the issue ?
The GHOOKs we send out as part of the repair kit can work in the field if needed, but the usability is poor as they don't hold tension on heavy loads well. If you have the Sea To Summit one inch Ladder Lock Repair buckles those work very well. The Marsupial Gear Buckle Delete Military Gate Keeper works very well (That is what we consider the best fix ). Jim from Marsupial Gear was kind enough to sell us a large quantity so we can start to send out kits earlier.

Thanks
Kevin

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Your company’s customer service and honesty have been one of the reasons I’ve gravitated towards your products. The way my waistline has expanded this year I don’t think I’ll have any issues with the belt bottoming out 😂

As much as I love my Kuiu system I feel like being a tall user that it doesn’t feel quite long enough in the shoulder department and also the overall fit when comparing to the Kifaru I tried on last week. I was blown away by that hip belt.

The crappy thing with the new Kuiu design is the fixed load lifter point. I’m a tall guy with a big frame and the strap has to go around your torso but the old straps had an adjustable load lift point.The new ones went backwards to fixed.

While the new suspension is comfortable I’m unable to have load lifters that take much of a load off while still trying to maintain The 45 deg load lifter angle. Throw more weight in that the frame will sink lower and lower having to compensate by shortening the torso length on the frame slightly to try and get the 45 deg angle back.

I’ve yet to test out the kifaru with a 60 to 80lb loads but judging by the hip belt fit and the actual ability to fit the shoulder straps and adjust the three bar slider to the clavicle or just in front of it you can actually get load lift. The added pound or two of weight for me will be acceptable in my eyes for the heavy loading when packing out an animal where you need it most. Not hauling sub 50lbs of gear into the backcountry. The Duplex ultralight even seemed stiffer vertically speaking even up top in comparison to the Kuiu, though I’d be after getting the lite.

I’ll report back in a few months once I make my order and do some testing if anyone’s curious.

SlickStickSlinger

Lil-Rokslider
As much as I love my Kuiu system I feel like being a tall user that it doesn’t feel quite long enough in the shoulder department and also the overall fit when comparing to the Kifaru I tried on last week. I was blown away by that hip belt.

The crappy thing with the new Kuiu design is the fixed load lifter point. I’m a tall guy with a big frame and the strap has to go around your torso but the old straps had an adjustable load lift point.The new ones went backwards to fixed.

While the new suspension is comfortable I’m unable to have load lifters that take much of a load off while still trying to maintain The 45 deg load lifter angle. Throw more weight in that the frame will sink lower and lower having to compensate by shortening the torso length on the frame slightly to try and get the 45 deg angle back.

I’ve yet to test out the kifaru with a 60 to 80lb loads but judging by the hip belt fit and the actual ability to fit the shoulder straps and adjust the three bar slider to the clavicle or just in front of it you can actually get load lift. The added pound or two of weight for me will be acceptable in my eyes for the heavy loading when packing out an animal where you need it most. Not hauling sub 50lbs of gear into the backcountry. The Duplex ultralight even seemed stiffer vertically speaking even up top in comparison to the Kuiu, though I’d be after getting the lite.

I’ll report back in a few months once I make my order and do some testing if anyone’s curious.
I am. I'm six four and have noticed the exact same dilemmas with the load lifters. Exact same. The KUIU pack fits good enough for this season but next I might be working towards something that fits better. I had and sold a Badlands Summit last year. Maybe one year a pack will tickle me the perfect way.
Please share or PM your findings for a tall guy.

6’7” with a 24” torso.

Kifaru told me to go with the 26” frame, long shoulder straps and a med waist belt (36-37” waist pants generally)

I prefer to have most of the weight on my hips, I think the Kifaru is going to be the ticket to what I’ve seen on the market at this point.

Now I have to decide on a Muskeg 7000 or a Fulcrum. I have a buddy who’s ordered a full muskeg kit that should be arriving in the next week that I will have a fondle on.