Best Base Layer

What is the best base layer to use in the cold and wind when sitting still for hours? I typically do ok with polypropylene from the mil surplus store as my base. Just curious what are some other options?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
With no exertion (i.e. sweating) involved, Polar weight ECWCS works well. Even 400gm weight merino doesn't help me stay warm at all. But if I was going to be exerting at all, I'd use lightweight merino and then load up on the insulation layers once I got to my sitting spot.

I use merino base next to skin under outer shell. Once I start glassing I put on puffy, wool mittens, and beenie. If all that’s not enough I make a fire.

Base layers was the initial question. I was not a believer in Merino until I tried it. It is the best product for the constant up hill, downhill, sweat your a** off, 0 degree wind chill. It keeps my dry which keeps me warm.

I think the best thing for wind is layers. Base, mid, light shell. That works best for me. My core and legs are usually ok, so another overlooked thing with wind is a neck gaitor to protect ears and face from the wind.

*zap*

WKR
When I walk in and it is cold....and then sit for hours I want a light/wicking base layer on for the walk. For sitting I am going to kenai? zip ons....and a good warm bib/jacket.

SonnyDay

WKR
I used to pal around with a Brit in Alaska... We hunted, climbed peaks, and skied everywhere. I thought I was pretty tough in those days, but when we had to sit for a few hours... he could always outlast me. He was kind enough to share his secret: silk base layers. Ounce for ounce, some of the most warmth you can get. Really surprised me. Especially in wind.

Merino wool wasn't a thing in those days, so I usually ran polypro/capilene on top of silk. Nowadays I run merino on top of silk, then whatever is outside of base.

Hope that helps!

Gerbdog

WKR
I used to pal around with a Brit in Alaska... We hunted, climbed peaks, and skied everywhere. I thought I was pretty tough in those days, but when we had to sit for a few hours... he could always outlast me. He was kind enough to share his secret: silk base layers. Ounce for ounce, some of the most warmth you can get. Really surprised me. Especially in wind.

Merino wool wasn't a thing in those days, so I usually ran polypro/capilene on top of silk. Nowadays I run merino on top of silk, then whatever is outside of base.

Hope that helps!
I'll 2nd the silk as a base layer for the cold, works great

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
for static use I'd rather rely on insulated pieces to keep me warm, base layers are typically designed to move moisture on the move

if I knew I was going to be sitting most of the day, the heavier grid fleece base layers is what I would don- ie Sitka's Heavyweight Core hoody/bottoms, others make them- including the surplus military ones

FLS

WKR
I can’t tell much difference in materials, only weight. I Always go as light as possible, and layer up. If it’s windy add a wind proof outer layer.

I used Merino for the first time this fall on elk hunt in NW MT. I used a 250 weight quarter zip against my skin and 150 bottoms.
-Merino wicks moisture like a boss and for its weight is extremely warm
-It's light weight
-It dries quickly after a long day
-It's naturally odor resistant

All these characteristics make it a great choice for active hunts and espeically DIY as you can get a lot of mileage out of it without taking up too much room or adding a lot of weight/bulk to your pack.

The same qualities that make Merino a good base layer also make it an excellent choice in socks. I used 3 pairs of "Darn Tough" brand over the calf Merino socks on my 8 day hunt, and they were phenomenal. After multiple uses without washing they didn't stink, maintained their fit, and never became "quitters". For a guy with big calves they are absolutely the best.

We got into some nasty weather on the mountain during our hunt with mixed rain and snow showers for one entire day. That particular day I had on several wool layers topped off with a soft shell Gore-Tex parka with a hood. However, I brought a mil-tech poncho with me and once huddled in under a tree hooded up in my poncho I never got wet whatsoever. I think in those drenching conditions, even after treating my outer layers with camp dry, I would have been soaked without the poncho.

Hope that helps!
Who makes a good silk layer?

SonnyDay

WKR
I’ve gotten LLBean, Lands End, and REI in the past and they’ve all done the job…

bradyhunt

FNG
Whatever material you go with, try to find a pair that are full zip-on/off. Makes it super easy to drop trow and pull them off when it gets warmer or its time to start hiking. No need to take off your boots!

SonnyDay

WKR
Totally agree on the zip off if you can find them. I have found Marino wool base layers that zip off. Have yet to find silk. Anyone else??