Best Caliber for Deer for 200+ Yard Shots?

Crazy Coot

Lil-Rokslider
I'm considering a new gun for the upcoming season due to the new lease I was lucky enough to stumble on. It has some nice flat, open fields and I'm looking at some 200+ yard shots. What is your favorite caliber for deer for those 200+ yard shots?

ChemE

FNG
I have hunted with a pre64 model 70 Winchester Super grade featherweight in .308 since I started hunting in the 70s. It started shooting a little loose last year so I bought a new CA Mesa in 6.5 CM just today. I went with that simply because there is more 6.5 ammo in my available in area other than 308 and no one has a 308 rifle available.

Hondo64d

Lil-Rokslider
I'm considering a new gun for the upcoming season due to the new lease I was lucky enough to stumble on. It has some nice flat, open fields and I'm looking at some 200+ yard shots. What is your favorite caliber for deer for those 200+ yard shots?
There really isn’t a “best cartridge.” In terms of effectiveness, if you put two bullets of similar weight, construction and impact velocity into two deer’s vitals, the results are going to be similar.

I like the 6.5 Creedmoor because:

-Relatively light recoil because that makes it easier to shoot well.
-Factory ammo available. Even though I hand load, I want to be able to go into most places and get factory ammo in case my hand loads don’t show up with my luggage. Top quality 6.5 Creedmoor factory ammo will shoot nearly as well as hand loads in a quality rifle.
-I prefer short actions.
-Lots of high BC bullets available which aids in impact velocity and fights wind effects as ranges get long.

John

OP
C

Crazy Coot

Lil-Rokslider
My go to is a 7rem mag but honestly I would personally just get a 7mm-08 .308 or a 6.5 crd. I have all of the above and if I know I was only shooting to max 400 it would be 1 of those 3.
What ammo & weight are you using with your 7 mag?

My go to is a 7rem mag but honestly I would personally just get a 7mm-08 .308 or a 6.5 crd. I have all of the above and if I know I was only shooting to max 400 it would be 1 of those 3.
All three are great deer rounds. 6.5 CM to .308 from least to most recoil. Otherwise, nothing inside of 400 yards will notice the difference.

gjs4

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got a bunch of the calibers listed and a 257 wby, the 7s and 30s shared but my (smokeless) 45 ML is it. DRT from 5 to 400. Can ring steel at 650 but 400 from a bench rest is all I’m considering for deer shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UCFJed

FNG
While everyone will have an opinion, consider looking at your favorite brand’s ballistic chart/calculator and seeing for yourself. Once you find a caliber that has enough kinetic energy to be effective, it’s a trade off of recoil and drop rate.

Anything from 6.5 to 270 to 30-06 are all effective with modern factory ammunition. I’d recommend against more niche calibers due to the challenges with finding ammo.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
.264 caliber. .260 Rem cartridge for me, although with factory ammo 6.5 manbun is hard to beat these days. Many more options and availability than .260 Rem.