Best rifle setup for 10yr old?

Hunt the Top

Lil-Rokslider
My 10yr old daughter will be able to hunt this year for the first time in Idaho. Looking for advice on a sufficient caliber for elk and deer hunting for her. I have a few smaller calibers in mind, but obviously for elk hunting I’d like something with a little more . Appreciate any advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Titan_Bow

WKR
If elk weren’t on the menu, I suggest an AR-15 chambered in 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC. I built one for my son in 6.8 and he shot his first deer with it when he was 10. He’s since shot 3 more with that rifle and I’ve been really impressed with how well it performs on deer sized game. I think the AR platform is perfect for kids. I went with a 16” barrel and collapsible stock. It’s really lightweight, adjustable for small shooters, and there is practically no recoil at all. It’s a deer slayer for sure out to 2 or 3 hundred yards. While I do hear guys taking elk with both 6.8 SPC and 6.5 Grendel, I don’t think I’d be comfortable with it. I put together a nice little Savage Lightweght Hunter in a Boyd’s laminate stock, chambered in 6.5 creedmoor. My son took his first elk with it just a couple weeks ago. 196 yard shot on a cow and it anchored her right there, one shot.
I guess it depends on how recoil shy she is. If she can shoot something like a creed or 7mm-08 or similar, then by all means, that’s the best route. But, if she’s flinching bad and it’s too much recoil, look at an AR option in 6.8SPC or 6.5 Grendel.

OP
Hunt the Top

Hunt the Top

Lil-Rokslider
If elk weren’t on the menu, I suggest an AR-15 chambered in 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC. I built one for my son in 6.8 and he shot his first deer with it when he was 10. He’s since shot 3 more with that rifle and I’ve been really impressed with how well it performs on deer sized game. I think the AR platform is perfect for kids. I went with a 16” barrel and collapsible stock. It’s really lightweight, adjustable for small shooters, and there is practically no recoil at all. It’s a deer slayer for sure out to 2 or 3 hundred yards. While I do hear guys taking elk with both 6.8 SPC and 6.5 Grendel, I don’t think I’d be comfortable with it. I put together a nice little Savage Lightweght Hunter in a Boyd’s laminate stock, chambered in 6.5 creedmoor. My son took his first elk with it just a couple weeks ago. 196 yard shot on a cow and it anchored her right there, one shot.
I guess it depends on how recoil shy she is. If she can shoot something like a creed or 7mm-08 or similar, then by all means, that’s the best route. But, if she’s flinching bad and it’s too much recoil, look at an AR option in 6.8SPC or 6.5 Grendel.

Awesome, thanks

BFR

WKR
My grandson was very recoil shy at 10, I got him a Ruger Patriot youth in 7mm 08 and used H4895 and downloaded to 50% of max and 100 grain Sierra bullets. Then increased loads as he was comfortable, now he’s shooting close to max with 140gr Accubonds. Started my granddaughter the same way last year. Between them they have taken 5 deer, 1 shot on each one. My wife used now wants to trade in her Browning BAR 30-06 in for one in 7mm 08.

Maybe you have already done this, but after starting my 10 yr old boy out on centerfire rifles this year, I'm a big fan of using a .223 for a first rifle. 10 yr olds, particularly girls, will have a hard time with manipulation of the rifle simply due to limited strength and coordination. Being able to burn through stacks of cheap 55 gr bulk ammo with little recoil really helped with his shooting and rifle handling.

I have a youth 7-08 waiting for him in the safe, but the .223 proved effective on deer this fall and I have no problem waiting a a bit before moving him up to bigger calibers and larger animals. 10 yrs old is pretty young yet, and neither of us have anything to prove.

I guess I would recommend... start small, and work up. No need to jump right to elk guns. You get there when you get there.

A ruger no 1. Carbine In a small caliber is hard to beat. The KISS method is at its finest here! My two kids have one each in short international model in 257BOB and 7X57. I cut the stock down to 12” LOP.
SIMPLE to learn, operate, shoot and clean!
Lightweight/well balanced
Single Shot- it’s loaded or it is not
Tang safety
No exposed cocking device/hammer to tempt the young and curious

eric1115

WKR
I would add another vote for 7mm-08. My 10 yr old has been shooting stacks of .17hmr the last several years, and a fair bit of .223 out of my AR, and has done great with Hornady reduced recoil 120 grain ammo. I rezeroed with the 120 grain Nosler BT for deer, and he never felt the difference. It's a light gun (Ruger American Compact) and I filled the butt stock with sand for him to shoot at the range.

Also mounted a qr plate to the stock just forward of the mag well, and he is reliable with that seated position, rifle on a tripod, out to 250 or so.

ericF

WKR
Going in another direction, think about adding a dedicated hunting suppressor into the mix. Something like the Silencerco Harvester will reduce the recoil of a 308 to below a 243. My buddys daughter started off on the 243 but was having issues due to the percussive blast and recoil so he borrowed my Ruger American Predator 308 with the Harvester on it and she shot that with no problems. He has since bought a few suppressors and jumped on the bandwagon for his kids.

WKR
A suppressor should be screwed on to any of them. They'll love shooting so much more.

Rs3003

WKR
A Browning xbolt composite micro. It has a factory muzzle break. Keep break on for targets and remove when in the field. This my plan in a couple years.

Diesel

WKR
Agree with the 7mm.08 as the caliber and Ruger #1 for rifle. I would put a scope on it to focus the mind and up the success rate to encourage future hunts. Having only one shot helps concentration and could be a safety issue after the shot when adrenaline is peaked.

rino

FNG
My son started out with a 7mm08 Ruger M77 Mark II, had a 3 pound trigger job done. Great gun...

He's shot a few antelope, few deer and a cow elk with it.

Diesel

WKR
Just another thought.

When my wife wanted to take up hunting, she wanted her own "deer rifle". I bought her a .243 and a .308 but would not let her shoot either one till she had shot the .22 till she was an accurate shooter. She wanted to shoot her new rifles really bad but I wouldn't let her. When she wanted to know why, I told her she would find out later.

I shot both rifles in for her and first shot with the .243 was at a big doe that she anchored with that first shot at about 200 yards. Later I asked what she thought of the new rifle and she loved it. Next question was did she feel any recoil and she said no, never felt a thing.

The focus on the deer was so intense that recoil was never realized. If she would have shot those rifles from the bench, the report and recoil would have been much more noticed and may have introduced flinch into her shooting.

I have introduced all the kids to shooting that way and it really works well.

Check out ballistic charts for the 7mm.08 and compare with any 30 cal. Note felt recoil in same weight rifles and it should show the 7mm.08 as lowest of the bunch. That should convince you why so many here have recommended that caliber.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
aS86pGz.jpg

Barrel from Match Grade Machine chambered in 7-08. The whole gun is 34" long and just over 6 lbs.

It works good for my 10 year old :cool:

eY7O35y.jpg

I should note that the .270 WIN I had her using (8-9 years old) worked well but it was too big for her to position very well so I built that 7-08. She was just as deadly with the .270 though.

3kuEpZh.jpg

xVoD2gi.jpg

Last edited:

3sdad

FNG
I was in the same situation this year with my 10 year old son. Ended up using a 6x45, loaded with an 85 grn partition. nearly no recoil. He killed a little 3x4 mule deer. 1 shot is all. If that's not your style then I would use a 223 and be done. As the kids grow and become more comfortable with shooting then I would get another rifle.

mlgc20

WKR
I got my 10 yo daughter a youth model 308 and she shot Hornady’s reduced recoil ammo. She now has a 6.5 Creed as well. She shoots them both with regular recoil ammo now that she is 13. I started her with a 22 at around age 6 and an AR in 300 blackout a little later. She transitioned very well to the 308.