Best sleeper states for elk and moose?

bcvolk12

FNG
Young man, at the beginning of hopefully a lifetime of hunting big game here in the US of A. Currently don't have the money for guide services or fancy trips. There will be a time that I'll develop a desire to hunt only top end animals, and won't settle for less than trophy quality, but for now I need to get my feet wet just getting out there and trying to do it for myself. As such, hoping to pick y'alls brains about some of the lesser known states for quality moose and elk. Wanting to enter into the draw, without throwing my hat in on only the most competitive states. Let me know what y'all think - would love to hear some success stories

bobr1

WKR
lol. Yeah I don't think anyone is going to tell you that and if they did they are probably joking. Also, there are no sleeper states for elk if you are a non resident. You should probably do research, there is enough info on the forum using the search function to help guide you better. As for moose.....well most are once in a lifetime high points low draw odds tags unless you go to Alaska. But that is also going to cost a lot of money even without a guide.

Maverick1

WKR
3 posts?! Good luck in your journey! Lots of information out there. Will be very challenging/difficult to get a moose tag. Check out the drawing odds for multiple states, should give you an idea of what you are up against.

Rob5589

WKR
If there were "sleeper states," they wouldn't be after posting them. There is a ton of information available for every state. The fish and game websites are a great start and there are also pay websites like GoHunt, HuntinFool, etc. Good luck!

OP
B

bcvolk12

FNG
I appreciate the response nam1975, I'll look into it. Based on the research I have already done on it, Maine sounds like it'd be a hell of a place to chase a moose. Haven't seen much on those Kentucky and Pennsylvania elk hunts, interesting idea.

And yea you're probably right bobr1 and geewhiz - I forgot that states are small swaths of land, and that by stimulating discussion on people having successful hunts "somewhere" in those discussed states, that this single forum will essentially ruin it for everyone lol. What a joke. I'm not asking for cold numbers, I've already been combing through those. I've already got an idea of the draw applications that are long vs short plays. I'm asking for stories from people that know of or have hunted some of those unrepresented states, to get me fired up and help me make a decision one way or the other

Jaker_cc

WKR
I appreciate the response nam1975, I'll look into it. Based on the research I have already done on it, Maine sounds like it'd be a hell of a place to chase a moose. Haven't seen much on those Kentucky and Pennsylvania elk hunts, interesting idea.

And yea you're probably right bobr1 and geewhiz - I forgot that states are small swaths of land, and that by stimulating discussion on people having successful hunts "somewhere" in those discussed states, that this single forum will essentially ruin it for everyone lol. What a joke. I'm not asking for cold numbers, I've already been combing through those. I've already got an idea of the draw applications that are long vs short plays. I'm asking for stories from people that know of or have hunted some of those unrepresented states, to get me fired up and help me make a decision one way or the other

You will get absolutely nowhere with this attitude on this site. Best of luck

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree there's no secrets left out there, someone done it and posted it up YouTube.

My advice is pick a tag and hit it hard, you learn so much from that first trip.

Everyone starts somewhere, no need to spray the new guy with your negativity.
71f6764281bcd75eb4da62dc38a18d4e.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR
Any state with an otc tag, you can do this for both elk and moose, well I think moose.

gabenzeke

WKR
AK for moose. It's low draw odds in the lower 48. Elk....well....there are no sleeper states. Just get tags where you can and hunt.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I will share the secret 🤫 $$$$$. Put in the draw odds all you want but my best advice is to get the best job (or jobs) and career possible to be able to pursue your goals.

If you don’t think you can do that (make $$$$) then pick the state (or Province) you live in wisely since the affordable hunting will depend on it.

Last edited:

bobr1

WKR

Dude, don't get butt hurt. Your response doesn't surprise me, it is typical for people who ask questions like this. I gave you the reality of the situation and told you what you should be doing. If you take the time to use the site and search the forums there is more information than you will ever know what to do with. How about instead of looking for "a sleeper state" you just go hunt an otc unit and learn. Or maybe try Nebraska as a sleeper state, think they had 94 tags last year.

Last edited:

Geewhiz

WKR
No intention of being a dick. But in all honesty, there really aren’t sleeper states for big game animals like moose and elk. If it’s an option i guarantee it hasn’t gone unnoticed.

Like somebody mentioned, do your research and find yourself a good unit that you would like to hunt, and start buying points every year. If your young enough and it sounds like you are, eventually you will draw and have one heck of a hunt.

But as far as units go, just be aware that anything mentioned in any post will show up on a google search for anyone using the world wide web .

If you start telling success stories about underrepresented states on a forum like this, next year everyone and their dog will be there claiming they discovered it all on their own. Not to be a negative nancy but that’s the facts.

BuzzH

WKR
Young man, at the beginning of hopefully a lifetime of hunting big game here in the US of A. Currently don't have the money for guide services or fancy trips. There will be a time that I'll develop a desire to hunt only top end animals, and won't settle for less than trophy quality, but for now I need to get my feet wet just getting out there and trying to do it for myself. As such, hoping to pick y'alls brains about some of the lesser known states for quality moose and elk. Wanting to enter into the draw, without throwing my hat in on only the most competitive states. Let me know what y'all think - would love to hear some success stories
Being how you're young....the ONLY secret State for what you're looking for is a State of financial well being where drawing a tag in unnecessary.

Get yourself a quality education that makes you obscene amounts of money...you're not getting to do anything that often hunting wise going the regular guy route or looking for unfound opportunities. Make the money and jump ahead of guys like me...no reason to apply for tags if you have the money.

I was about the last generation where a regular working stiff could hunt multiple states, enter point systems on the ground floor, etc. That ship has sailed and the odds for even pronghorn are crap compared to 10 years ago.

You can still splash around hunting easier to draw tags and such, but if its quality and lots of quantity you want when it comes to hunting...it takes money to do so more than a couple times in your lifetime.

Buck197

WKR

Quite a few states you'd not expect have small elk populations with limited hunting, its kind of funny how many residents of those states don't even realize it.

22lr

WKR
Alaska for both! Elk may not be OTC, but they are here and accessible if you brave the island weather. They just require a boat or float plane to access so they seem expensive compared to the typical Midwest/western hunt.

For moose, some of the trips to Newfoundland look pretty promising (less antler restrictions than most of Alaska units). But Alaska is alot cheaper than most folks realize. Just realize the locals (me included) will be everywhere you want to be if its accessible from water or the road. So if you want to get away from people, and have a wilderness hunt, pick a unit and get a bush plane to fly ya in.