Bipod or no bipod?

jpmulk

WKR
For backcountry hunting, do you prefer to have a bipod on your rifle or not?

Moserkr

WKR
I put a yoke with an arca plate on my tripod so it doubles for shooting and glassing. Or just shoot off my pack, tree, rock, knee, whatever.

Ill keep looking for the holy grail thats affordable (keyword) - trekking poles with a third leg for glassing, shooting, hiking, and tipi pole. Would save another pound to do that but its asking a lot from different pieces of gear - stability, height, and ease of use plus ultralight. If someone can invent that for ~$100, not including trekking poles or head, they have an opportunity.

Rock-o

WKR
I carry a bipod. Being new to western hunting it seems I'm very fortunate that I've always been able to use my bipod since I'm not prepared for anything else. This coming summer I am going to practice shooting from different positions and with different aids like my pack or trekking poles. I also, want to get an Arca plate for my rifle. At that point I'll be able to ditch the almost 1lb Atlas.

Wapiti151

WKR
I always bring trekking poles, they make for great shooting sticks, use them if I need to get higher off the ground. For anything prone I can shoot off my pack. I’m thinking about getting a spartan pro hunt though. I’ve always liked the concept, carry the bipod in your pocket or pack and quickly attach if need. Not having to carry the rifle with the bipod attached is attractive to me. I guess what’s kept me from it so far, if I have to get in my pack to get my bipod, why not just use my pack. Lol

Last edited:

coiloil37

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve run the same 12-27” Harris on my rifles every single time I’ve gone hunting, target practicing or developing a load since the late 90’s. From gophers to elk/moose on every centerfire rifle ALWAYS. I typically pack 5-6lb rifles so the added weight of the bipod is tolerable. It may be a crutch but one that’s provided me a steady rest on every shot, wherever I was and whatever I was shooting over (tall grass etc.) for 20+ years and I suspect it’ll be there until I quit shooting.

OP
jpmulk

jpmulk

WKR
Seems pretty split between no bipod, shooting sticks, and bipod. Personal preference I guess.

I’ve only ever used a bipod for one season. Didn’t like it due to the extra weight. I also had tried one of those Harris bipods that go all of the way up to 27”. Just never seemed to be the right heights for me on level ground. And if shooting prone, which is preferred, my pack has always worked. But I’ve been toying with thre idea of trying it again.

I rarely use a bipod especially when on foot. I did however get a set of wiser quik stixs for my trekking poles that are pretty cool. Machine plastic piece that clamps onto each pole and you just mate them together and twist and they make a nice shooting support. I set mine up for shooting from a knee since it’s higher than my pack frame and is a pretty common situation for me in sage brush. I didn’t have a chance to use them in a hunting shot yet but have had them on all season and never noticed them in the way or anything. I figure eventually that shot will come up and I’ll have a good support. Otherwise I typically shoot off the pack or I’ve used the top of the trekking pole as a monopod. https://www.wiserprecision.com/products/quick-stix

SDHNTR

WKR
Bipod, but quick attach/detach. So not want to tote it around attached to the rifle. Javelin if weight is an issue, Hatch if not.

Hschweers

Lil-Rokslider
Spartan javelin light bipod with the pro legs in 20-34”. Use them on the lower end for seated shots, and on the upper end for kneeling shots. If you don’t need it, or while you’re moving, just pop it off (magnet) and put it in your bag.

Edit: also have the standard length legs for prone but a backpack works just the same and don’t have to swap the legs out before the shot.

Im in the bipod camp. I didnt tote one all the time when I only had the heavy Harris models but switched over to carbon fiber and feel that that added weight is worth it. Plus I love being able to set my rifle down in a rest position without worrying about finding a tree to lean it up against.

Zappaman

WKR
Always carry a full length "trigger stick" bi-pod in the left hand when staking. I usually keep them extended most of the way for a faster standing shot. I can have the rifle down on the sticks, adjust and shoot within seconds- its second nature. I can also sit with them set wide (on the shortest setting). They are also excellent in a sitting ground blind. Here in Kansas we hunt in a lot of mud and getting down on a pack means your wearing that mud on your pack and chest for the day ;)