Bipod or no bipod?

Is that the newer model? I have the older one but it wobbles a bit so it stays on the AR. Was hoping they fixed the older model issues.
I do not think the new one that is all polymer is out yet, at least on their website. How much wobble do you experience, and is this bench shooting or out on a hunt?

I really like this idea. I 'm going to look into this
I rarely use a bipod especially when on foot. I did however get a set of wiser quik stixs for my trekking poles that are pretty cool. Machine plastic piece that clamps onto each pole and you just mate them together and twist and they make a nice shooting support. I set mine up for shooting from a knee since it’s higher than my pack frame and is a pretty common situation for me in sage brush. I didn’t have a chance to use them in a hunting shot yet but have had them on all season and never noticed them in the way or anything. I figure eventually that shot will come up and I’ll have a good support. Otherwise I typically shoot off the pack or I’ve used the top of the trekking pole as a monopod. https://www.wiserprecision.com/products/quick-stix

68Plexi

WKR
Depends on the hunt but for a 2oz heavier option I like my newest Magpul bipod at 11 oz.

I use this one too. I’m not shooting more than 300-400 yards in the field and it’s better than resting my rifle on my pack. I missed a nice buck a few years ago not being able to get my rifle up off the ground enough and that’s when I put the bipod on.

Probably not the best for match shooters because there is some wiggle in it if I don’t get pressure into it correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jager1234

FNG
The spartan bipods are so lightweight, you don’t feel that in your bag… love shooting from a bipod…

Two Roads

Lil-Rokslider
I bring a Harris in pack, have for years. If time permits, always use it. If hurry up setup, shoot off pack or the famous tree lean in timber under 200.. But, I am lightweight rifle guy and practice.

WKR
Never on my hunting rifle. And I’ve never missed not having one. All but one of my elk kills have been inside of 300 yards. Most in the timber and much closer.

My police tactical rifle has a Harris, so I am proficient at bipod use. But I don’t see the juice being worth the squeeze for a stalker’s rifle.

RT84

FNG
I always have a Harris on mine. I’ve only used it on one of the last 5 animals I’ve taken, but it’s nice to have when there’s time.

Seeknelk

WKR
Spartan Javelin pro Legs and light weight rear bag both on my bino harness.
Bino harness itself makes a great rear bag also. One less thing.
But seriously, the Spartan javelin is so light ,handy n quick I don't know why a person wouldn't have one handy. Especially with the gunsmith adapter set flush in the stock.

I like the pros of the V2 Snipepod … very light, easy on-off, stashes nicely in the pocket when not in use and stable enough. Small penalty for carrying it around and not needing it. Huge win for the occasional of times when you do need it and shooting off a pack isn’t high enough.

For backcountry hunting, do you prefer to have a bipod on your rifle or not?
No bipod. I don’t want extra junk on my rifle to make it any heavier or unwieldy. A pack, tree limb or trekking poles work fine for longer shots. A pack can be set standing up if more elevation is needed.

msstate56

Lil-Rokslider
For the ones that don’t run a bipod, just using a pack, shooting sticks, etc- what is your comfortable shooting range? If you are only shooting 300 yards and in I can see the point of ditching the bipod. I think shot distance is a critical element of this discussion.

I hunt both ways, bipod and no bipod, depending on the conditions. If I’m shooting beyond 500 yards I prefer a bipod if the terrain allows it. Or I will latch into my tripod standing if needed.

Like others mentioned- I’m strongly considering bipod full time just to prop up my rifle. I don’t usually use a sling, preferring to carry my rifle in hand.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
I feel like a big part of keeping steady/firm and making long range shots in the backcountry is due to my bipod and pack shooting form. Depending on the situation I’m either using my bipod alone or using it on my pack with the legs angled forward most the time. With a small bipod like the atlas I use sometimes you need more elevation with the pack.

For the ones that don’t run a bipod, just using a pack, shooting sticks, etc- what is your comfortable shooting range?

I'm one of the no bipod hunters. I'm comfortable on deer-size game out to 600 yards, if necessary, but prefer 250 yards or less, if possible.

msstate56

Lil-Rokslider
I should add- that I believe getting closer should always be the first and most preferred option. However there are times when you just can't get closer. I've had hunts where I had to take a shot over 600 yards, and having a bipod definitely helped me make those shots. I'm not advocating shooting an animal at "long range" just to do it.