Bipod sampling spree results summary

SDHNTR

WKR
I've recently tried several bipods in search for one that is perfect for my needs. Long story, short... The search continues. There is no perfect.

Spartan Javelin. Best option if you NEED featherlight. But it's also the least stable of the 3 I've recently tried. The carbon makes it light, but then it also has some flex to it. The joints also have some slop/wiggle to them. Also, if you need to shoot sitting/kneeling, there is no fast way to depoly longer legs. You have to screw them in separately. Nonetheless, if on a backpack hunt, this is still the one I'd want. I shot a buck this year at 508yards off of it and it obviously worked.

Atlas Somethingorother. I can't keep their confusing model names straight. It has the pic rail q/d mount, the longer legs that are non rotating. By far the most well made of the group. The machining is incredibly precise and there is no slop or wiggle at all. It's vault tight and the quality is evident. The most stable option by far, but that stability comes with a price, it's bulky and heavy. Not a backpack option, IMO. But man, it sure is nice. My only other complaint is the leg height. Even the longer legs are not long enough to sit with, so I'm not sure why they offer this version. It's a strange size, not long enough to offer any functional advantage over the shorter legs, so seemingly not very useful. Stick with the short legs and save yourself the weight. If they could figure out a way to trim this thing down in weight and bulk, and offer sitting height legs (I realize that's a tall order) they'd have hands down winner.

Hatch. The most functional of the group for a hunter. Sitting height legs that are quickly deployed. Folds up trim and not terribly heavy. The weight is an acceptable tradeoff for the functionality. Well made overall, but not compared to the Atlas. The machining and joints are just not as precise. Even in the non-extended form, there is an unacceptable amount of slop/wiggle to the legs. Reminds me of a cheapo Harris. It's better than nothing, sure, but at high power and long range, those wiggles are going to be a problem. The leg joints have a good 1/8" slop to them. Frankly, for the price, which is comparable to Atlas, I expected better. I really want to like this model as it's so practical, but that excess slop is unforgivable. If they could figure this out and tighten up the clearances to reduce the slop, it would be the hands down winner. Frustrating, as it's close.

So back to the drawing board. The search continues for a hunting bipod that is not oppressively heavy and bulky. That can be used seated and/or kneeling, and that is well made with tight machining clearance and low tolerances.

Last edited:
Have you tried the Swagger bipod stalker QD42? I had one of their original and thought it was a joke, too heavy and never felt stable. I did like the idea behind the crazy legs and the infinite angles and lengths tho. Thought about trying the stalker qd42 but just picked up a Spartan davros and mounts for my guns..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Have you tried the Swagger bipod stalker QD42? I had one of their original and thought it was a joke, too heavy and never felt stable. I did like the idea behind the crazy legs and the infinite angles and lengths tho. Thought about trying the stalker qd42 but just picked up a Spartan davros and mounts for my guns..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, my thoughts are the same as yours. A big plastic joke of a product. Not interested.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
There are so many bipod options out there. I like Atlas bipods, they are awesome and have versions to fit everyone. But, weight is a problem like you said. That's where I like the Modular Evolution bipod, it operates and feels much like the Atlas, but is lighter and has options for longer legs, that are designed for hunters.

The Cykepod double and triple pull might be closer to what you want. They are the highest quality machining and very robust. But, they are spendy. I bought a Cykepod for range and match use, and it is the best bipod I've had and used. It is still not what I will carry on hunts. Look at the weights if it matches, do some more research.

I never found anything I liked either. Sitting bipods were never sturdy enough for me. If I use a bipod, and sometimes I do carry one of the shooting sticks version that are like tent poles for quick mobility like shooting coyotes inside 300 yards.

When it comes to big game hunting, the best bipod I have, has a third leg.Most people call it a tripod and already carry one for their optics (hahahaha). If I were going to use a bipod, and sometimes I do carry one of the shooting sticks version that are like tent poles for quick mobility like shooting coyotes. If you take your current tripod, add an attachment for your rifle or use a shooting bag over the head, you will have a solution that is FAR better and more versatile than a bipod.

If you absolutely want a bipod, I would tell you to find a tripod you like and then unscrew the third leg. An inexpensive tripod will be better for the weight than any bipod I know of on the market. You can mount directly to the tripod or add some sort of a light weight head. Or, you can use your current tripod, but just don't extend the third leg.

I have used tripods with kids, new shooters, hunters, and experienced shooters. I can always get them quickly and easily into a stable position. I will be doing an ongoing series on shooting with a tripod that will show up in the long range shooting tips in the forum.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
There are so many bipod options out there. I like Atlas bipods, they are awesome and have versions to fit everyone. But, weight is a problem like you said. That's where I like the Modular Evolution bipod, it operates and feels much like the Atlas, but is lighter and has options for longer legs, that are designed for hunters.

The Cykepod double and triple pull might be closer to what you want. They are the highest quality machining and very robust. But, they are spendy. I bought a Cykepod for range and match use, and it is the best bipod I've had and used. It is still not what I will carry on hunts. Look at the weights if it matches, do some more research.

I never found anything I liked either. Sitting bipods were never sturdy enough for me. If I use a bipod, and sometimes I do carry one of the shooting sticks version that are like tent poles for quick mobility like shooting coyotes inside 300 yards.

When it comes to big game hunting, the best bipod I have, has a third leg.Most people call it a tripod and already carry one for their optics (hahahaha). If I were going to use a bipod, and sometimes I do carry one of the shooting sticks version that are like tent poles for quick mobility like shooting coyotes. If you take your current tripod, add an attachment for your rifle or use a shooting bag over the head, you will have a solution that is FAR better and more versatile than a bipod.

If you absolutely want a bipod, I would tell you to find a tripod you like and then unscrew the third leg. An inexpensive tripod will be better for the weight than any bipod I know of on the market. You can mount directly to the tripod or add some sort of a light weight head. Or, you can use your current tripod, but just don't extend the third leg.

I have used tripods with kids, new shooters, hunters, and experienced shooters. I can always get them quickly and easily into a stable position. I will be doing an ongoing series on shooting with a tripod that will show up in the long range shooting tips in the forum.

This is awesome input, thanks for sharing!

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Yes, I've tried the tripod option with a saddle rest. Takes too long, imo. And I don't always want to carry my tripod.

This is not an impossible quest. The Hatch would be just about perfect with better construction that eliminated the slop in the main leg joint. Yes the Cykepod looks good, but I just can't get over that price tag.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
These kids shot their does easily off the tripod with one clean shot. I had them practice with a .22 and they were hitting cans at 50 yards easily. They hadn't fired a centerfire rifle before.

They could easily line up the shot, find the doe in the scope, and get a steady rest with an elbow on the knee. Dad carried the tripod and lined it up with the leg pointing to the doe. The kids indexed off that to line up.

It is one of many tripod positions available. In fact, there is no more versatile peice of gear than the tripod for ahooting, IMO.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yes, I've tried the tripod option with a saddle rest. Takes too long, imo. And I don't always want to carry my tripod.
Yes, that's absolutely one drawback of the tripod, speed to deploy. Application is 100% gonna dictate tools and tactics.

We don't disagree at all, I just want to add to the conversation because the use of a tripod in any shooting sport is quite new. I got to learn some from the bleeding edge of instruction. Tripod are just coming to mainstream market specific to shooting and just entering the hunting world in any meaningful way. There isn't a lot of good instruction or even videos out there. I was just reviewing some today. And, it is a little harder to shoot than prone off a bipod, so some shooters never get past the initial awkward phase, those are a lot of the tripid videos out there.

If I need speed, like immediate shots in a window of seconds, I just go with the shooting sticks that deploy like tent poles. IMO, the sitting version of attached bipods don't offer anything over those for quick short shots. And, those quick shots are typically closer than 300 and don't need the stability offered by a tripod.

When guys are looking for sitting bipods that are light and offer long range compatible stability, there really aren't any that can beat a tripod.

I practice with my tripod to make speed less of an issue. Although, if the bipod has twist lock legs, it won't be much faster. And, I think they give up too much stability for longer shots that a hunter might have.

If someone has 120 seconds to shoot an animal, they can deploy a tripod and rifle directly from the pack and be prepared to break the shot in less than two minutes. I have done it in competition, breaking many shots in the 120 seconds. And, like I said, I have done it hunting as well.

I don't like the saddle rests that much. They aren't as versatile, are slower and add unnecessary weight to the pack.

This was a bipod post, but given the OP statement and assumptions I made, I kinda hijacked it. I will be done in this thread unless OP asks me a question.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm not sure what guys are talking about when they say the Atlas are heavy. My Gen2 Tall CAL with 2-screw mount is 14.5oz, which is lighter than my 9"-13" Harris with a podlok. Nobody bats an eye at Harris, and often claims that the Harris is a lightweight option. My Atlas V8 is only ~11.5 oz, which is on par with the Magpul bipod in terms of weight.

I would agree that a tripod is the way to go if you are looking at an either/or option. A saddle or clamp mount sucks, but a direct mount with the right head makes life easy.
The person trying an Atlas is well past the Harris phase... the Harris is the lowest common denominator in bipods.

You are right, Atlas is not heavy for a bipod, but it is more than some people want. Its that pursuit of extremes.

Lawnboi

WKR
Big fan of the atlas cal gen2 tall. It’s a little heavy, but I prefer a bipod always on my gun.

I find a tall the most versatile in the field. No reason not to with the cal and it’s 45 degree leg knotch. I don’t know how guys get away with the short models in the field.

If it’s seated, I agree a tripod is the tool the the job. Key is to find a system that’s fast and easy.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor

This is not an impossible quest. The Hatch would be just about perfect with better construction that eliminated the slop in the main leg joint. Yes the Cykepod looks good, but I just can't get over that price tag.

My hatch has no slop and locks up as tight as an atlas. The problem with mine is the slip on pictinny rail mount is just a micron too big and it wants to scratch the hell out of my stock if i can wiggle it on at all. I shimmed the pictinny rail with some plastic washers from sling studs and it works but its a little frustrating. I had the idea to cut a kydex shim a couple days ago but havent done it yet. Like you I have tried most of all and settled on this one being the best for hunting scenarios. Range time atlas all the way though.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
and like you I have and like the spartan but the mounting system really turns me off. I feel a little bit better that they now have the pictinny + spartan mount option but at the price they are asking I only have 2. At this point in my guns life it really just needs to be a pictinny rail mount.

JakeSCH

WKR
I've recently tried several bipods in search for one that is perfect for my needs. Long story, short... The search continues. There is no perfect.

Spartan Javelin. Best option if you NEED featherlight. But it's also the least stable of the 3 I've recently tried. The carbon makes it light, but then it also has some flex to it. The joints also have some slop/wiggle to them. Also, if you need to shoot sitting/kneeling, there is no fast way to depoly longer legs. You have to screw them in separately. Nonetheless, if on a backpack hunt, this is still the one I'd want. I shot a buck this year at 508yards off of it and it obviously worked.

Atlas Somethingorother. I can't keep their confusing model names straight. It has the pic rail q/d mount, the longer legs that are non rotating. By far the most well made of the group. The machining is incredibly precise and there is no slop or wiggle at all. It's vault tight and the quality is evident. The most stable option by far, but that stability comes with a price, it's bulky and heavy. Not a backpack option, IMO. But man, it sure is nice. My only other complaint is the leg height. Even the longer legs are not long enough to sit with, so I'm not sure why they offer this version. It's a strange size, not long enough to offer any functional advantage over the shorter legs, so seemingly not very useful. Stick with the short legs and save yourself the weight. If they could figure out a way to trim this thing down in weight and bulk, and offer sitting height legs (I realize that's a tall order) they'd have hands down winner.

Hatch. The most functional of the group for a hunter. Sitting height legs that are quickly deployed. Folds up trim and not terribly heavy. The weight is an acceptable tradeoff for the functionality. Well made overall, but not compared to the Atlas. The machining and joints are just not as precise. Even in the non-extended form, there is an unacceptable amount of slop/wiggle to the legs. Reminds me of a cheapo Harris. It's better than nothing, sure, but at high power and long range, those wiggles are going to be a problem. The leg joints have a good 1/8" slop to them. Frankly, for the price, which is comparable to Atlas, I expected better. I really want to like this model as it's so practical, but that excess slop is unforgivable. If they could figure this out and tighten up the clearances to reduce the slop, it would be the hands down winner. Frustrating, as it's close.

So back to the drawing board. The search continues for a hunting bipod that is not oppressively heavy and bulky. That can be used seated and/or kneeling, and that is well made with tight machining clearance and low tolerances.

Swap out the Spartan legs for the GTP-RS legs and stability improves tremendously. I was on the fence about my spartan until I made the switch, plus you can quickly add your trekking poles to get higher off the ground as needed.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
My hatch has no slop and locks up as tight as an atlas. The problem with mine is the slip on pictinny rail mount is just a micron too big and it wants to scratch the hell out of my stock if i can wiggle it on at all. I shimmed the pictinny rail with some plastic washers from sling studs and it works but its a little frustrating. I had the idea to cut a kydex shim a couple days ago but havent done it yet. Like you I have tried most of all and settled on this one being the best for hunting scenarios. Range time atlas all the way though.
Well there's a chance I maybe got a dud Hatch. Where the top of the legs screw into the "head", you don't have slop there? I have a lot!

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Well there's a chance I maybe got a dud Hatch. Where the top of the legs screw into the "head", you don't have slop there? I have a lot!
For sure no slop there. Honestly mines almost too tight. takes a concerted effort to pull out legs into position and also to pull the pin to get the legs to "spread". Like you its the best "Hunting" bipod that i have found that has a wide range of adjustment. Since there is no slop in the leg attachments its very comfortable to shoot with sitting and since it attaches to the gun doesnt have the slide effect that trekking pole adapters have. I can hit a 6" plate at 300 pretty easy almost everytime with it sitting with the rear unsupported.

My only problem is the pictinny adapter being too small.

I remember why i poo pooed the ckyepod, the arca mount and price. I dont need another mount system.

I handled a swagger and though it was gimmicky.

A sitting bipod just doesn’t seem like the best tool in most situations IMO. Shooting sticks seem better because you can adjust to the terrain and body height much quicker. Tripod is better for precision but slower.

WKR
I'm happily slumming a tall Harris with quick detach on a pic rail under the forearm. Hike in. Pop bipod on in a few seconds with the flick of lever and ready to go. Shot a whitetail at 650 yards using it while sitting above yuccas. It works for me nicely. Think it is a Larue quick detach but I'd have to look.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
UPDATE: Per Hatch's suggestion, I tightened the legs on their bipod and it took out a lot of the slop. Much improved, but I can't help but think from an engineering standpoint, there has to be a better way. Like a pushbutton system, similar to Atlas, to change the front to back leg angle. That way you can easily achieve the same functionality, yet with much tighter clearance and less tolerance. It doesn't seem very practical that increased bolt tension is what is required to remove slop, but at the same time that also increases tension so much that it can also prevent actuation of the legs. Slop and leg functionality should not be mutually exclusive.

Hatch was very kind and responsive via email offering suggestions, but I think the ultimate answer lies simply in different engineering. They did say to lean into the slop to "preload." OK. No to be a jerk, but to that I would say, come up with a different design that doesn't have slop to begin with. Doesn't seem that hard to devise an improved leg joint system. If they did, I'd confidently say, they've created the perfect hunter's bipod!

Last edited: