Black Bear Bullet

I'm getting ready for our late black bear season and have 7Mag reloads with the 150 gr. NBT. This is a great deer bullet but thinking I might ought to load a less frangible bullet like the Accubond. Anyone have any suggestions.

tburke86

FNG
I use Barnes. They make holes. Accubond has worked great for me in the past. Last bull I shot with 200gr AB was a perfect mushroom under the skin on the far side.

TNTBR

Lil-Rokslider
Have killed 5-7 with Accubonds in my 300 and maybe double that with Partitions. End result for both bullets were dead bears, but the best bullet won't compensate for poor shot placement.

We’ve killed quite a few black bears and my take is they are a lot more like deer than elk. Generally thin skinned and small. Any bullet in the right spot will do, preferably breaking the front shoulder for short tracking.

Now for bowhunting the long hair, potential fat and shoulder bones does change the aiming spot to middle of the middle.

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
black bears are not hard to put down if you put your bullet in the vitals. Pretty sure your well placed 150gr NBT will work fine.

I personally use 140gr barnes TTSX out of my 7mm-08. "I use this rifle/bullet for everything from blacktail to elk."

My hunting partner shoots 160gr accubonds from his 7 mag and his 12 year old daughter uses 120 Gr TTSX's from her 7mm-08.

All 3 put Vancouver Island bears down rather efficiently.

Read1t48

WKR
Barnes TTSX for me. I like big holes, too. Their fat, no matter the time of year, can plug holes easy. I haven’t shot one yet with my bow but I hope to.

A BT is perfectly fine and you will be plenty fine. If concerned, you should get similar accuracy out of an accubond which is a do- anything bullet.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Mosby

WKR
A BT isn't going to exit and I prefer to make two holes with black bears so I use either Barnes or Nosler Partitions. Barnes TSX are more accurate in my rifles.

Nimpkish

FNG
As most have mentioned. Shot placement is always key. A bonded bullet or mono would be a safe bet. TTSX is my personal preference

Elkhntr08

WKR
Knowing where and how you’re hunting would be helpful. Big difference in a 30 yard shot over bait vs a 200 yard spot and stalk shot.

Wildbuck

FNG
+1 for the Accubonds. But I’ve had success with others as well. Just put it where it should go and you should be fine.

i think you are totally fine with what you have.... like mentioned above, bear are more like deer than elk. shoot them in the lungs and they die crazy easy.... one of the quickest dying critters there are.... shoot a bear bad, and they are among the toughest critters alive. i have killed a couple and seen a few more die to SST's out of a 270, which is a soft splattery bullet, and none made it far at all, and a couple were pass throughs, and those bullets don't always exit deer.

i am shooting terminal ascents this year out of my gender bender (6.5creed) i think, just because i'm curious about the bullet, but i wouldn't hesitate shooting a bear with any bullet i would shoot at a deer. if those bullets are shooting well, roll with it. i would personally go with a softer more explosive bullet if i was picking a bullet particularly for bear.... massive disruption of the lungs of a bear and you don't need a blood trail, they are gonna be right there close, and will probably moan out to tell you exactly where they die.

NBT are good bullets. If you are wanting to reload and change, see if your gun can shoot 162gr ELDX. Pretty accurate round with good results.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Black bears are thin skinned. Not sure why everyone thinks you need a sledgehammer to kill one. Any good deer load will kill a bear.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk