BUY ONCE CRY ONCE. ~a thread~

Hey guys. Looking at going in on the buy once, cry once. Looking hard at a Swarovski ATX. Does anyone see a major difference (for the price point) of the 65/85/95 spotters? 50/50 on backpacking and glassing from the road. As of now, I spend 90% of my time behind my binos finding game but need something to judge age and scores of deer at a distance.

Super tag

WKR
I started with the STX 65 and went up to the 95, rarely use the 65 now, except on really steep climbs where the weight just kills me, there’s so much more to see with the 95. huge difference.

wyosteve

WKR
I had a STS 80 and a STS 65. Sold both and now have the STX 95. Best for my all around use.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey guys. Looking at going in on the buy once, cry once. Looking hard at a Swarovski ATX. Does anyone see a major difference (for the price point) of the 65/85/95 spotters? 50/50 on backpacking and glassing from the road. As of now, I spend 90% of my time behind my binos finding game but need something to judge age and scores of deer at a distance.
Welcome to RS.
If you're doing a great deal of packing the slightly smaller size and weight of the 65 may be advantageous. The great thing about this is it's a system rig so you can get multiple objectives with the 1 eyepiece for different applications.
As a long standing supporting vendor here on the forum it is our pleasure to assist in discussing different options and opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have a few moments

Shop around; I saved enough on my STX 95 to get the 65 for free. This does include calling stores (strongly recommend CameraLand and S&S as they’re awesome and site sponsors).

I’d you’re not going to take advantage of Swaro modularity I’d take a hard look at Kowa. You can get the Kowa 88x and 55x for about the cost of the ATX 95. You’ll have a kick ass setup that will likely get used more than just having a ATX 95.

cmahoney

WKR
Shop around; I saved enough on my STX 95 to get the 65 for free. This does include calling stores (strongly recommend CameraLand and S&S as they’re awesome and site sponsors).

I’d you’re not going to take advantage of Swaro modularity I’d take a hard look at Kowa. You can get the Kowa 88x and 55x for about the cost of the ATX 95. You’ll have a kick ass setup that will likely get used more than just having a ATX 95.

Great point. I have the STX, 65 and 115. They are awesome, but specifically the STX with 65 is heavier than a small Kowa. I plan on adding an 85 and sticking with the modular Swaro set up even though there is a weight penalty over the Kowa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great point. I have the STX, 65 and 115. They are awesome, but specifically the STX with 65 is heavier than a small Kowa. I plan on adding an 85 and sticking with the modular Swaro set up even though there is a weight penalty over the Kowa.

My STX 65 is twice the weight of my Kowa 554.

6.5x284

WKR
If you could only have one I would personally get the 85 if running as a ATX/STX. The 85 on lowest mag (25x) has a 3.4mm exit pupil where the 95 on lowest mag (30x) has a 3.1mm exit pupil. I say all that to say I personally do not see any difference in low light between them and would take the 85 every time for the weight savings. Again, the 85 is also at 5x less mag during these lowlight hours, but that difference makes it just as bright or brighter to my eyes.

If a BTX is on the horizon, I felt my 85 wasn't enough and had to run the 95. I'm now back to just a 85ATX though.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this!

Last edited:

Vaultman

WKR
I got the ATX and 65 a few years back. I love that thing, but I have never tried the Kowa that so many folks on here praise. I would look at it if I were in the market again. I did get the 115 to go with my ATX mainly for digiscoping. I am not great with it yet, but did get some cool pictures.

I've had the 65 and the 95. Ended up getting rid of the 65. Loved the weight of the 65 but when I was in the backcountry was always wishing I hadn't left the 95 home. The 95 is better for phoneskoping too.

Trr15

WKR
I’ve got the ATX with 65 and 95 objectives. Usually the 65 goes on backpack hunts, and the 95 is nice for having in the truck, although I do pack it from time to time. Honestly, I could probably get away with just an 85mm objective. If I were to do it over again, I’d go that route and save some cash.

Hornpout

FNG
I agree with a lot of what has been said. I will say one thing about the ATX/STX 65mm if you intend to backpack. They are heavy for a 65mm. It is almost the same exact weight as the ATS 80 HD and the 80 will bring in more light. The primary attractiveness for me is the ability to add a BTX eyepiece later on. It is a specialized tool but in country that you can use it effectively, it has no equal. I do find the modularity argument for the ATX/STX spotters a little thin. With the all in cost of the objective and eyepieces you could just get multiple spotters for the same price or slightly cheaper, such as a Kowa 77 body with the TE-11WZ 2 eyepiece and a Kowa 99 body. If you are not thinking of adding a BTX later on, go with what your eyes like best.

trogers861

Lil-Rokslider
Hey y’all, thanks for the replies. Ended up going with the 85! Excited to get behind it this year!
Did you go with the ATX or STX? I am leaning towards the ATX and am having the same mental debate between the 65/85/95. Thinking I might just go 85 as it isn't that much heavier (11oz) then if I want to add the big dog 115 someday, I can.

OP
D
Hey. I prefer the angled over the straight. I used a straight for a handful of years and after playing with an angle for awhile I prefer it. I ended up with the 85 after I talked to Korbin at Korbins archery for awhile. He really broke it down and in the end for, what I’m doing, thought the 85 would be the best. I’d recommend calling his shop and talking with him about it!

Could buy any spotting scope I wanted and after some exhaustive comparison bought a Meopta Meostar S2 82mm. 1/2 price of the Swarovski and extremely close in performance. Been using it for several years now and am very satisfied. Had the ATX, Kowa 883 and Meopta S2 side-by-side. They were all quite close in performance. Would the ATX or 883 image be a smidge more satisfying to some = maybe. But the S2 can stand with them and is the best value in a hunting spotter that I've seen.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have an atx 65 and 95. Man that’s tough, if I’m backpacking I will run the 65 and typically run the 95 on day hunts. But if I’m on a mule deer hunt, and really trying to judge a buck, I’ll pack the 95 no matter what.