California Hunters? Where you at?

Born, raised, and now live in Modesto, CA. Been a lifelong Sierra backpacker, fisherman, and bird hunter (primarily waterfowl) that's picked up an interest in rifle hunting bigger game in the last few years. Primarily hunt D6 in foothills or Mariposa area. New to the forum and happy to have found it.

Born, raised, and now live in Modesto, CA. Been a lifelong Sierra backpacker, fisherman, and bird hunter (primarily waterfowl) that's picked up an interest in rifle hunting bigger game in the last few years. Primarily hunt D6 in foothills or Mariposa area. New to the forum and happy to have found it.

Welcome also from Modedto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2-Stix

WKR
Out of Ventura. Hunting Southern OR in a few weeks with family. The next few years will be OR, ID and maybe D8/x10 CA.

Last edited:

Jfjfrye

Lil-Rokslider
Chico here. Mostly backpack hunt in the B’s and D3-5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not trying to spot burn. Any info on places to pack in in d3-5 that aren’t hounded by dirt bikes and trail runners. All the spots I’ve spent more than a day in have turned up a ton of human traffic and very little deer activity......

Not trying to spot burn. Any info on places to pack in in d3-5 that aren’t hounded by dirt bikes and trail runners. All the spots I’ve spent more than a day in have turned up a ton of human traffic and very little deer activity...…
Some of the best deer sign I've found is right off blacktop (D3-5).

brn2hnt

WKR
Not trying to spot burn. Any info on places to pack in in d3-5 that aren’t hounded by dirt bikes and trail runners. All the spots I’ve spent more than a day in have turned up a ton of human traffic and very little deer activity......

Wilderness areas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doodle

FNG
Hey fellas,

Reviving this thread.
I’m in Santa Rosa, having recently moved from Chico. Haven’t done too much hunting around here but will likely be focusing on northern A zone and anything B zone within 3-4 hours drive.

TheGDog

WKR
Orange County Handgun Hunter. Generally hunt B Zone for Blacktails, and try to pick up a D-14 tag. Hunting Louisiana this year.
Hey man, North OC here. RE: Handgun hunting, what setup are you using? And why do you like it? (I guess PM me your answer about that so not thread-jacking) Been considering going that route to possibly save some weight for the hike-in in certain areas. Btw doing D14 this year, already liking it WAY more than (North) D15.

Newer hunter here. I live in the Bay Area. Hunted B zone last year dodging the fires and tried to find some pigs over the winter/spring, both unsuccessfully. Was lucky enough to draw G1 this year and trying to put in the time to have a productive hunt when the time comes. Will probably hunt B zone with a friend as well.

SBego

FNG
Classified Approved
FNG to this site...Hunt D3-5 for everything for a long time both private and public.

idig4au

WKR
That's the place, near Scott River Road ends. Beautiful country but then, you're almost in Oregon so...

View attachment 199911

Most of California sucks by comparison whereas up there, deer commit suicide on the road, leaping in front of you before you can part at a trailhead. LOL

The further south you go, the worse it gets. Good luck getting away from hikers, bikers, geocashers, tweekers and other bipeds. In units like D11 & 13 any legal buck is a trophy. I have little interest in small bucks like this one that my partner killed there.

View attachment 199904

I think it behooves us all to refrain from posting insolent comments and accusations (like calling fellow roksliders you don't know "posers") on this site...it just drags everything down a notch. The simple truth is much of Calif is poorly managed which is why we have so many wildfires, lions and sealions. Bad enforcement, stupid moratoriums with no sunset clauses...ever increasing restrictions on hunters, other states do a much better job. But we can agree to disagree on that sentiment.

I would have to agree with you 110% regarding California Fish and Game management practices. It’s an utter disaster these days. Deer numbers are way down and predators numbers are way up. Prime example of what happens when an administration manages dollars rather than wildlife.

Scott River is beautiful country BTW. My old stomping grounds.....

Wags

WKR
Lodi area, rarely hunt CA anymore though now that my boy is old enough to shoot I'll get back into the forests. I hunt WY & CO primarily now. Hell, I haven't even seen a legal buck in CA in 10 years. Glad to see some of you are still getting them in the D Zones.