Cedar Fence Stain/Sealer?

hunterjmj

WKR
What are people using that works well and doesn't need re-applied every year?
I'd rather pay a little money for something that looks and works good.

I've had pretty good luck with TWP semi transparent here in the rainy PNW. Buy online for around $33/gal free freight.
TWP is made close to where I live. 10-12 yrs ago I had a sealing/staining business and used it exclusively on decks/fences/cedar siding to the tune of 1K gallons/yr... 2 coats, “wet on wet”. Great product!

Yeah, I don't expect anything to last forever but some of the neighbors fences look like crap after 1 year.

Not exactly right on topic but a question related to this thread--on a pressure treated pine deck, which would last longest (need less frequent re-treating), a stain product or a deck paint product?

My father in law is retired from sherwin Williams and knows a little about paints and stains. He has always used on his wood exterior house and pool deck Wolman F&P Wood Finish and Preservative. I used it on my 24x24 deck at my old house and I now live in a log home and use it on the exterior. It’s been 4 years since I re stained my house and it’s still looking good. My neighbor was impressed and he stained his house with it as well last year.

Attachments

• BC86CEAD-B8B4-4EA4-B33C-5F0797A7662F.jpeg
    BC86CEAD-B8B4-4EA4-B33C-5F0797A7662F.jpeg
    362.9 KB · Views: 22
You will get what you pay for when it comes to paint/stains/sealers. For exterior stains I personally like Sikkens. Make sure you get one with high solids. The fewer the solids, the more frequently you will need to reapply (my fiance used to have a painting business, so I trust what she says).

Not exactly right on topic but a question related to this thread--on a pressure treated pine deck, which would last longest (need less frequent re-treating), a stain product or a deck paint product?

Stain. I've never heard of a deck paint that lasted very long at all. My brother tried that Behr deck paint stuff and it lasted less than a year. Ended up getting his money back on that junk. Also make sure you wait 6-12 months on new decking before staining.

Back