Charleston, SC—things to do & see?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Going to be visiting my brother for a week (nephew is getting married) in Charleston. He's lived there for a while but always open to more ideas- will be there close to a week.

Thanks!
Mike

bowhuntercoop

Lil-Rokslider
The musems are awesome, south of broad is fun to to walk around. I alway run in the mornings along the battery and do a big loop. Will be fun since you like to work out.

Insane amount of food and bars if you’re into that. Plenty of history in the city and things to do. Cool thing about Charleston is within 20-30 mins you can be in some of the best pig hunting and swamps in the south, yet be back in time for a date night with the wife in the city.

Ferry to fort Sumter.
Beach at isle of palms
Downtown nightlife
Plenty of tours downtown.
Food and Boardwalk at Shem Creek. We ate there a lot.
Angel oak south of town-look it up. Seriously. It’s more than just a big old tree. It’s an awe inducing experience.

We love Charleston

Wife and I took a horse/wagon tour and we both found it to be very interesting. I suppose it would probably be dependent on which driver you got, there were several, but it was pretty neat way to spend a couple hours.

maxx075

FNG
I always enjoyed just going to the battery and market street. The aquarium is fun.

Definitely would recommend going to Fort Sumter if you like historical things.

SCHUNTER73

Lil-Rokslider
Ghost tours are fun.
If you want to learn some history, visit the plantations up hwy 61 from downtown.
Sunrise at Sullivan‘s Island.
More good food and drink than you can enjoy in one week.

I live here, happy to share some details if you want to PM me.

tdhanses

WKR
One of my favorite places to walk, go checkout Boone plantation, not in Charleston but not a far drive, pretty cool history. If you want to walk the beach go to Isle of Palms.

Like everyone said there is a ton to do that you won’t have time for all, you won’t be bored and being from MT a 20-30 min drive is nothing.

Last edited:

Oilfieldmiller

Lil-Rokslider
Took a trip there in 90’s with the Boy Scouts. Visited Ft Sumter and Patriots Point. Both were awesome. Patriots Point had an aircraft carrier, destroyer, sub, and a Coast Guard cutter all at the same place. Awesome museums. We actually slept on the carrier. Would recommend those to anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We ate at a restaurant last year there on the water but can’t remember the name. Was a pretty cool place. Two stories and the charter boats parked right there behind it. You could watch them clean the fish. It was pretty cool and fun

gtriple

WKR
Beautiful place. That is my neck of the woods. Shopping in the market is a must. Get a crepe at Queen Street Grocery. If oysters are in season when you are there, the 167 Raw Oyster Bar has a wide selection. Church and Union has great brunch. Walk the Battery.

If you want a fancy meal, Tempest, 82 Queen, and Fig are my favorites.

If you've got a day and want to get a different, more chill vibe, Folly Beach is great. The Lost Dog Cafe there is by far the best breakfast food. The blueberry muffins are excellent. As well as the biscuits and gravy (add Sriracha), the breakfast burrito (big enough for 2), and the juevos rancheros. Bert's Grocery is the local lunch spot and a great place to pick up beers. If you are going to drink on the beach, just don't do it near the pier and don't make it obvious. It's technically illegal to drink on all beaches in the county, but unless you are being a problem, they don't check.

Feel free to PM if you have any specific questions. It's one of the coolest cities in the country by far.

gtriple

WKR
We ate at a restaurant last year there on the water but can’t remember the name. Was a pretty cool place. Two stories and the charter boats parked right there behind it. You could watch them clean the fish. It was pretty cool and fun
Fleet landing? Best she-crab soup in Chucktown.

Downtown is fun night and day.
isle of palms
sulivans island
folly beach

shem creek crab house.
Bowen’s island restaurant in folly beach
167 raw
oyster bar
verns
kings bbq
chop house

Museum is worth it
the civil war forts are cool
that plantation someone mentioned above is cool. More of a cultural exhibit than authentic history.
McLeod plantation

The Hunley! I had read about her, but seeing her after they brought her up from Charleston Harbor was amazing.

Some history. Clive Cussler, iirc, had a hand in discovering where she was.

Ft. Sumter was great, Battery Park was cool, and the downtown area in general was enjoyable.

Still wish I could find fresh gardenias for the wife like were available down there.

But the H.L. Hunley was a fantastic visit.

Rodney Scott's whole hog BBQ for sure. Pages okra grill is good too
The fishing in and around Charleston can be very, very good.