Charleston, SC—things to do & see?

FLS

WKR
Lots of good stuff listed so far. If you’re willing to drive a couple of hours south visit Savannah and The Mighty Eight Air Force museum in Pooler GA.

Cape Romain NWR is north of Charleston and the headquarters has a maritime forest display that’s pretty cool.

Food:
Lewis BBQ, be there early because the line forms early and will go around the block. Nothing else is even close. IMO, Scotts is a tourist trap, but the original Scotts is in Hemingway SC about an hour away and is pretty good.
Pages is really good.
Halls for steaks.
If you like sushi, Locals in Mount Pleasant.
Seafood, most is geared towards tourist. Avoid anything with “buffet” in the name. Hymans Seafood downtown is good.
If you want real fresh local seafood drive north to McClellanville, that’s where it all comes from anyway.

Last edited:
Lots of historical stuff to see related to the War of Northern Aggression.
I'd recommend the Hunley & Ft Sumter as mentioned above but also visit the Confederate cemetery & the Daughters of the Confederacy museum on Market Street.

Try some shrimp & grits while you're there if you've never had it.

Take a drive to the Ocean Course at Kiawah Island & have dinner at the club house. You can go by the Angel tree on the way

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wow! You guys rock— thanks a bunch!

Rodney Scott's whole hog BBQ for sure. Pages okra grill is good too
The fishing in and around Charleston can be very, very good.

My brother thought maybe a charter, he's never been—anyone recommend one by chance?

1jeds

FNG
I'd recommend Husk for a nice dinner. Fancy southern if you will....fried shrimp and the usuals are a dime a dozen (and definitely have their place). Also recommend Darling Oyster Bar and Poogan's Porch. And of course just walk around and see all the historical sights.

gtriple

WKR
I'd recommend Husk for a nice dinner. Fancy southern if you will....fried shrimp and the usuals are a dime a dozen (and definitely have their place). Also recommend Darling Oyster Bar and Poogan's Porch. And of course just walk around and see all the historical sights.
Poogans is a staple. Can be hard to get a table though.

FLS

WKR

My brother thought maybe a charter, he's never been—anyone recommend one by chance?
Go inshore. Lots of good guides. It’s a long run to the Gulf Stream from anywhere on the SC coast, and you’ll spend most of your day traveling. You can get into mahi or kings going in and out, but our offshore isn’t worth what you’ll have to pay IMO.

Oregon

WKR
I lived down on the Battery for 4 years. Tradd street. My jogging route was all the back roads and alleys on the battery. Jogging through an alley and you come across a graveyard with 10 headstones. Dated back to the 1700's. Get off the main roads and just walk and explore. Pretty awesome homes and history. If "significant other" going, do a carriage ride. Do not do this if weather forecast is hot. It can get smelly downtown with humidity and horse piss.
Fishing. Do it. Truly is some of the best inshore fishing in the US. Year round.
Don't do: Don't go to North Charleston no matter time of day.
Some of the best scenery in the country is down on King street on a Friday night.

Bluumoon

WKR
Folly Beach was home for years… I can’t adult in that town, but will be back in June for a week.

Bowen’s Island
Wreck of the Richard and Charlene
Surf Bar if you are staying on Folly for drinks.
Lewis BBQ is legit
Far East end of Folly Beach
Depends on which part of town you are staying in really.
Avoid driving cross town during am/pm rush hour.
Hard to find bad food in CHS

lhbackcountry

Lil-Rokslider
I've had a bad run in with him on the beach, but The Longest Cast definitely gets into nice fish just surf fishing.
I was about to say you can buy a license, go to couple different piers around town and have decent luck with live bait. I used to work near Haddrells, top notch fishing shop and cool guys with plenty of advice for free!

Dougsch28

FNG
Look for sheds. Not Charleston, but was visiting the in-laws in Murrells Inlet not too far away last week and managed to find what I assume is a hammer for those parts. If anyone is near MI and wants to match it up, let me know and Ill send a pin shed.jpg

Burnsie

Lil-Rokslider
Page's Okra Grill - for their Shrimp & Grits
Angle Tree is cool - its in the middle of nowhere. Drive down a gravel lane and all of a sudden there it is.

willtim

WKR
Ft Moultrie is on Sullivan's Island. Very short drive and it's free. Incredible views. It's where the Citadel cadets bombarded Ft Sumter to start the War of Northern Aggression. Tour the Hunley. First submarine to sink an enemy ship.

I was there a few months ago. Went to a really good, small fresh seafood place called CudaCo. Highly recommend it.

I also wanted to get a glimpse of Fort Sumter (I was a few hundred pages into Gods & Generals at the time), but we didn't have time for the full tour. I found "Fort Johnson" on Google maps, so we drove there on a Sunday morning. Once there, it was not quite what I thought it was. It looked like a gated DNR campus where they stored boats and such, but there were walking paths and quite a few people out and about, so we went in anyways. Could get a pretty good view of Sumter. There is also a monument there stating that the location is near where the mortars were that first fired on Sumter.

Last edited:

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider

Papa Bear Charters, out of Hilton Head. Captain Michael Perry. Buddy of mine and he catches em

Only other thing that hasn't been said. You can eat low country shrimp and grits for every meal and never get tired of it, at least I can't. You'll never eat any, anywhere in the country, that comes close.

I'll throw in Lewis's once again for a good BBQ spot. I would pick it over Rodney Scott's
Too many good food and drink spots to shake a stick at, used to be down there all of the time when my now wife lived there while we were in school. Lots of good times.

Little Jack's Tavern on North King has great burgers and beers.
Been a while since I've enjoyed the dining/night life down there.