Cheapskate Friend problems

Virginian

Lil-Rokslider
So I just got back from a 4 day camping/canoeing trip with a buddy. After we got back I got to thinking about it; he never pays for anything when we do stuff like this. I supply all the gear even down to his sleeping bag, drive my vehicle, supply the gas, plan everything, and buy more than half the food. We stopped at the grocery store on the way and he was complaining about how much the food was and I ended up buying half of it (I'd already bought bacon, steaks, and a few other things)

The icing for me was once we got home he helped me unload the stuff and took off. I spent hours cleaning everything, drying the stuff from it raining and snowing most of the time, and putting it away.

Don't get me wrong he's appreciative but dam it'd be cheaper to have a girlfriend. I know it only happens because I allow it but you'd figure he'd feel bad about it at some point.

Anyone else have a friend like that? How do y'all deal with cheap friends? Just leave him at home I guess haha

Last edited:

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
I have had the same issue. I brought it up to him how I payed for basically everything we did. After that he started to pay more when we would go and we started hunting together less. Kinda sucks, but it is what it is. How much do you value his company? In the end that's what it came down to for me.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
My little brother has a habit of acting like that some times. At the start of the waterfowl season this year we sat in front of our early morning breakfast taco shop. i just sat in the drivers seat. His response, you coming in, i said nah you buy ill take 3 bacon egg and cheese and an orange juice. He did. After we were done shooting our limits of gadwall and widgeon I tossed him the birds and said I'm done cleaning this year. It was the first day of the season. He cleaned all the birds and bagged them up in record pace. After that he decided he wanted to split the duties this year and honestly it has been easier for me to hunt with him since I dont have to do everything. I would have done it anyways and paid anyways because I would rather have his company. I just didnt tell him that.

Just remember good hunting partners are hard to come across. Like wives or girlfriends they all have their little issues you decide if you can live with or not.

Last edited:
Have a conversation about it, get over it, or stop taking him. Don’t expect him to have the same understanding as you do about finances and logistics of the trips. A person could easily assume that because you’re inviting him that you’re ok paying for things in order for him to go.

I’ve had friends offer me gas money when we go scouting or drive for hunts. I appreciate the offer but if I was already going anyway and - they’re going with me now - I typically don’t accept it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnum61

Lil-Rokslider
Time for a new friend.

There are tough situations sometimes and It comes down to character. I’ve been in situations where I couldn’t pay and I was invited anyways but I made the decision that my friends aren’t “banks” for my convenience. So my moral standard is if a friend has to cover me he gets 1.5x back - always. It makes me stay on top of the costs and if I mess up, I run the numbers on exactly what I owe and then find something he really needs for the extra.

It’s just respect, some people have it, some people just purely don’t know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broomd

WKR
I'll never forget taking two fellas-both about 40y/o--on a caribou/moose hunt up in Alaska. The 3-4 day trip required atv'ing in for about ten miles, so we (er, ..I) filled up my old class C camper and all the wheelers--including theirs (both bone dry) for the hunt. Gas was $5 a gallon.
After we returned home, they paid me absolutely nothing, not a single dime for any of my and or their expenses, and these guys had kids that were my middle school students, they knew I made a paltry salary. These guys both made great money. I was shocked and disgusted. Never spent another second with either.

CCH

WKR
Definitely need better friends. The various ones I hunt with don't necessarily keep track of every dime, but everyone chips in on food, and if gas is involved, it's generally an every other tank sort of thing. I've had some trips where I may have paid a bit more and I've had some where it went the other way a bit. It all comes out in the long run if you're trying to keep it close. I don't think that's gonna work with your pal. If he doesn't realize it, I wouldn't waste a conversation.

*zap*

WKR
Some people know how to show thanks and other's know only how to say thanks.

I try to only associate with the first group for personal activities but I find myself alone a lot.

No company may be better than bad/unappreciative company. I also think that many people mistake kindness for weakness so they will take advantage as much as possible....

Trial153

WKR
I dont associate a second time with someone like that. If anything my friends are overly generous and I think they would say the same about me .....that includes Elkguide. But I wouldnt admit it to him.

Last edited:
I have one friend that leans a little that way, but not bad, and at the same time he is generous and thoughtful. He may mooch a little food or let you cover all the gas on a trip but will bring you gifts out of the blue three months later because he went somewhere and saw something that he thought you'd like, so he buys it for you.

Ninety five percent of the time my hunting/traveling buddies and I get into arguments about who pays because we are all trying to pick up the tab, and none of us are wealthy by any stretch.

We figure it all works out in the small circle I associate with.

In the past, I've known guys who just expected to show up with their gun at go time.

If I'm ever just showing up to someone else's party, I try to contribute.

It's probably best to just talk to the guy. If he's a good friend, he'll understand.

Ninety five percent of the time my hunting/traveling buddies and I get into arguments about who pays because we are all trying to pick up the tab, and none of us are wealthy by any stretch.

Get up and go to the bathroom. Then slip the waitress your card. End of debate. Tell your buddies to get the tip.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
We figure it all works out in the small circle I associate with.

In the past, I've known guys who just expected to show up with their gun at go time.

If I'm ever just showing up to someone else's party, I try to contribute.

It's probably best to just talk to the guy. If he's a good friend, he'll understand.
ya, I agree. Give him a chance. If he's a good guy to have as a friend, he'll appreciate it. If not, you've done your part and he won't mooch anymore or won't come around. But to say nothing isn't really fair either.