Checked Bags for Alaskan Hunt

I am heading to Alaska in September for a DIY moose hunt. It will be from a boat - just wondering what you all recommend using for checked luggage? It would be nice if it was water resistant…A large water proof duffle? Some sort of bin? I see dewalt makes some that look pretty tough and have wheels. Just wondering what everybody else is using. I am taking my rifle and whatever else I can stuff in there in a Boyt Gun case. I’ll have my backpack as a carryon.

OP
PredatorSlayer
Large duffel. Waterproof one if you can swing it. Totes or rigid luggage is too heavy, too bulky, too much of a hassle and just pointless IMO.
I was thinking it might be able to double as a chair at camp in the evenings lol. With rain and boat, I am thinking water proof/resistance is going to be important. I am not opposed to a big water proof duffle though.

KUIU TAKU bags are pretty handy for travel, and they fit well in small aircraft if your plans include the use of one once in Alaska.

Whatever is easiest for you to deal with in the airport and pack a few 20-40L dry bags is what I would do. Split gear into dry bags on arrival and leave the giant duffle or luggage in the pickup. Everything is more organized and easier to pack and move on the trip. I like the NRS 65L dry backpack for a carry on.

Another option is a large rolling duffel bag with a waterproof bag inside. I hate carrying a shoulder strap duffel bag through the airport.

-I check my rifle case with kill kit.
-I check an LL Bean Large Rolling Duffel with my Exo 5500 inside as well as a soft rifle case and other things that need to be in a checked bag.
-I carry-on a Stone Glacier STOL 4000 holding my optics, electronics, and a change of clothes.

ETA: the large rolling duffel stays at bush plane airport/hotel. At that point it's just soft rifle case and Exo 5500. Possibly the STOL bag depending on the hunt (cabin/basecamp/backpack/tent, etc. )

Last edited:

def90

WKR
Dry bag duffle.. you can get them from rafting supply companies, NRS being one the larger ones.

I wouldn't take a wheeled anything (luggage wise) in the wilderness. I've had clients show up with that kinda crap. What a pain in the ass. And I wouldn't take a plastic bin, either. Duffels with carry straps are your best bet, when out in the wilderness.

I wouldn't take a wheeled anything (luggage wise) in the wilderness. I've had clients show up with that kinda crap. What a pain in the ass. And I wouldn't take a plastic bin, either. Duffels with carry straps are your best bet, when out in the wilderness.
Agreed. My post about the wheeled duffel was just to get to the dock, duffel stays at the dock.

OMB

WKR
KUIU TAKU bags are pretty handy for travel, and they fit well in small aircraft if your plans include the use of one once in Alaska.
I like the Taku bags and was planning on using them for an upcoming hunt in the NWT. Ended up grabbing the Waypoint 10400 duffel so I can fit my pack with most of my gear, and hopefully cape/horns on the return trip. Feels really well built and should do everything I need it to do. Going to be using a Take 3000 for boots/rain gear/binos as a carry on.

SSawyer

FNG
Waterproof duffel will hold my pack and gear. I always take the optics/electronics on the plane with me. Don't forget to take a number of ziplock bags of different sizes. Put your wet/dirty clothes in them to protect the rest of your gear. You will also want some for protection of electronics, TP, etc in your day pack. I have never been on a rain-free moose hunt!