Chronograph. Go cheap or invest heavy?

rent guns and gear has the Labradar for rent for $45 for two days. Might be best for your use case.
I didn't link it because I don't know if they are a sponsor or not. I'm not affiliated with them, just heard about them on a podcast.

Juan_ID

WKR
I do a fair bit of load development and have used a magneto sporter for everything. I typically do a “ladder” test to check groups then check speeds of the ones that grouped the best. 90% of the time every time the best groups are well into acceptable es/sd’s but 🤷‍♂️

Weldor

WKR
Good advice here, but I just can't digest $650 for a chrono. I have be been shooting through my Pro chrono for way over a decade, I know it is a pain to set up at a crowded range but once it's up no issues. I develope loads all year , I have a nice quiet range about 20 miles away that is perfect. I have a private club 2 miles away and never shoot there because it's a pain to set up. Whatever happened to the Caldwell version of the labradar? Last I seen was 2020 waiting on chips to manufacture? I think it was suppose to retail for under $300 bucks. I'd be all in for that.

Last edited:

Firestone

WKR
I've used the old Caldwell, the magneto and the Labradar. The Labradar is my personal favorite by far. If you can wait a month or so garmins new chronograph will be out and it looks pretty sweet. But it's gonna cost about around 600 as well.

Last edited:
I’m ready for the new garmin. I’m super tired of strapping my magneto on and want something I can get all my data during zero and practice and increase my sample sizes

Weldor

WKR
Garmin Xero C1 looks like the cost is $1000 plus. That's abit much for me. Cabelas has a pre add $999.99 Crazy!

Venatic

FNG
I am hearing Garmin will be around 600.00
I have used one and it’s pretty awesome.

Weldor

WKR
There's the price. $1054 and change. was hoping it would be resonable.I

Attachments

• garmin.jpg
    garmin.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 43

Bluefish

WKR
If it’s 600 it will own the market if they can make enough, 1k and it will probably do well. At 1k used LabRadar should hold some value as it will be a cheaper alternative and LR does work, just a bit clunky.

N2TRKYS

WKR
The Caldwell is awesome. I’ve been using mine for at least 5 years now. It’s super easy to setup and puts/keeps my load data, es/sd, and velocity into the app on my phone. You can even take pics of your group in the app to include in that data.

If mine quit tomorrow, I’d buy another Caldwell.

Ive pretty much determined I have no use for a chrono shooting factory ammo. I have a Caldwell G2 I used a few times. It worked well enough but I dont need it anymore since I stopped reloading.

NSI

WKR
My $200 mag sporter has never let me down. It's compatible with the Wiser mount if you want to shoot groups and not worry about POI shift.

-J

NSI

WKR
Ive pretty much determined I have no use for a chrono shooting factory ammo. I have a Caldwell G2 I used a few times. It worked well enough but I dont need it anymore since I stopped reloading.
I would not know that my box Norma 6.5cm golden target had a 60 ES without my chrono.

It's also very nice to simply true a ballistic solver by BC instead of guessing at muzzle velocity.

-J

Magnetospeed sporter does what I need it to do, but I don't agonize over statistical significance. Just a place to start for dope, troubleshooting, etc.
YMMV.

Reactions: NSI

Crews

FNG
MagnetoSpeed is the bare minimum. It will shift poi, but it won't change precision of given rifle or load. It's nice if you're trying to assess loads. If you just need a MV to determine your dope you almost don't even need a chrono at all these days. I can't even remember the last time I drug mine out to work out drops for my hunting rifles. I just adjust MV in the calculator based on actual field DOPE.

Last edited:

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
Problem with chronographs is it will show you how bad your favorite ammo is consistency wise. That being said I couldn't go back to NOT owning a chronograph. Even if it isn't the most used piece of gear.

I started with a Magneetospeed V3. I love it no complaints. I wanted a Labradar but they were hard to find and priced higher that pterodactyl titties. I'm happy the Magneeto is so easy to use on a public range. I can set up and have my data and be gone in no time.

Used it for a few years then got the itch to chronograph handgun. The Magneeto didn't work on some of the handguns I wanted so I got a sky screen chronograph. Competition Electronics DLX. They go on sale frequently on Midway and so far it has been great for handgun, bow, sling shot, nerf gun, random Flys buzzing around the range, and blow gun. There is a learning curve to it and ambient lighting conditions.