CO fires

Johnboy

WKR
I'm struggling to figure out the status of the area I'm planning to hunt in September - Unit 24 (EE012O1A). Can somebody point me to where this information is stated clearly for an idiot like me? I'm very concerned that my hunt is on the brink.

Johnboy

WKR
As of right now my plan A and B are closed to access. Maybe doing the otc exchange myself.

Do you know specifically when the deadline is for this?

According to this link: https://cpw.state.co.us/refunds#refund

"To be eligible for a refund or restoration of preference points, a license must be turned into a CPW location or postmarked at least 30 days prior to the start of the season (14 days for turkey licenses) for which the license is valid."

Since the season opens on 9/2, unless I'm missing something in the details, the window has already passed for refund and point restoration, yes?

Then it looks like the following is the only option:

Exchanges
  • ALL license exchanges will be charged 50% of the cost of the original license, not to exceed $25.
  • There are no refunds or preference point restorations available on exchanged licenses.
  • Exchanges can be completed at a CPW office or park up until the day before the season starts on the original license. Once a season starts, an exchange is no longer available.

I'm struggling to figure out the status of the area I'm planning to hunt in September - Unit 24 (EE012O1A). Can somebody point me to where this information is stated clearly for an idiot like me? I'm very concerned that my hunt is on the brink.
inciweb.nwcg.gov is the best source for information on the status of the fire and related NF/BLM/road closures, but I haven't seen any mention on inciweb about hunting seasons/units. I assume any hunting-related changes prompted by fire activity would be published on CPW's website.

The Grizzly Creek fire shouldn't affect your hunting plans (except for maybe forcing a detour if you were planning to take I-70 through Glenwood Springs). As of yesterday, the fire was around 10-12 miles from the southern edge of unit 24. The southern boundary of your tag runs through the middle of unit 24, so you have 20+ miles of buffer between the edge of your hunting area and the fire.

I have an archery tag for units 23, 24, & 33 south of the north fork of the White River. Probably going to hang on a bit longer and hope it gets contained but also starting to consider exchanging for an otc tag since I think that is an option before opening day.
I have that same tag and have been closely following the Grizzly Creek fire. Although the National Forest closure covers a small portion of units 24 and 33, the fire itself is still 10+ miles away from the boundaries of those units. Progression of the fire has been mostly eastward (away from 24/33) with some growth north and south. Crews are working to build a containment line along Coffee Pot Road to stop northward progress, although the northern edge of the fire is lower priority than the other fronts. Hopefully the combination of firefighting efforts, flatter terrain, and sparser vegetation will keep the fire from growing much further north.

blutooth

Lil-Rokslider
I know you guys are talking elk, but I have a second choice Archery mule deer tag for 34 only. What would you guys do in this situation?

Turn it in for a OTC archery elk tag and go somewhere else?
Wait out the fire and hope we can get in there late in the season - is there any chance that unit will be huntable? Right now it seems like the fire isn't affecting much of the unit except access but winds change and anything can happen in 2-3 weeks...

wgrkman

FNG
I know you guys are talking elk, but I have a second choice Archery mule deer tag for 34 only. What would you guys do in this situation?

Turn it in for a OTC archery elk tag and go somewhere else?
Wait out the fire and hope we can get in there late in the season - is there any chance that unit will be huntable? Right now it seems like the fire isn't affecting much of the unit except access but winds change and anything can happen in 2-3 weeks...

If I had a tag for only unit 34 for archery season, I probably would have already turned the tag back in. Only my opinion though. I don't see that unit being very huntable at all this September.

OP
M
If I had a tag for only unit 34 for archery season, I probably would have already turned the tag back in. Only my opinion though. I don't see that unit being very huntable at all this September.
I just read an article saying it could be weeks before they have any handle on the fires because the weather doesnā€™t seem to be doing them any favors for the foreseeable future.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Hereā€™s another thing to think about. The smoke in the mountains is THICK! Coming from sea level or close and already struggling in the mountains with altitude sickness and lack of oxygen is only going to get worse with the smoke. I spend all summer in the mountains hiking and I was struggling last weekend with the smoke. It definitely affected me.

Do you know specifically when the deadline is for this?

According to this link: https://cpw.state.co.us/refunds#refund

"To be eligible for a refund or restoration of preference points, a license must be turned into a CPW location or postmarked at least 30 days prior to the start of the season (14 days for turkey licenses) for which the license is valid."

Since the season opens on 9/2, unless I'm missing something in the details, the window has already passed for refund and point restoration, yes?

Then it looks like the following is the only option:

Exchanges
  • ALL license exchanges will be charged 50% of the cost of the original license, not to exceed $25.
  • There are no refunds or preference point restorations available on exchanged licenses.
  • Exchanges can be completed at a CPW office or park up until the day before the season starts on the original license. Once a season starts, an exchange is no longer available.

blutooth

Lil-Rokslider
Hereā€™s another thing to think about. The smoke in the mountains is THICK! Coming from sea level or close and already struggling in the mountains with altitude sickness and lack of oxygen is only going to get worse with the smoke. I spend all summer in the mountains hiking and I was struggling last weekend with the smoke. It definitely affected me.

Iā€™m used to wearing a mask lately anyway. Lol. thanks guys. Looking at all our options now...

I believe during High Park and Sarvis they changed the rules as to when you could return your tag. But I do think it was cash or points and not both. Trying to find the old posts but not having much luck. When CPW updates the website last time a lot of the older archived pages went away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CMF

WKR
This is one of my concerns since we'll be in the units to the east of the fire. How far away from the fire will the smoke have an affect? Any online maps or resources for seeing the smoke affected areas?

Ucsdryder

WKR
This is one of my concerns since we'll be in the units to the east of the fire. How far away from the fire will the smoke have an affect? Any online maps or resources for seeing the smoke affected areas?

Depends on the wind. Right now there are fires everywhere so youā€™re going to be in smoke. Denver is pretty good today but there was ash on cars this weekend. You canā€™t see the front range mountains. In ouray the smoke was bad this weekend and the closest fire is way north. If youā€™re hunting north of 70 you might as well have your head in a camp fire. South of 70 will depend on wind.

conley417

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on the wind. Right now there are fires everywhere so youā€™re going to be in smoke. Denver is pretty good today but there was ash on cars this weekend. You canā€™t see the front range mountains. In ouray the smoke was bad this weekend and the closest fire is way north. If youā€™re hunting north of 70 you might as well have your head in a camp fire. South of 70 will depend on wind.

Good cover scent

brsnow

WKR
My kids left the back door open this weekend and it set off my smoke detectors in the house within minutes, we are in Denver metro area.

TexasCub

WKR
This smoke is nothing compared to bad fire seasons in Alaska, I remember driving from Valdez to Proudhoe bay and never getting out of the smoke. Couldnā€™t even see the mountains during sheep season. Get out there and hunt, just donā€™t do it nearby to a flank of the fire!...grin

Last edited:

This shows smoke status in decent real time https://fire.airnow.gov/
As others have said, it's basically all of CO is smoky, less so the more south you go.

Reactions: CMF

Dakota Dude

Lil-Rokslider
This smoke is nothing compared to bad fire seasons in Alaska, I remember driving from Valdez to Proudhoe bay and never getting out of the smoke. Couldnā€™t even see the mountains during sheep season. Get out there and hunt, just donā€™t do it nearby to a flank of the fire!...grin

That's how it's been up here for the last week. So thick its hard to breathe and you constantly cough and have watering eyes after being outside. Last Sunday my chest was on fire (pun intended) after getting my truck and atv ready to go pull some cameras. I decided to call it and just stay inside.

It seems to be getting a little better where I live, at least it comes in phases instead of constantly bearing down.