CO unit 54.

Jakerex

WKR
So, I’m heading west for the first time on an elk hunt. October 24th is the start of the season I believe.

I may or may not be able to do the entire trip due to home life and work, so I’m trying to figure out some options for arriving later or leaving earlier than the rest of the crew.

What are my chances of parking a rental car and thumbing up forest service roads day or two before the season starts? Thumbing back down towards the end of the season

ATV permitted on forest service roads?

Last edited:

Phaseolus

WKR
The question you should ask is how far down the road will you make it if it dumps two feet of snow in one night? The road wasn’t that bad two weeks ago but you won’t get a trailer or other long device up it. Once it rains or snows That will change a lot.

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
The question you should ask is how far down the road will you make it if it dumps two feet of snow in one night? The road wasn’t that bad two weeks ago but you won’t get a trailer or other long device up it. Once it rains or snows That will change a lot.

That’s what I’m saying. If I get there after they are already up the road and to camp, and the weather and road is chitty, I don’t want to ask someone to come pick me up. Or take me out early. Looking for alternatives. I understand that road some years is a dusty drive and other years it can get pretty hairy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdmaxwell

WKR
You can answer your distance question on a computer mapping program with measure tool.

Do they generally have good success in that area? My group is looking for a new spot we might have to check that out.

One could only imagine...
If a group drives all the way from PA, to the end of Soap Creek road in unit 54 Colorado, and they have made this trip many times...one could only imagine there are a lot of elk at the end of Soap Creek road in gmu 54 of Colorado.

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
One could only imagine...
If a group drives all the way from PA, to the end of Soap Creek road in unit 54 Colorado, and they have made this trip many times...one could only imagine there are a lot of elk at the end of Soap Creek road in gmu 54 of Colorado.

I heard that there is an elk behind every tree.

The group hasn’t been there in a few years. Think it’s more of a family tradition type of spot

Last edited:

crich

WKR
Wonder how many guys have pulled this spot up on google earth by now 🙄. The reality is that there might be elk there and there might be no elk. Anyone on this forum can pull up a map and look at a hundred roads that meet a trail head and lead into a wilderness area. 99% might even overlook this exact spot on a map, until someone makes a post about planning to hunt it. Now the psychological tactic of "scarcity" kicks in. My nephew never wants to ride his scooter until the neighbor kid wants to ride it. The kicker is the comment about hunting a an area repeatedly which would make you think someone is consistently successful. Although people kill elk repeatedly in every unit, your buds might want their starting off point broadcasted across the interwebs. Even if it is just a starting point. Hope you figure out the logistics and have a good hunt this year!

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
I dont think Soap Creek is any secret spot. Its the main access on that end of the road

I think a lot of people missed the point of my post, but that’s cool. Just didn’t want to put anyone out trying to pick me up or drive me out. Was looking for other options. No worries. I’ll find my info elsewhere.

Last edited:

Clarence

WKR
I think the point you are missing, is that your question could have been asked without being so specific. If you want to raise hackels on this forum, post unit specific details publicly. Guys are usually cool with with general info, and details being handled via p.m. Fellow Pa guy here. It takes alot coming from the east, and getting a area dialed in. There is nothing special about your friends "area" other than the fact that they know it. Take what they are willing to share with you and be respectful with that information. They are your most valuable resource. They are trusting you with alot.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

fwafwow

WKR
Could be a red flag/diversion post. Or a retribution post against some folks the OP doesn't like. :sneaky:

Sorry to the OP, I couldn't resist. If it helps, I made a mistake with my very first post on a forum related to black rifles. I asked (in a general forum) about whether it was possible to electrify the exterior of your car to serve as a defensive option in light of the recent protests and getting blocked in your car. I was ROASTED by the members who accused me of being a "libtard", a reporter trolling them and even of being an ATF agent. On this forum, posting or asking for location information will get you flamed pretty quickly.

Don't give up and good luck with your travel, and hunt.

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
I think the point you are missing, is that your question could have been asked without being so specific. If you want to raise hackels on this forum, post unit specific details publicly. Guys are usually cool with with general info, and details being handled via p.m. Fellow Pa guy here. It takes alot coming from the east, and getting a area dialed in. There is nothing special about your friends "area" other than the fact that they know it. Take what they are willing to share with you and be respectful with that information. They are your most valuable resource. They are trusting you with alot.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advise

sndmn11

WKR
I think it is obvious who is clueless about this mentioned road and giving the guy a hard time. There are a fistful of outfitters packing strings off the end, and drive to camps as well. There will be stock trailers, green circus camps, A+ camps, and probably 500+ people will set foot on a 1/4 mile section of that road between now and Thanksgiving.
And none of that has any effect on the hunting.