Code names you’ve used with UPS?

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Like mentioned, Pirate ship is the way to go. The price is no joke almost half price from UPS store, and you can put whatever shipper name you want, including the item description.

WKR

WKR
Like mentioned, Pirate ship is the way to go. The price is no joke almost half price from UPS store, and you can put whatever shipper name you want, including the item description.
Yeah but what happens if you ship components of a custom rifle build and insure it for say $5k, then find out their 3rd party insurance doesn't cover firearms or parts?

This is a hypothetical, but its also something I have done. I was unaware if the firearm policy thing is even true or not, but recently doing business with someone on another forum, they brought that up.

I've been digging but haven't found a solid answer

ChrisAU

WKR
I ship UPS and USPS through PayPal Shipstation. Never have to declare what it is and its a good bit cheaper and faster than standing in line somewhere.

We've had a contractor at our house doing some interior work for the last two weeks. Freaking neighbors are nosy, all asking what we are having done. Not even next door neighbors, like folks down the street that don't even know my name. Next person that asks I'm going to say we are putting in a sex dungeon.
You may get neighbors you don't know, wanting to visit, lol.

280Ackley

WKR
I refuse to ship with UPS, I know people seem to have problems with USPS but I might be lucky. I got a charge for a UPS shipment last night, they’re claiming the bow I shipped was actually 62lbs and not the 12lbs I’d shipped it as
I bet that is there “dimensional weight”. They make you put in your dimensions then charge you off that.

WKR

WKR
Shipsurance is the name of the 3rd party shipping insurance used on pirateship.com
Reading through their terms of service, I havent found anything excluding firearms....just a 5000 dollar limit.

BBob

WKR
I use pirateship, but recently someone told me they won't insure firearms or parts, any truth to that?
You cannot ship firearms or any firearms parts and accessories through Pirateship/UPS at all let alone insure them. Scopes are okay. I recall getting an email from them when this went into effect.
IMG_2793.jpeg

It seems everytime I go into UPS to ship something they ask me “What are we shipping today?”. I’ve never had any issues, but a few weeks ago a friend from work was shipping a rifle stock and the lady at the desk apparently refused to ship it because it was a “gun part”.

Just for fun, what code names have you used for gun components with your shipper? I recently used “aircraft part”?
With any of them, ups, usps, fedex, paypal, ebay.....I use rabbit food.....Had one guy ask why are you insuring rabbit food for 1000$? I said, its expensive rabbit food duh and it comes in a rectangle feeder trough..... no more questions. I used baseball bat for a long time as well lol course some of the bats my son used in college cost more than some of my firearms.

WKR

WKR
If it’s not prohibited by USPS then it’s okay to ship using Pirateship.
So it might be ok to ship, but will it be insured through the 3rd party insurance, thats the question.

I quickly went through shipsurance's terms of service and didn't see any language on firearms coverage

BBob

WKR
So it might be ok to ship, but will it be insured through the 3rd party insurance, thats the question.
I went through the same page and it appears that if you don’t violate the shippers rules they will insure it. You can start a chat from that page and specifically ask that question.

Reactions: WKR

BBob

WKR
I asked. The reply was that if you do not ship a prohibited item according to the shippers rules the third party insurance will insure it. The only thing they called out specifically firearms related was you cannot ship ammunition via USPS. They acknowledged that you can ship firearms legally via USPS.

Last edited:

Ucsdryder

WKR
I don’t think shipping a gun is the issue, I think claiming insurance on a lost gun is the issue.

I shipped a scope with ups because usps had closed for the day. They called around for 30 minutes before he finally let me ship it. Next time, I’ll just ship the next day. What a hassle! Had a stock shipped to me a month ago. They used ups. Took a week longer to get it than it should have because they wouldn’t run their routes after it snowed a week prior. I really wouldn’t have thought much of it, but I had 3 packages show up on a Thursday, and ups delivered 2 of them that Thursday, and wouldn’t deliver the other until the following Tuesday. UPS could fall of the earth and we’d all be better for it.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Yeah but what happens if you ship components of a custom rifle build and insure it for say $5k, then find out their 3rd party insurance doesn't cover firearms or parts?

This is a hypothetical, but its also something I have done. I was unaware if the firearm policy thing is even true or not, but recently doing business with someone on another forum, they brought that up.

I've been digging but haven't found a solid answer
So that one I can't answer. I was just commenting on pirate ship for day to day stuff and saving money/ease of drop off.