Colorado archery elk in Augest

chas

Lil-Rokslider
Would the rut be starting in Colorado during the first week of archery?

Seems ever unit can be different on how the elk rut. I have noticed it's usually the same peak each year for the most part but I've been in units with bulls screaming opening weekend an I've been in units they won't bugle at all. The rut could be starting it just depends. Sometimes the pre rut can be one of the better times to hunt.

OP
chas

chas

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the reply. Heading out for the first time. Would it be worth purchasing a call or two?
Chas

Depends alot on weather too.. last season it didnt seem to start till the beginning of Oct in a lot of areas.. But who knows, just gotta be there when it happens, or make the best of the situation.

Akicita

WKR
My observations in far Western and North West Colorado are bulls break away from bachelor groups as antler growth stops and velvet is shed. This typically is around mid August at which time they begin to gather harems while their testosterone levels rise from scraping. As they gather and build harems through late August and into September they become more vocal. Late September is usually the period of full rut when they sound off quite regularly.

It is my experience that bugling may not be effective during early archery season while bulls and harems are escaping the heat in cool dark timber hideouts. They will typically move from bedding areas to feeding areas in late evening or very early morning. They will often travel to wallows in late afternoon on hot days - I feel that positioning is a better strategy than calling. I would look for water holes that are well hidden and far from trails or roads. Set up there and only bugle occasionally with a few cow calls. This may bring a bull in that is trying to build a herd but also may drive them away if he is not ready for altercation so early in the season. Hope that helps. . . Water and position is key for early season success.

xziang

WKR
Last two years seems where I've been hunting the rut never even occurred during the archery season. It was a week or two AFTER IT.

Tsnider

WKR
my first year out they were rutting full on opening weekend. since it was my first year i didnt quite identify it that way at the time as i didnt really know that much about the animals. i had brought in a bull that came to my crappy calling, and then i found out about 30 minutes later he was a satellite bull amongst some others and a GIANT bull came through with his harem. opening day, my first year bow hunting and my first year big game hunting. that was a crazy sight to see!

Akicita

WKR
my first year out they were rutting full on opening weekend. since it was my first year i didnt quite identify it that way at the time as i didnt really know that much about the animals. i had brought in a bull that came to my crappy calling, and then i found out about 30 minutes later he was a satellite bull amongst some others and a GIANT bull came through with his harem. opening day, my first year bow hunting and my first year big game hunting. that was a crazy sight to see!

Assuming your talking about opening weekend of archery that makes sense but with all due respect let's not confuse the height of the harem season or the build up to the rut, with peak rut. It is my experience that peak rut happens within a week or so of the Autumn equinox. This in my experience is when I have observed the most cows coming into to estrus. I see some cows come in with their first cycle much earlier, and I see some come in with their last cycle much later, but the majority come in within five to ten days of September 22nd or 23rd. In my experience weather only plays a roll in the activity of the rut and not the peak rut itself - but rut activity is a whole other topic. . .

I would say your best bet for calling an early season Bull is to use an Estrus call. . . One I have never come to master as I tend to over do it which makes most bulls cautious so early in the season. Most don't want to leave a harem they are working hard to build to go to deal with a bitchy cow in heat while their T-Levels are still relatively low. Most young rag horns or young bulls may show much greater interest so it will be your decision what you want and what you are willing to work for.

Wakan Takan kici hehaka

Respectfully,
Akicita

OP
chas

chas

Lil-Rokslider
Everyone,
Love this site, the responses are always helpful.
Thank you and good luck this season.

Hayguide

Lil-Rokslider
I think it all depends on the weather, that time of year the elk start to put there winter coats on, if its 70-80 degrees in the daytime at 10,000 the activity is at night when its cool. There is also a huge difference in weather from SW to NW Colorado. If its cool it can be great hunting. No matter what, you cant predict it so go hunting!

cnelk

WKR
I hunt about 150 sq miles of elk country.

Opening weekend I go to spots that are different than where I go the last weekend.
Bugling depends on the hunting pressure. If there are a lot of guys walking around tooting on the tubes, the elk shut right up.
Mid-week can be the best time to hunt most OTC Colorado

Tsnider

WKR
Assuming your talking about opening weekend of archery that makes sense but with all due respect let's not confuse the height of the harem season or the build up to the rut, with peak rut. It is my experience that peak rut happens within a week or so of the Autumn equinox. This in my experience is when I have observed the most cows coming into to estrus. I see some cows come in with their first cycle much earlier, and I see some come in with their last cycle much later, but the majority come in within five to ten days of September 22nd or 23rd. In my experience weather only plays a roll in the activity of the rut and not the peak rut itself - but rut activity is a whole other topic. . .

I would say your best bet for calling an early season Bull is to use an Estrus call. . . One I have never come to master as I tend to over do it which makes most bulls cautious so early in the season. Most don't want to leave a harem they are working hard to build to go to deal with a bitchy cow in heat while their T-Levels are still relatively low. Most young rag horns or young bulls may show much greater interest so it will be your decision what you want and what you are willing to work for.

Wakan Takan kici hehaka

Respectfully,
Akicita

thanks for the info! im still learning.