Colorado Assault Weapons Ban

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I think the thing that did us in was all the people who moved here. Sure, there are definitely a lot of the AR-15 liberals here (never thought I would have to type that phrase, but here we are), but I think the thing that really put us over the edge was all of the people who moved to the cities for work over the last 15 years. The Colorado tech boom attracted tons of people who have no connection to the outdoors or the culture here, and they just blanket vote for California policies. Sad that probably the best hunting state in the lower 48 has been destroyed like this.
Maybe my memory is faded a bit, I grew up in NM and it used to be much easier to get tags and hunt elk each year than it is now but I remember going on an elk hunting trip in Colorado with my dad back in the mid 90s when I was in highschool and we couldn’t believe how overrun the place was with other hunters. Maybe back in the 70s is was great but that place has been sort of a circus for a very long time.

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
That's fine. I'm not from there and wouldn't live there.
Like I said, I lived there . My best memories of it are of taking road trips with my buddies to fly fish and climb 14ers and crushing dollar beers bid day on the decks of ski lodges.

I’d never move back, I doubt I could afford to even if I wanted to. I hunted there half a dozen times with my dad when I was younger and I don’t remember the hunting being all that great.

Ehunter56

FNG
What bothers me the most is, people think making gun ban LAWS will stop gun related violence. Politicians especially. Problem is, it's CRIMINALS that are committing gun violence. CRIMINALS don't give a damn about laws, or they wouldn't be CRIMINALS! When will people get that through their heads? Instead, pass a law that any criminal threatening with a gun=10 years no parole. Brandishing a gun during a crime=20 years no parole. Firing a gun during a crime=40 years, no parole. Punishment works if you quit letting them out after a few years "because they found God and are now good people".

So, with the “ban”, if you build a rifle how is that regulated? If you piece together parts it’s much harder to regulate.

texag10

WKR
What bothers me the most is, people think making gun ban LAWS will stop gun related violence. Politicians especially. Problem is, it's CRIMINALS that are committing gun violence. CRIMINALS don't give a damn about laws, or they wouldn't be CRIMINALS! When will people get that through their heads? Instead, pass a law that any criminal threatening with a gun=10 years no parole. Brandishing a gun during a crime=20 years no parole. Firing a gun during a crime=40 years, no parole. Punishment works if you quit letting them out after a few years "because they found God and are now good people".
Sorry, we're not allowed to talk about the fact that multiple gun laws were already broken by most of the people involved in crime with a gun. That 15 year old in Aurora that bought a gun off Snapchat? This ban will TOTALLY solve that problem.

Denver city council passed a concealed carry ban in public parks a couple years ago after a shooting, of course no mention if the shooter had a CHL because we know the answer.

Your solution would "disproportionately impact communities of color" so it's a no go for the intelligentsia that run CO.

Hence my WTB AR15 ad lol.

Anyone know the timeline on when this is expected to make it to the Governhers desk? And when it would become effective?

This is the wrong solution for sure, but I would like to point out that the majority of mass shootings (obviously excluding the ones that only involve gangbangers) are performed with legally obtained guns. And those are the mass shootings that scare me and my middle class family.

texag10

WKR
Hence my WTB AR15 ad lol.

Anyone know the timeline on when this is expected to make it to the Governhers desk? And when it would become effective?

This is the wrong solution for sure, but I would like to point out that the majority of mass shootings (obviously excluding the ones that only involve gangbangers) are performed with legally obtained guns. And those are the mass shootings that scare me and my middle class family.
Depends on the definition you use. Kind of like what is an "assault weapon", it's whatever is politically expedient.

If you use the definition of 3 or more killed in a single incident, I would bet a large sum of money that your assertion is wrong.

If the bill is signed, it'd be in effect July 1st. Order those lowers now, gotta wait 3 days to pick em up!

Proving (or disproving) either side of my assertion would be exceptionally challenging. With that said, I have done quite a bit of research on the topic. I have no way to discern how valid or invalid the sources are, but have no reason to believe they are invalid. If anything I firmly believe that gangbangers shooting each other skews the data towards the ILLEGALLY obtained side, while posing no legitimate threat to the overwhelming majority of middle class, law abiding citizens such as myself and my family.

100/149 shootings (67%) legally obtained firearms:
Similar data set showing 77%:

Here is one from Texas where Abbott tried to claim the opposite and was proven wrong (13/19 or 68% legally acquired firearms)

A worthwhile FBI study, more of the same (see page 7 for key findings, page 15 for firearm acquisition status):

I could continue fairly easily. Almost anything trying to claim the opposite is going to come from fringe sources that are technically classified as entertainment instead of news/information.

I wish they'd cut to the chase and just make murder illegal.

texag10

WKR
Proving (or disproving) either side of my assertion would be exceptionally challenging. With that said, I have done quite a bit of research on the topic. I have no way to discern how valid or invalid the sources are, but have no reason to believe they are invalid. If anything I firmly believe that gangbangers shooting each other skews the data towards the ILLEGALLY obtained side, while posing no legitimate threat to the overwhelming majority of middle class, law abiding citizens such as myself and my family.

100/149 shootings (67%) legally obtained firearms:
Similar data set showing 77%:

Here is one from Texas where Abbott tried to claim the opposite and was proven wrong (13/19 or 68% legally acquired firearms)

A worthwhile FBI study, more of the same (see page 7 for key findings, page 15 for firearm acquisition status):

I could continue fairly easily. Almost anything trying to claim the opposite is going to come from fringe sources that are technically classified as entertainment instead of news/information.
Fair enough, I appreciate you providing links to look over.

I'm in full agreement with the part I bolded, the best way to avoid being a homicide victim is not engaging in organized criminal activity. Do that, and your chances of getting murdered start to look vanishingly small.

Hnthrdr

WKR
There are some "John Brown Gun Club" pinko liberal types on here. Be careful you might get antifa'd.
Never got the “John brown gun club” thing, obviously those idiots don’t understand or bother to read history, JB was much more aligned with Christian nationalism than any kind of anarchist or commie… but whatever

Hnthrdr

WKR
Fair enough, I appreciate you providing links to look over.

I'm in full agreement with the part I bolded, the best way to avoid being a homicide victim is not engaging in organized criminal activity. Do that, and your chances of getting murdered start to look vanishingly small.
Since the commies at the state leg called it a mass shooting epidemic I ran some numbers for the last 10 years, I didn’t differentiate between gang related and others, so just general mass shootings. You are about 1.5x more likely to be killed in a mass shooting as you are a lighting strike in Co, to be wounded by either the odds are the same. Now if you avoid sketchy parts of town and dealing drugs I bet your odds go way way down. So yes it is right up there with the epidemic of lighting

texag10

WKR
Since the commies at the state leg called it a mass shooting epidemic I ran some numbers for the last 10 years, I didn’t differentiate between gang related and others, so just general mass shootings. You are about 1.5x more likely to be killed in a mass shooting as you are a lighting strike in Co, to be wounded by either the odds are the same. Now if you avoid sketchy parts of town and dealing drugs I bet your odds go way way down. So yes it is right up there with the epidemic of lighting
I will be holding my breath until there's a bill to prevent going above treeline in the afternoon in late summer.....

Hnthrdr

WKR
I will be holding my breath until there's a bill to prevent going above treeline in the afternoon in late summer.....
Well according to them that much senseless death is an epidemic, so something must be done to stop it!

Never got the “John brown gun club” thing, obviously those idiots don’t understand or bother to read history, JB was much more aligned with Christian nationalism than any kind of anarchist or commie… but whatever

It’s because they are woke morons and think Conservatives are racists that want to bring back slavery. Same incels that dress up in tactical gear with a rainbow badge and stand guard outside a drag time story hour for kids. There might be one or two of them
on here that secretly go hunting with their Trump supporting grandpa when they aren’t training for Pride security.

Hnthrdr

WKR
It’s because they are woke morons and think Conservatives are racists that want to bring back slavery. Same incels that dress up in tactical gear with a rainbow badge and stand guard outside a drag time story hour for kids. There might be one or two of them
on here that secretly go hunting with their Trump supporting grandpa when they aren’t training for Pride security.
For sure, it’s just funny that if JB were alive to day he would probably be mowing down LGBT’ers for the same reason he was so militantly against slavery according to his interpretation of the good book. Just a tad ironic that they think it’s hip to name a
Left wing gun club after him…