Committed to Trad

Rick653

FNG
At the beginning of this year I decided I was going to use a recurve for the fall whitetail season. I snatched my grandpa's Wing Hunter from the house and started to practice. Started off struggling to hit my 18in block target at 20yrds, and now can shoot a very consistent 4in group. I plan on hanging my tree stand up today and practicing from that.

Just a little motivation for anyone else thinking about making the jump to Trad. It will definitely take alot of time but the progression is worth it. That being said I still have a long ways to go. Best of luck to everyone preparing for the fall

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
Glad to hear that Rick, best of luck with it. Nothing is cooler than using a stick. One thing I always mention there are aiming techniques. If you’re not familiar with them some reason say so and I’m sure guys could help. I know I will

OP
Rick653

Rick653

FNG
Glad to hear that Rick, best of luck with it. Nothing is cooler than using a stick. One thing I always mention there are aiming techniques. If you’re not familiar with them some reason say so and I’m sure guys could help. I know I will
I definitely appreciate that! I've been gap shooting for now. I've only been shooting field points and plan on practicing with broadhead soon. I have a feeling that's where things will get difficult again

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
If the bow is tuned properly I don’t think you’ll have any difficulty. Can’t tune unless form is good, consistent. Just a FYI. What type broadheads you gonnna try

OP
Rick653

Rick653

FNG
I'm thinking Grizzly. I've been messing around with a bunch of different arrow setups and point weight. Ive been shooting 300g out front and it's doing well. I don't plan on shooting at an animal over 20yrds

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
I'm thinking Grizzly. I've been messing around with a bunch of different arrow setups and point weight. Ive been shooting 300g out front and it's doing well. I don't plan on shooting at an animal over 20yrds
Grizzly are great heads imo. I use them in couple of bows. Prob my primary choice

OP
Rick653

Rick653

FNG
Its addicting but frustrating at the same time. …best wishes in your journey.

On my first couple hunts is where I ran into trouble with poor shots and complete misses. I now have a more consistent aiming system and shot process where I hold for a second while aiming to feel the components of my shot.

Shooting an unmarked 3D range really helps dial a guy in.

I definitely want to do a 3D with it someday. I guess the only way I'm going to figure out how ready I am is when I get a deer to step into range

OP
Rick653

Rick653

FNG
I gotta say I really enjoyed the atmosphere of the Trad community. Everyone is very willing to help. Here are some pictures of my progression since March

Attachments

• Snapchat-309929138.jpg
    Snapchat-309929138.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Snapchat-667585078.jpg
    Snapchat-667585078.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 30
  • Snapchat-1022796950.jpg
    Snapchat-1022796950.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Snapchat-565646139.jpg
    Snapchat-565646139.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 29
I suggest buying some Judo points and talk your bow on a walk, shoot some soft decayed stump or pine cones, shoot close shots and stretch them out to learn your arrows trajectory. Minor mistakes are magnified at distance and it can tell you some things about your shot.

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
I definitely want to do a 3D with it someday. I guess the only way I'm going to figure out how ready I am is when I get a deer to step into range
Rick 3D may have some pressure shots, if you miss you’ll lose or break arrow. That pressure is good Another way is to shoot a a friend. Make a tic tac toe board or something . Play 2-3 best. Whoever wins has a better team, has a better country or just buys a soda. You’ll want yo beat him though and that will be pressure. Gotta learn eventually yo shoot under it but you can mimic some

OP
Rick653

Rick653

FNG
You guys all have some awesome ideas on how to improve my skills. I'm definitely going to give all of these a try. What's the worst that happens? I spend a day shooting my bow? Sounds terrible....

oldgoat

WKR
We almost never actually shoot at stumps when we go "stumping", most are too hard where we live. But we find a spot that's arrow safe and pick out clumps of grass, small bushes, say the size of a deer vitals, trash, cow pies, mole hills are a favorite, I almost think this is better than 3d because the distance is unknown and the size of the target is always different and that makes yardage estimate way more difficult. When I'm taking a practice shot from a treestand, a leaf on the ground that the sun is reflecting off is a favor target. Do yourself a favor and buy some VPA Small Game Thumpers, they are tough as nails and keep your arrows from burying under or into leaf litter and grass!

Dwight2180

Lil-Rokslider
When you start shooting from a stand, make sure you tilt your upper body at the hips to maintain form alignment. Lots of times, people don't lean and just drop their bow arm (been there done that).

Dwight2180

Lil-Rokslider
I gotta say I really enjoyed the atmosphere of the Trad community. Everyone is very willing to help. Here are some pictures of my progression since March
Good looking groups! Shoot in an many different scenarios as possible before hunting at as many different targets as possible.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Nope, your fletches are the wrong color, you're doomed

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
Best of luck Rick. Keep your shots close and you'll be fine. You can do it!!! My favourite saying is that where a compound shooter starts to draw a stick bow shooter starts their hunt.

Dskinn

FNG
Classified Approved
Never tried the thumpers, great suggestion. I’ll give them a try soon.

OP
Rick653

Rick653

FNG
Finally stopped raining long enough to hang the stand. Just a picture for your amusement. Can't go too high or the neighbors might think I'm a spy

Attachments

• PXL_20210719_221055760.jpg
    PXL_20210719_221055760.jpg
    674.4 KB · Views: 9

Warmsy

WKR
I committed last year and in a zone California I may never get a deer, but rabbits and squirrels keep me going. I sold the compound. It's a great feeling!

+1 on the thumpers. I use zwickey kondor for quail, but I love the accuracy of the thumpers on long rabbit shots