Cooper tires

jpmulk

WKR
Anyone have any experience with Cooper ATP 2 tires?

My understanding is they don’t have the snowflake rating. But they are essentially the same tire as the cooperAT3. By that I mean they have the same compound. Just different lug shape.

Thanks for any experienced info.

Backyard

WKR
Pay attention to the UTQG rating of the tire. (look it up), this rating will help in choosing a tire based on traction and treadwear. After I learned about this, I started buying tires for mine and my wife's vehicles based on this and the conditions we expect to encounter, has made a world of difference. And has taken the guesswork, and word of the salesmen selling based on his profit out of the equation.
Note: I did not post this to start an argument, I'm not an expert, this is my experience only.

2five7

WKR
Are you asking about the Walmart only Cooper tires? The ones that are significantly cheaper than the AT3 that you would get at discount tire or similar store?

OP
jpmulk

jpmulk

WKR
Are you asking about the Walmart only Cooper tires? The ones that are significantly cheaper than the AT3 that you would get at discount tire or similar store?
Yes
Pay attention to the UTQG rating of the tire. (look it up), this rating will help in choosing a tire based on traction and treadwear. After I learned about this, I started buying tires for mine and my wife's vehicles based on this and the conditions we expect to encounter, has made a world of difference. And has taken the guesswork, and word of the salesmen selling based on his profit out of the equation.
Note: I did not post this to start an argument, I'm not an expert, this is my experience only.
great advice. Thanks!

manitou1

WKR
I have had Cooper tires in the past and can mirror what others have said about off road traction.

I was recommended their new Rugged Trek series last year (newly released) and can honestly say I am impressed.

I live in Wyoming and scout, camp, fish and hunt most of the year. Much of this is on very poor two tracks and forest service roads... and our gravel road to our place.
With over 20K miles on them now, these have proved to the best aggressive AT tire I have ever used. Great road manners, fairly quite, smooth, and most importantly for me... great traction.
These tires are also the most even wearing (so far) AT tire I have ever used to date.

I know this isn't the model you asked about... but I sure can recommend them.

rtkbowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'm on my fourth set of Cooper Discoverer AT3's on my 2011 Tacoma and 2004 Jeep Wrangler. 3 on the Tacoma and 1 on the Jeep. I have had absolutely zero issue off road or in snow. And I average 60-70K miles on them.

manitou1

WKR
I couldn't wait to get the COOPER AT3s off my truck. My neighbor too.

We both yanked them off our trucks prematurely due to their incompetence on the mud, snow and terrain here in WY.

OrthoNPBeau

FNG
Classified Approved
I have always had excellent luck out of Toyo brand. I have always read similar experiences with Cooper tires as are reflected here. Good luck with your search.

Hoh Down

FNG
I am currently running the APT II's on my half ton Ram. No complaints from me. They've been great on and off road in rain, snow, ice and mud. Picked them up at Discount Tire and I have beenore than satisfied. I shit canned some Nitto Ridge Grapplers and they've been substantially better than the Nittos.

2five7

WKR
Yes

great advice. Thanks!
In that case, they are fine, but not as good as the "real" Coopers like the AT3, STT PRO, etc. There is a reason they are almost half the price. I'd buy them if it's just a run around truck, and not used for serious off road work.

IW17

FNG
Cooper atp is the same rubber compound as their at3 model, only with a different tread pattern. Neither of these carry the three mountain peak rating as far as I know. The at3 was upgraded to three new models, the at3 4s, at3 Lt and at3 xlt. The 4s and Lt are both winter rated. I've been using the 4s on my trucks for the last few years. No complaints. They do very well in rain, wet snow, muddy jobsites and secondary roadways. Deep fluffy snow and deep mud not so much, but then again these are all terrain tires so they shouldn't be expected to. Puncture resistance is pretty good. I've had a few flats I've had to plug, but I spend 5-6 days a week on commercial jobsites so that's pretty good in my eyes. As far as mileage, as long as I do my part and keep them rotated I get 55-60k miles.

I've got about 25k on my Cooper AT3 XLT on 2019 RAM Limited and they've been rock stars. Excellent on/off road traction and quiet/forgiving ride. I took the OEM 22s off my Ram and replaced with some OEM 18s and mounted a set of 275/70 on them, and I have zero complaints.

I live 2 miles off the pavement on gravel and spent 10 days in the Big Horns on 2 tracks and forest service roads last fall after about a foot of snow. I had zero traction issues in deep snow, slush, snirt, ice, etc...