Cougar attack vid

FlyGuy

WKR
This video is incredible. I don’t know anything about this video at all. Don’t know the person or area. A buddy just sent me the link to it and it appears to be new but maybe not? Appears this guy was out for a jog or hike when he 1st came across a cougar cub and then very shortly a very angry and determined cougar momma.

He did a great job (IMO) of
- 1) not running
- 2) creating distance
- 3) not turning his back on her
- 4) being loud and big
- 5) maintaining his balance
- 6) not dying

Wow! This is just amazing to watch. I am surprised at how long this lasts.

(Warning - loud, strong language so open with caution)

You can’t cheat the mountain

Scrappy

WKR
That kitty wasn't playing around. I agree the guy did the best he could in that situation. Some arm chair quarterbacking here, I wonder if it would of helped if he would of tried kicking rocks at it when it was really close or if that would have made it attack?

OP
FlyGuy

FlyGuy

WKR
Yeah, I was thinking throw rocks, but I bet he was afraid to bend down. She was charging every time he looked behind him to see where he was stepping, and she wasn’t really giving him much space to make that move... there was one point that he had some distance and probably didn’t get a rock b/c he figured it was over - but then she came back after him.

Agree that approaching a cougar cub is not the smartest thing. But he seemed to be a good distance away. Can’t say I would have done much different. At the distance he was from the cub I would have expected the mom to gather the Cubs and run away, not come charging in to attack. Very odd behavior IMO.

rodney482

WKR
Yeah, I was thinking throw rocks, but I bet he was afraid to bend down. She was charging every time he looked behind him to see where he was stepping, and she wasn’t really giving him much space to make that move... there was one point that he had some distance and probably didn’t get a rock b/c he figured it was over - but then she came back after him.

Agree that approaching a cougar cub is not the smartest thing. But he seemed to be a good distance away. Can’t say I would have done much different. At the distance he was from the cub I would have expected the mom to gather the Cubs and run away, not come charging in to attack. Very odd behavior IMO.

She looked thin

Maybe it's just me, but that cat looked super skinny. I kept thinking he needed to stop retreating and make a stand, but things worked out well for him. It looks like he threw a rock at the end there.

gelton

WKR
Well, I just took the holster off my pack belt because I am going to be carrying a rifle but after watching this I am putting it back on in the case the rifle is slung to the pack lol.

I don't think I could have backpedaled for that distance without at least worrying about tripping...I probably would have stood my ground much sooner and it could have gone either way.

Saiselgi

FNG
The cat was probably a lot closer to him than appears in the video, maybe he felt vulnerable bending down to throw rocks? I was thinking to myself, throw some rocks!!! Hard to judge from a couch though.

That was some beautiful country...

Muletrip

FNG
Thats a cool video. A few years ago my sister had a lion follow her on a forest service trail. It vocalized the entire time it followed her and didnt break off until she made it to her truck.

MattB

WKR
That was some crazy ninja stuff that kitten in the middle of the trail did at the start of the video..

It would be interesting to know the distance of that cat for most of the video. I too was thinking throw rocks, but I also understand trying not to look small or give the cat an angle.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I agree, bending over and making yourself small could instigate an attack. I was looking for a big stick the whole time he was walking. I think making a stand too early might have ended badly as she was protecting her cubs when he was close to them.

Only thing you can really bust his balls on is walking toward the kitten. I’ve come across cubs and my first instinct is to back out as fast as possible. Going closer would never cross my mind.

OP
FlyGuy

FlyGuy

WKR
It did look skinny.

I am not sure but it appears there are two lion cubs. The 1st one seen sort of frozen in the road that retreats left, and then it appears that a second one comes sprinting right at him with mom close behind. Camera doesn’t show the cats for a while so no idea what happened. Was sort of wondering if the second cub got behind him? Maybe that had something to do with her behavior? I throw that out there, but I sort of doubt that was the cause. I feel like it’s because she was starving and trying to raise twins and he just looked like an opportunity...

What do you think happens now? My guess is That cat will be put down. Don’t want her doing that again or training those Cubs. What happens to the young uns?

NMframed

Lil-Rokslider
That would’ve been one hell of a adrenaline rush! I enjoy a good adrenaline rush but I can’t lie, I probably would have shit my pants or started to cry on that one. I can’t imagine having that much time to think about “is this how I’m going to die?”.
I don’t necessarily think she looks super skinny or starving. I thought she looked like a healthy mother that may be a little thin from nursing some cubs. I think most wildlife that are nursing babies are always a little bit thinner and I’m sure they’re always hungry. Probably started out as her just defending her cubs and then turned into “maybe I can get a meal out of this guy”.

tdhanses

WKR
Maybe it's just me, but that cat looked super skinny. I kept thinking he needed to stop retreating and make a stand, but things worked out well for him. It looks like he threw a rock at the end there.
Yeah my arm chair advice, hold your ground and make a stand but he did survive.

OP
FlyGuy

FlyGuy

WKR
I am calling bullshit here. Exactly how are you going to “make a stand”?
You stop retreating so that the cat can close into a couple yards and then what??? Staring contest? What you going to do when she closes the last yard? You going to bare knuckle fight her? Maybe do some Ju jitsu? I hope not! I don’t think you would win.

I’m not an expert on cougars or surviving cougar attacks.... but She’s got claws and teeth and kills big shit everyday. You’re armed with a cell phone.

Giving up your only advantage, distance, seems foolish to me.