Disputed sale of boots from me

FWIW - I have had that hydrolysis thing happen to me on foot wear. In fact two pair of boots and a set of rock shoes stored in an attic went bad within a couple of years. The soles were good but the mid soles just crumbled.

IMO offer to pay return shipping and take the boots back. If they are good to go, relsit them and chalk it up to doing business costs. If they don’t then they are full of shit. I did that on an eBay item where buyers were asking for partial refunds / discounts after the sale for a while. I sold a jacket that I wore twice and washed once. The buyer sent me pics of lint in the Velcro and asked fr 1/3 off. I said send it back and I will give you your money plus return shipping and they never responded.

One of two things likely happened, sadly either way I wouldn’t be surprised.

#1 The boots were substantially more than a year old, and despite only being used once broke down. Unfortunately a lot of my gear fails from age rather than wear. Tents delaminate, sleeping pad baffles separate, waders crack, etc, despite looking new. I bought a used pair of Sidi dirt bike boots, stuck them on a shelf, a few years later they are cracking apart in chunks.

#2 There seem to be people with no dignity any more and might have owned an old, cracked pair of boots bought the ones in question as a replacement and now wanting a refund to get the new one for “free.”

amassi

WKR
One of two things likely happened, sadly either way I wouldn’t be surprised.

#1 The boots were substantially more than a year old, and despite only being used once broke down. Unfortunately a lot of my gear fails from age rather than wear. Tents delaminate, sleeping pad baffles separate, waders crack, etc, despite looking new. I bought a used pair of Sidi dirt bike boots, stuck them on a shelf, a few years later they are cracking apart in chunks.

#2 There seem to be people with no dignity any more and might have owned an old, cracked pair of boots bought the ones in question as a replacement and now wanting a refund to get the new one for “free.”
#2 and will ship the old worn-out boots back to the op, thus completing the scam.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

svivian

WKR
These things should be handled privately first well before its brought to a public setting..... You chose to make the situation worst and regardless of the outcome, will affect your sell rating more than just taking the dispute on the chin. There will be some real egg on the face if the boots did degrade their first trip out and the buyer isn't lying.

*zap*

WKR
Lots of scammers out there...it can become a tough situation to deal with. I think all of us deals with it at one time or another....make your decision and move on...

BobbyMac

Lil-Rokslider
I think the OP was clear on a couple things.
1) He believes buyer is sending pics of different boots than were sold to him.
2) Buyer threatening public shame.

Sounds like extortion to me...Post up your original pics with the buyers pics and the time frame between the 2! Probably pretty easy to see tread wear is different. I would hold firm. If your conscience is bothering you...throw him a c-note and tell him to get them resoled!

Last edited:

Hondo

WKR
I'm guessing that the buyer didn't pay by PayPal Goods & Services as he could have just opened up a case rather than going back and forth with the seller with the threats.

Jethro

WKR
He claims the boots were received cracked or they cracked when he wore them? They look brand new in your classified ad.

Post the pics you got from the buyer of the cracked boots.

fwafwow

WKR
He claims the boots were received cracked or they cracked when he wore them? They look brand new in your classified ad.

Post the pics you got from the buyer of the cracked boots.
Yes please. Is the buyer a low post count member who is extremely brief in posts?

LandYacht

WKR
Based off your reasoning of being “accurate” in your defense of your “thinking” comment on the 1st time Montana Elk post reply, you should refund the money sight unseen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
tntrker

tntrker

WKR
I'm guessing that the buyer didn't pay by PayPal Goods & Services as he could have just opened up a case rather than going back and forth with the seller with the threats.
It was through PayPal and I didn’t think about that. I’ve sold before but never came across this issue in either being buyer or seller. Thanks!

OP
tntrker

tntrker

WKR
These things should be handled privately first well before its brought to a public setting..... You chose to make the situation worst and regardless of the outcome, will affect your sell rating more than just taking the dispute on the chin. There will be some real egg on the face if the boots did degrade their first trip out and the buyer isn't lying.
I agree, sorry to all for posting this nonsense.

*zap*

WKR
The way pp g&s works someone can dispute the sale as not as advertised and mail you back a brick....then get a refund.

IMO, buying something used often comes at a lower cost but it also usually comes with an element of added risk. If the buyer didn’t report a crack immediately after unboxing the boots then it happened during his use, which is on him not the OP.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I left an expensive pair in my attic for over a year. Conditioned, when I put them in.
Pulled them out and they started falling apart after first use. I imagine storage caused
them to fall apart prematurely. I would refund the buyer.
Some conditioning treatments will eat up rubber on boots, can't blame everything on where they're stored

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Was just on a cold hunt this weekend where a buddy threw on his old insulated boots that were pretty new looking (worn less than 5 times) but at least 5 years old. By lunch the rubber last (or whatever the thick strip covering the toes/sides is called) had completely cracked on one foot and he had a 1" hole near the toebox. Had to wrap it with duct tape. Other boot was fine...

So I guess I'm saying it's plausible.

All internet sales are final, as is transactions why would anyone refund someone who bought used, as is items????? That’s ridiculous imo.

Better yet, why would you care if you were “shamed” on a forum???

If you sent boots as advertised for an agreed on amount that’s a done deal and he can go pound sand. If he isn’t happy he can buy new next time instead of being a cheapskate buying used from a stranger online. If he “shames” you here whatever that means so what?