Do you keep your vehicle clean?

I live at the end of a dirt road and grew up on another. The part of my brain thats supposed to tell me to wash my truck never developed. Wash it with soap probably once a year.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Just went and looked in the back of my truck. Yep, dried elk blood from sept 15 still back there. Doesn’t seem to stink, even with the shell on the back. I’ll probably get yelled at by my wife at some point and hose it out.

tony

WKR
Only twice a year. Once after mud season is over and once before the snow flies.

My road during last mud season. The town puts “closed to thru traffic” signs up at the end but people always accept the challenge and get stuck. Had to sneak around this one one night.

View attachment 609994
My GF took a travel job in Vermont last year. We never heard of “mud season” before and thankfully missed it. :p
It did snow like 5 inches in April when I helped move her in. And then it was gone the next day. She was right between Berlin and Northfield, the Darn Tough sock factory was off the other end of the road she lived on. Just a few miles from Montpelier.
Never could see any moose though!

Last edited:
My tacoma gets washed if it rains. I don’t like trash so that gets thrown out when I get gas. I use my rig for everything and don’t want it to look like the posers with all the bells and whistles looking like overland rigs in town that are never dirty and never leave the pavement.

CorbLand

WKR
I have to shake my head at those who seem to regard their car as different than their house, hunting gear, work tools, etc etc. are your houses, gun racks (and bows) also treated with the same disregard? Why?

I seem to remember a hell of a lot of threads on garage organization. Must not be any overlap here…
Its a tool and as long as the tool continues to work, it doesnt matter.

Do you wipe down your hammer after every use?
Do you take apart your drill to make sure theres no dust in it?

ODB

WKR
Its a tool and as long as the tool continues to work, it doesnt matter.

Do you wipe down your hammer after every use?
Do you take apart your drill to make sure theres no dust in it?

When the condition of a tool has a material effect on whether it continues to work (or be safe) or not, it matters a great deal.

I presume you'd be OK with a dull, rusty knive to quarter your elk?

A gunked up action on your rifle?

And for the record, yes, I keep my tools clean. That's why some of my tools are 4o years old.

Ehunter

FNG
I keep the trash out my truck. Live in a dusty area. The real problem is my truck is the dog cadalic I haul 3 dogs around some times so dog hair is my culprit. I vacuume alot 😀

One of the guys I worked with his desk and his truck were always spotless. But if you grabbed the back of the bench seat and rolled it forward, behind it was stuffed with Marlboro boxes, Hoho, wrappers, slimJim wrappers, etc. I never did look in his desk drawer, but I’m sure it was probably the same situation. Really great guy by the way.

Marlboro ran a promotion, Where you would get prizes For turning in a part of the label for each pack. He had a butt load of those things. We Used to kid him he had almost enough for a big red oxygen tent.

CorbLand

WKR
When the condition of a tool has a material effect on whether it continues to work (or be safe) or not, it matters a great deal.

I presume you'd be OK with a dull, rusty knive to quarter your elk?

A gunked up action on your rifle?

And for the record, yes, I keep my tools clean. That's why some of my tools are 4o years old.
Where did anyone say that they let them get dirty to the point that the pickup no longer functions?

CorbLand

WKR
Do you wash your clothes? They still function when dirty.
Clothes make it so people can stand to be around me, nobody wants to see my ass naked. The same can be said when they stink. In this case, if they stink the tool no longer works.

bpa556

FNG
Yes - I keep my truck clean, but i'm not anal retentive. I think there is the "take the trash out, vacuum, and wash it on occasion' type, and then the "drop it off at the detailer" type. Have good friends who are the latter (twice a year). What I dont understand is those who abuse their trucks under the guise of 'using' it.

“Using” and “abusing” are both subjective terms.

I use my pickups like pickups. They are not precious lifted mall-crawlers. I do not baby them or abuse them. I rarely spray them off. They have hail dents and brush scratches. They have light dust on the dashboards. The 4x4 gets exercised regularly. They are well maintained mechanically and offer me reliable service.

1997 GMC K-1500 - 289K miles

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab (Cummins) - 199K miles

2017 GMC Sierra 1500 - 127K miles

2017 Ram 2500 Mega Cab (Cummins) - 56K miles.

All still running/driving like champions.

I suspect my “using” would fall squarely into your “abusing” category.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk