Make sure you show respect this fall

Marble

WKR
Went to a fast food place for breakfast once during duck season.
A truck load of teens/twenties with their flat bills, mud motor duck boat
and daddys big diesel truck pulled up in the parking lot and went in
the restaurant next door. They had 3 limits of ducks hanging on the back
of their mud motor for everybody to see. Those ducks hung out in
the bright sunlight of central Florida for at least the hour while I was
eating. Upper 70's -80 degrees.
I'm guessing they took them home and threw em in the trash.
I hate to see game wasted.

In Europe they will hang birds by the neck after they kill them and wait almost until the birds neck actually separates from the body, from decomposition, dropping to the ground. They consider that properly aged. They have rooms like cellars set up for this. Much cooler temps than 70 degrees. I'm not sure on the exact process, but, they like it like that.

Doesn't sound appealing to me at all.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Vandy321

WKR
Agreeably, but isn't the wolf also an animal and deserves some respect? I think they should be hunted/managed, of course, but not irradicated. That's not what nature intended. A healthy respect for all living creatures is, well, healthy.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
In Europe they will hang birds by the neck after they kill them and wait almost until the birds neck actually separates from the body, from decomposition, dropping to the ground. They consider that properly aged. They have rooms like cellars set up for this. Much cooler temps than 70 degrees. I'm not sure on the exact process, but, they like it like that.

Doesn't sound appealing to me at all.

Yes! Had a buddy from England about punch me when I started cleaning the pheasants I shot that day. “Hang ‘em upside down until green stuff drips from their nostrils Bloke!”

I couldn’t bring myself but did start aging them in the fridge, guts in, for a week+ and it did improve flavor and texture. Also takes the pressure off at the end of a long hunting day to clean the birds.

KHNC

WKR
If you’re going to kill an animal, do it for the right reason…unless it’s a wolf. Then let the dirty bastard rot.

I took my antelope out of a game bag this evening after letting it sit in the fridge for 4 days to age. No dirt, no blood, very little hair. The meat is going to be prime grade! I killed the buck with a clean shot through the vitals, he made it 20 yards and died on his feet. It was cleaned immediately, hung overnight and then put into an ice chest with ice on the top and bottom of the game bags. I take my meat care very seriously and the quality of table fare I’ve got in return has been phenomenal.

On the way home Sunday, I pulled into a gas station for a snack and there was a truck next to me. A beautiful antelope buck was laying in the truck, skin, guts and all. It was 77 degrees according to my truck dash. Some guy will be telling others how terrible antelope meat is this fall!

I love killing critters as much as the next guy, but I don’t take it lightly. In general, I think rokslide has a higher class of hunters and I think most of us do it for the right reasons!

Oh and take care of your furry friends!
Love that GSP, just got a female 5 weeks ago. Shes had some fresh deer bones lately.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Agreeably, but isn't the wolf also an animal and deserves some respect? I think they should be hunted/managed, of course, but not irradicated. That's not what nature intended. A healthy respect for all living creatures is, well, healthy.
I’d wager many of us agree in theory on that, but many places in the West they’ve not been ”managed” and are causing a lot of problems for a lot of hunters, hence the sentiment right now.

But let’s not hi-jack this thread too much.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Love that GSP, just got a female 5 weeks ago. Shes had some fresh deer bones lately.
Mine chewed like a damn maniac until 10 months. Now she’s doing great. She was a handful for the first 9 months! She’ll be chasing pheasants in Kansas in exactly a month!

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Well said and I agree. When they get to a healthy population then we can respect them…for now choot them all!

Vandy321

WKR
I’d wager many of us agree in theory on that, but many places in the West they’ve not been ”managed” and are causing a lot of problems for a lot of hunters, hence the sentiment right now.

But let’s not hi-jack this thread too much.
I 100% agree with that sentiment...was simply pointing out the slight hypocrisy of the original post.

But I do appreciate the reminder from the OP...far too many people "do it for the gram" and it leads to an overall lack of respect for the animal and what they provide for our families (outside of likes on social media)

KHNC

WKR
Mine chewed like a damn maniac until 10 months. Now she’s doing great. She was a handful for the first 9 months! She’ll be chasing pheasants in Kansas in exactly a month!
MIne wont stop pissin in the damn floor in the house!! Most times within minutes of doing it a couple times already!! SHes a tough one right now.

Vandy321

WKR
MIne wont stop pissin in the damn floor in the house!! Most times within minutes of doing it a couple times already!! SHes a tough one right now.
Ove got an 11 week old DK that is having the same issue. He won't poo inside, but damn sure he'll still pee inside 10 minutes after being outside and going. He's exceeding expectations in obedience thus far, just not getting the "don't pee on the floor" part. Frustrating. And he can hold it all night (sleeps on our bed)

sndmn11

WKR
I am going to dry age this year; I have a bear and a phorn at the moment in coolers waiting for the young man's portable trailer walk-in thing to be available.

I didn't care too much about hair and debris when skinning out the phorn because I (perhaps incorrectly) assumed all of the exposed anything would be trimmed off as the rind. I see @Ucsdryder meat looks like a new born's pristine cheeks. It looks like he cut it up within a few days.

So, when you are expecting a rind to be on the meat, does hair, sticks, make a difference?

Marble

WKR
Yes! Had a buddy from England about punch me when I started cleaning the pheasants I shot that day. “Hang ‘em upside down until green stuff drips from their nostrils Bloke!”

I couldn’t bring myself but did start aging them in the fridge, guts in, for a week+ and it did improve flavor and texture. Also takes the pressure off at the end of a long hunting day to clean the birds.
Oh dang, OK ill try it. My buddy owns a game bird farm and he set aside a group of them for us this November.

Still sounds gross...

Marble

WKR
I am going to dry age this year; I have a bear and a phorn at the moment in coolers waiting for the young man's portable trailer walk-in thing to be available.

I didn't care too much about hair and debris when skinning out the phorn because I (perhaps incorrectly) assumed all of the exposed anything would be trimmed off as the rind. I see @Ucsdryder meat looks like a new born's pristine cheeks. It looks like he cut it up within a few days.

So, when you are expecting a rind to be on the meat, does hair, sticks, make a difference?
Yes. Make sure it is clean. The sticks and hair not so much cause it comes off,you just dont want nasty bacteria from other sources on it. We have done this to some of our elk hind quarters and clean the outside with a sponge soaked in vinegar.

You can do it a few ways. Normally I'll take an entire backstrap and wrap it in one of my clean elk bags in the fridge. It'll get pretty dark. Check it regularly. I think I have done 2 or 3 weeks. Not sure exactly. Been awhile since I did it.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR

I didn’t want a rind on mine because there’s not a lot of meat on an antelope. I didn’t want to have to trim off all the rind and further diminish the amount of meat I got. On an elk I’m good with a rind. If you don’t want a rind keep it in game bags. If you want a rind, hang it overnight without a bag.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Because I'm good at it.......and I enjoy it. Why do you let wolves rot?
Because according to the biologists the meat isn’t safe for human consumption. Why are they shot? Well that’s an equally easy question to answer, but let’s be honest, you already knew the answer to both question and were just being argumentative.

As far as why I hunt, I enjoy it too. If I didn’t I would go to king Soopers and buy some ribeyes. That doesn’t change the fact that if you’re going to kill an elk or an antelope you owe it to the animal and your house guests to take care of the meat. Again, I would imagine you already know that too, or do you just kill your elk for fun and leave them lay?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Well that’s an equally easy question to answer, but let’s be honest, you already knew the answer to both question and were just being argumentative.
Just trying to piece together the logic or the breakdown thereof for your comments in your first post. ;) Personally, I don't care why others hunt, kill, or process, or whether they respect it or not. That's their business.

tdot

WKR

Have you dry aged bears before? If not, I'd suggest caution, the fat can go rancid very quickly, even in the fridge. A couple years ago I let life (aka a pregnant vegetarian wife) get in the way of processing my bear. I lost 1/2 the meat by day 10 in the fridge, and it was on ice within 2 hours of being shot.

rob86jeep

WKR
Because according to the biologists the meat isn’t safe for human consumption. Why are they shot? Well that’s an equally easy question to answer, but let’s be honest, you already knew the answer to both question and were just being argumentative.

As far as why I hunt, I enjoy it too. If I didn’t I would go to king Soopers and buy some ribeyes. That doesn’t change the fact that if you’re going to kill an elk or an antelope you owe it to the animal and your house guests to take care of the meat. Again, I would imagine you already know that too, or do you just kill your elk for fun and leave them lay?
While I'm not trying to get involved in a wolf hunting debate, i've never heard that wolf meat isn't safe to eat. Where did you hear that biologist's say people shouldn't eat wolf meat and do you have any references/links that I can read up on it?

Squincher

WKR
Sure, but you’re smart A comment doesn’t really fit this thread. He’s just reminding people, and maybe teaching a few who don’t think about it, how to take good care of their meat.

Appreciate the reminder OP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll try to be more preach-y next time. Maybe that'll fit better. And self-righteous; I forgot self-righteous.

Last edited: