downsizing bullet to reduce recoil

Going from a 180 to a 150 in my 300WSM was like going from a 30-06 to a .243.....just saying.

I shoot the 150's. Thats plenty of bullet for pretty much anything when they are burning 3300FPS out the barrel.

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
thanks all, I bought a box of 125 grain nosler. will see how that goes, if that doesnt work Im gonna go with a 243 or 6cm, or possibly just use my ar 15 with the 77s. For what I will do the rest of my life that combo should work fine. I appreciate the feedback

MEdude

Lil-Rokslider
thanks all, I bought a box of 125 grain nosler. will see how that goes, if that doesnt work Im gonna go with a 243 or 6cm, or possibly just use my ar 15 with the 77s. For what I will do the rest of my life that combo should work fine. I appreciate the feedback

Did you happen to have opportunity to see how the 125’s performed on game?

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
I havnt. our seasons ended and Im done til this fall.
Unless someone needs a spring bear partner, in which case Im a pm away, lol

Legend

WKR
Has anyone legit went from say a 165 grain bullet to a 125 grain bullet and if so how much did it actually affect felt recoil.
For reference I have shot 308s over the last few years and love them cause I am a 1 gun guy. I went with a tikka and stockys this year to reduce the weight of the gun, but paid a price in recoil. NOW, before anyone questions my manhood I can and do shoot it fine.
However, I have severe cervical stenosis and since Ive changed to this combo it actually hurts my neck when I shoot. I love the looks and combo of the gun, its a joy to carry, shoots lights out. I currently use nosler 165 grain ballistic tips for deer size stuff and have some trophy grade 165 grain accubonds for out west stuff. The velocities are the same per the box (yes I would resight) so shouldnt be to far off to go back an forth. I stocked up on ammo a couple years ago and have enough to last me the rest of my life. I obviously feel no recoil when I shoot at deer, but, the neck hurts right after and later.
So, I am thinking about trying the 125 grain nosler ballistic tips in this rifle, or, buying a 243 or poss 6 creed next year (if I can find a decent rifle at a decent price point). Buying the 125 grain ammo is alot cheaper than buying a new rifle tho. Or, I can just suck it up, have my son in law check zero yearly, and go shoot a shell or two each year, buy a t1x for playing and move on.
OR, I could buy some 77 tmk and shoot my AR, but I hunt public land by myself with some unreal hills and want them down asap after shot.
I am shooting a 125grain bullet out of a 300wsm. It started as a reduced load for my 12 year old. It really tames recoil. We have killed elk out to 500yds. I really like the light bullets now.

Has anyone legit went from say a 165 grain bullet to a 125 grain bullet and if so how much did it actually affect felt recoil.
For reference I have shot 308s over the last few years and love them cause I am a 1 gun guy. I went with a tikka and stockys this year to reduce the weight of the gun, but paid a price in recoil. NOW, before anyone questions my manhood I can and do shoot it fine.
However, I have severe cervical stenosis and since Ive changed to this combo it actually hurts my neck when I shoot. I love the looks and combo of the gun, its a joy to carry, shoots lights out. I currently use nosler 165 grain ballistic tips for deer size stuff and have some trophy grade 165 grain accubonds for out west stuff. The velocities are the same per the box (yes I would resight) so shouldnt be to far off to go back an forth. I stocked up on ammo a couple years ago and have enough to last me the rest of my life. I obviously feel no recoil when I shoot at deer, but, the neck hurts right after and later.
So, I am thinking about trying the 125 grain nosler ballistic tips in this rifle, or, buying a 243 or poss 6 creed next year (if I can find a decent rifle at a decent price point). Buying the 125 grain ammo is alot cheaper than buying a new rifle tho. Or, I can just suck it up, have my son in law check zero yearly, and go shoot a shell or two each year, buy a t1x for playing and move on.
OR, I could buy some 77 tmk and shoot my AR, but I hunt public land by myself with some unreal hills and want them down asap after shot.
You could always put a 6creed barrel on it rather than buying a new rifle and stay a one rifle guy with less recoil

I’m really considering putting a 6 creed barrel on my 308 tikka, the 308 isn’t bad to shoot, but I like the 6mm program

MEdude

Lil-Rokslider
I am shooting a 125grain bullet out of a 300wsm. It started as a reduced load for my 12 year old. It really tames recoil. We have killed elk out to 500yds. I really like the light bullets now.
Maybe you have the specific data I seek. I’d like to load a 125 gr reduced round for a 30-06.
• Which 125 grain bullet are you using, BT’s, TMK’s, or other?
• What muzzle velocity are you running?
Looking to establish minimum terminal velocity, that still provides predictable upset.

1moaway

FNG
I just moved from a 308 to a 6cm and am absolutely loving it so far, I would highly recommend it if the 125s don't make the impact you are hoping.

Jimbee

WKR
You could just find a cheap 243 tikka take off and swap your barrel

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
I would love a 6 creed but I dont know anything about changing barrels, etc etc. Im pretty much a buy it in a box and use it guy, tho we did change the stock on my tikka.
I have thought about getting the 243 and going, but I have a ton of 308 stockpiled and only shoot 4 to 5 times a year max with my deer rifle. Im a bowhunter at heart so the rifle doesnt get out much.

Legend

WKR
Maybe you have the specific data I seek. I’d like to load a 125 gr reduced round for a 30-06.
• Which 125 grain bullet are you using, BT’s, TMK’s, or other?
• What muzzle velocity are you running?
Looking to establish minimum terminal velocity, that still provides predictable upset.
I'll have to find my reloading book at see what I had going. Can't remember at the moment.