East Coast going West

sneaky

"DADDY"
So on the boots issue, I am due for new boots and I want the best for the terrain I will be walking. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.
Go try on a bunch of boots. Pick the ones that fit YOUR feet the best. You're gonna get a list of boots thrown out to you that are these guy's favorite boots. They may work for you, they may not. Everyone's feet are different.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I like uninsulated Lowa Tibet GTX boots, but as said before, you've gotta get something that fits your foot, then make sure they are broken in well.

OP
W
Go try on a bunch of boots. Pick the ones that fit YOUR feet the best. You're gonna get a list of boots thrown out to you that are these guy's favorite boots. They may work for you, they may not. Everyone's feet are different.

Great advice, thank you!

Wow, 36 hours...that is about what we are figuring on realistically. Thanks for the props, will come in handy on about that 25th hour of driving. Just started looking at Montana as an alternative as someone on this thread recommended. Non residents are a drawing yes? How do you plan the trip if you do not know you and your hunt partner will even draw a tag?
Yes, Montana is a draw for non-residents but it's pretty good odds. Plus you can apply as a party. If I remember correctly two or three years ago was the first time they sold out non-resident big game combo licenses (elk & deer). There is also an elk combo with only the elk tag. I think if you purchase the preference point (not the bonus point) that increases your odds of drawing a big game combo tag or elk combo and all but guarantees it. Maybe someone with more experience with their regs can chime in if I'm wrong. Our backup plan has always been Colorado since you can go over the counter. We just haven't had to use it. The first year we went we basically operated under the assumption we would draw and started our research/planning before we knew for sure. Then we were in good shape when we found out we had tags. We looked at a lot of Google Earth and Onx Maps, called and talked to a couple biologists and read what we could on Rokslide and other forums. Montana is a huge state, so gohunt.com is a fantastic option for getting information and narrowing down the areas you want to look at.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yes, Montana is a draw for non-residents but it's pretty good odds. Plus you can apply as a party. If I remember correctly two or three years ago was the first time they sold out non-resident big game combo licenses (elk & deer). There is also an elk combo with only the elk tag. I think if you purchase the preference point (not the bonus point) that increases your odds of drawing a big game combo tag or elk combo and all but guarantees it. Maybe someone with more experience with their regs can chime in if I'm wrong. Our backup plan has always been Colorado since you can go over the counter. We just haven't had to use it. The first year we went we basically operated under the assumption we would draw and started our research/planning before we knew for sure. Then we were in good shape when we found out we had tags. We looked at a lot of Google Earth and Onx Maps, called and talked to a couple biologists and read what we could on Rokslide and other forums. Montana is a huge state, so gohunt.com is a fantastic option for getting information and narrowing down the areas you want to look at.
Realistically these days you should count on MT as an every other year option. Buying a preference point when you apply doesn't guarantee you a draw anymore.

OP
W
Realistically these days you should count on MT as an every other year option. Buying a preference point when you apply doesn't guarantee you a draw anymore.

Thanks for feedback on Montana option, does Montana sell out of non resident tags? I began reading the regs there, getting familiar with units, seems best elk populations are north of Yellowstone.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Thanks for feedback on Montana option, does Montana sell out of non resident tags? I began reading the regs there, getting familiar with units, seems best elk populations are north of Yellowstone.
You have to draw all NR tags for Montana for elk and deer.

Perrin713

FNG
Fellow NY'er here. We drive to MT and the drive is brutal. With a week long hunting trip we spent more time driving than hunting. For 2021 we are planning a 2 week hunt instead of 1. That drive would be a bear flying solo.

Brendan

WKR
Fellow NY'er here. We drive to MT and the drive is brutal. With a week long hunting trip we spent more time driving than hunting. For 2021 we are planning a 2 week hunt instead of 1. That drive would be a bear flying solo.
Done Montana and WY 5x total from Boston, MA, all driving, and by myself for 3.5 of the drives.

Weirdly, I don't mind it and like being in more control and being able to bring all my own gear and spares and get meat home easier.

It's two full days of driving solo stopping to sleep at night. Leave after work Friday, and am hunting Sunday afternoon.

iaff3666

FNG
central PA fellow here. taking my youngest this year we will leave Thursday after school drive till 1, sleep in the truck, up at it again 6-7am arrive in WY Friday, get a room finish the drive Saturday morning and be hunting Saturday night! You'll love the drive, its great!

ScottinPA

WKR
Boots - find someplace that has free returns and get a bunch to try - Zappos, Campsaver I think.

I'm planning my second solo trip to MT this year. I'll hunt by myself a few days and meet up with a friend that lives in the area and hunt with him a little. Then head to a different area and hunt solo again. IMO, the drive isn't too bad once you get around Chicago.

MT has sold out of non-res elk combo the past several years.

2rsquared

Lil-Rokslider
central PA fellow here. taking my youngest this year we will leave Thursday after school drive till 1, sleep in the truck, up at it again 6-7am arrive in WY Friday, get a room finish the drive Saturday morning and be hunting Saturday night! You'll love the drive, its great!

Was that your car I saw out West? Saw plates from PA, NY and WV. Philly suburbs here. I also passed 3 guys squeezed into a Prius wearing hunter orange when driving through the Teton Pass that had PA plates, but I think the guy from Boston has us beat though.

Drove solo to Idaho to pick up some pack llama's and backtracked to Wyoming. Was at the trailhead in 2 1/2 days. Hiked in a few miles, had tent pitched and belly full before dark. Set the cruise at 5 mph over, stopped only for hot coffee, fill up the 31 gallon gas tank in my Yukon XL and sleep. Cooler packed full of sandwiches, snacks, gatorade and water from WaWa. Gatorade bottles were dual-purposed. Slept in the truck and showered at truck stops to save $$$. Podcasts, coffee and Metallica helped and never pushed it too hard to the point of becoming sleepy.

It was a beautiful drive. Love the open country. Worst part of the drive was getting out of PA...the Turnpike was the worst stretch of road. They actually charge people money to drive on that thing? The dirt roads in WY were in better condition.

Would (and hope to) do it again.

2rsquared

Lil-Rokslider
Not to make light of the current state of the World, but flights seem to becoming more affordable given the recent drop in oil prices and the reduced travel caused by the Corona virus.

May want to look into booking flights this Fall.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Blackstorm

Lil-Rokslider
its wonderful that another New Yorker is going to Colorado this fall, were doing 4th rifle good luck on your adventure.