EBike for hunting......any recommendations on make (Rambo, QuietKat, etc) and/or model.

JimGa

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a 500ish bike and used a motor and battery off ebay, cost 1100 and works well. I'm not super mechanical so my cousin did most of it, he's built 3. Had it since June, so no long term report.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I’ve thought about this a few times. I currently ride a Salsa Timberjack which is not powered. It’s great for getting back into flatter areas, or running deep into closed logging roads, but it would be nice to at least have petal assist!
A coworker of mine got a Backou setup and it’s really nice, but I think he paid 7k for it. I’ve rode it in the parking lot and it seemed really nice, has components similar to a entry or mid level non powered bike. I’ve road a top of the line Specialized that was petal assist and I think that would the route I’d go. I would hate to be 5 miles from the truck and something happen and realize I have to now get this 70 lbs bike plus my gear back LOL. That specialized bike wasn’t much heavier than a normal bike, or at least didn’t feel that way, and it had top level components.
I looked at a quietkat a couple years ago and a Rambo. For the money, I had to pass on them. They were HeAVY, had really cheap components and did not feel very well made.
For now I’m sticking to my Salsa, and benefiting from the exercise of having to power it myself!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NoWiser

WKR
I just got a Frey Hunter. I did some research and it looks to be made by the same company that makes Backcou. It’s very similar to the Mule with as good or better components. I haven’t put on a ton of miles yet but so far I’m very impressed. The price has gone up since I ordered mine but it’s still a good deal. I haven’t owned it long enough to recommend, but I definitely think it’s worth looking into.

Skinl19

FNG
I’ve thought about this a few times. I currently ride a Salsa Timberjack which is not powered. It’s great for getting back into flatter areas, or running deep into closed logging roads, but it would be nice to at least have petal assist!
A coworker of mine got a Backou setup and it’s really nice, but I think he paid 7k for it. I’ve rode it in the parking lot and it seemed really nice, has components similar to a entry or mid level non powered bike. I’ve road a top of the line Specialized that was petal assist and I think that would the route I’d go. I would hate to be 5 miles from the truck and something happen and realize I have to now get this 70 lbs bike plus my gear back LOL. That specialized bike wasn’t much heavier than a normal bike, or at least didn’t feel that way, and it had top level components.
I looked at a quietkat a couple years ago and a Rambo. For the money, I had to pass on them. They were HeAVY, had really cheap components and did not feel very well made.
For now I’m sticking to my Salsa, and benefiting from the exercise of having to power it myself!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I also use a non-powered fatbike for getting into some places that I hunt. Most of the public areas around me don't allow e-bikes on the trails. I live close enough to state land that I sometimes ride my bike from the house to my hunting spots.

JoeDirt

WKR
I bought an imported bike from local bike shop 500 watt pedal assist so it's legal just about anywhere on state and federal lands.
$1700

Also non fat tire to not bring unnecessary attention

Later had a larger battery and lower gears installed.

52BF298B-5060-4ADA-AE0E-4F427E83E2EA.jpeg
2B296C7A-7988-4DA5-BD80-F027DF74D246.jpeg47B2D3D1-47AE-4526-AAB8-28CD639368FE.jpeg363154D8-8139-4906-B300-500A7C654EBA.jpeg

Last edited:

CoStick

WKR

JoeDirt

WKR
Hopefully your dog gets to ride in the cart, wouldn’t want him to sweat or work.
He wants nothing to do with it. Other than running, damn dog runs for 8 miles before he gets tired...lol I cant keep up even with the E Bike!

lilharcher

Lil-Rokslider
I see a few mentions about them here, but do NOT get a RAD bike for hunting unless you are hunting flat land….I just took mine on a deer hunt in Utah and it didn’t have enough power/torq for a moderate hill (not talking mountain here)…..same for a small section of soft sand on a road. These are not meant for back country…..I live a mile from the beach and that is exactly what it is intended to do - street cruising!

super happy with my bakcou mule. definitely dont use it as much as I thought I would and should probably sell it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

ZuluBravo

WKR
It’s a little more of a cross between a MTB and dirt bike but Sur Ron makes nice E bike. Great suspension and a ton of power.

tdhanses

WKR
I’ll be converting my Trek Roscoe 6 at some point, it blows my mind what they charge for these junk frames and components on these ebikes, for $3k you are buying a $300 bike with $1300 in electronics.

Buy a good quality bike for your base, then add the motor and battery all of which are the same on all these ebikes and available on amazon, ebay or many online vendors.

Fatcamp

WKR

JoeDirt

WKR
Which model is this? How many miles do you have on it? What breakdowns have you had? What did battery and gearing cost?
I down know the model, its just a chinese rebrand from a local distributor.

The only issue ive had was the motor isnt 100% waterproof I did a creek crossing and that caused some issues that the dealer ended up covering under warranty. Lessoned learned rain is fine and submerged water is not suppose to get into the motor but it did. The bike still worked with the water just some corrosion on the motor terminals and board. Other than that not one issue really.

I originally bought a 10ah battery and upgraded to a 21ah. The battery and the lower gears cost around $800 but I was able to sell back the 10ah at a used price of $300

My lower gears is a Box cassette and derailleur. It was a little spendy but it allows you to not use a drop bracket on the derailleur. My friend bent his derailleur with the drop bracket.

Fatcamp

WKR
I down know the model, its just a chinese rebrand from a local distributor.

The only issue ive had was the motor isnt 100% waterproof I did a creek crossing and that caused some issues that the dealer ended up covering under warranty. Lessoned learned rain is fine and submerged water is not suppose to get into the motor but it did. The bike still worked with the water just some corrosion on the motor terminals and board. Other than that not one issue really.

I originally bought a 10ah battery and upgraded to a 21ah. The battery and the lower gears cost around $800 but I was able to sell back the 10ah at a used price of $300

My lower gears is a Box cassette and derailleur. It was a little spendy but it allows you to not use a drop bracket on the derailleur. My friend bent his derailleur with the drop bracket.

Ya, that dealers website shows three models. Cool to know they are becoming more affordable. Does it go uphill well?

JoeDirt

WKR
Ya, that dealers website shows three models. Cool to know they are becoming more affordable. Does it go uphill well?
Ohh ok they didn't have a decent website before. Its the E-XC, the other models are the same bike with racks and baskets. Holy smokes the price went up!!!! The owner is hunter friendly unusual for Portland.

Being a Mid Drive the uphill is great! With only 500 watts you're still pedaling though. Around 4mph uphill not much pedaling though.

My mule will do 10-12 mph uphill with some peddling pretty easily... sure you can build one real cheap but I doubt they will hang with the top tier ebikes on the market

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

ridgefire

WKR
I have had great luck with my Rad Rover. I did upgrade it with the Bolton kit and it will rip up the hills. Over 3000 miles so far without any major problems. Not the greatest components on it but it has worked well for me.

tdhanses

WKR
My mule will do 10-12 mph uphill with some peddling pretty easily... sure you can build one real cheap but I doubt they will hang with the top tier ebikes on the market

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
What’s a top tier ebike that comes with quality components and a not made in china frame etc?

morgan1h

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll be converting my Trek Roscoe 6 at some point, it blows my mind what they charge for these junk frames and components on these ebikes, for $3k you are buying a $300 bike with $1300 in electronics.

Buy a good quality bike for your base, then add the motor and battery all of which are the same on all these ebikes and available on amazon, ebay or many online vendors.

Interested to hear if you've done this yet @tdhanses
I've been doing a bunch of research and considering buying a Roscoe to convert as well. Looking at the 7 though, since I might like the 29" tires better? From my reading, 2.6-3.0 width seems the sweetspot for early season mountain traveling? I've looked at other models too, but thinking there might be good value in the Trek.

Primary use will be to quietly get back and up from trailhead using dirtbike legal single tracks/atv trails for summer high country scouting (with lower wildlife impact than noisy dirt bikers out joyriding). Sort of a dirtbike alternative. Secondary use of trailering out quarters.
Lots of steep elevation change where I'd want to be using it - thinking a 1000W Bafang motor on a quality trail mtb might be the ticket for efficient travel.

Last edited: