Elk Basecamp Gear you must have

rayporter

WKR
a snow shovel or a grain shovel is handy if there is snow.

a pottie chair or cut the bottom out of a five gallon bucket to leave a deposit.

One of these days Im going to do a video and go through our set up for the family, I have watched a bunch and I learn from each one. I don't know why but I can watch gear dumps and camp set ups and even though I do it all the time and have several set ups I still enjoy watching them.
So some of my favorite things in a base camp is clean change of night time clothes (fuzzy night pants and long sleeve loose shirt) soft warm slippers, hot shower, comfortable chair, good smooth whiskey, nice slow rolling fire in the stove!!!!! coming back to that after 3 days bivy hunting with mules is hard to beat. Maybe my wife could swing by for an hour after im in my chair !!!!

Bronc

Lil-Rokslider
Chain saw - firewood, cut your own cot shims, clearing road, clearing camp site, etc.
Definitely a decent shower setup.
Solar lights are nice for arriving after dark.
Nothing better than a cooler of ice cold beer to supplement your whiskey and cot warmer.

Ya, and 60" big screen with the Direct TV dish on top of the tent. College football was the only reason I ever came home from my elk camp every September. Might not even be an issue this year.

That made me laugh. How about an X-Box too? Usually electronics are things I'm trying to get away from (I consider my cell phone an electronic leash). That said, there have been times when I've been forced to sit out foul weather (104+ temps, rain and wind or just plain freezing) and that when a tablet or laptop with downloaded TV shows and movies can really help pass the time. During a hunt last season a business emergency arose, I had to drive 30 minutes to a truck stop with internet service (Hwy 40 in NW AZ) to send and receive files. It took half a day outta my hunt but prevented a five digit loss. So while the notion of a 60" flatscreen, dish and genset may seem laughable...there is an argument to carry a laptop or tablet.

59941524_10218742198927175_4867218039755505664_n.jpg

Wisco1

FNG
Broom for the wall tent. Shovel for the fire pit and toilet pit. And a 5 gallon bucket with a toilet seat for the aforementioned toilet pit - way better than picking random trees near camp

Old sleeping bags and tarps to put over my coolers. Really helps with ice retention. I have a camp shower I made out of a 5 gallon bucket and some odds and ends. I heat water in a big pot and add it to some cold water. I hoist it up in a tree with a pulley system. Extra cordage of all sizes.

A boot dryer! No matter how waterproof your boots are, after several days of hunting in rain they are going to be damp inside.

GatorGar247

Lil-Rokslider
Build a hot water shower.. mine cost me 150 bucks with the shower tent.. I bring 12 volt cube lights to hang in the trees or around cAmp and a small solar panel to keep the battery hot.. I like to use a screened in canopy / tent for a cook shed.. keeps flies out of food. Totes to keep the food in because mice will find it ..

willidru

WKR
Cot Tree to hang clothes on
Small table for next to the cot
Kindling for the stove
Separate wall tent for cook tent

Looks as if just about everything is covered. This year we added a shower/outhouse from Cabelas. Used to use tarps around tree for our privy but digging the hole for the potty was a pain due to roots. Now we can put it anywhere away from the trees and roots. Love our hot shower setup but camp is getting too comfy to leave.: )

Roksliding

Lil-Rokslider
Weed sprayer converted to a portable shower

Generator (why not it’s a base camp)

Lanterns the cheap Coleman ones cause they are amazingly good and it’s nice when you don’t want to fire up a generator..

a plush sleeping bag, not a high end -20 3lb Arabian unicorn goose feather bag, I’m talking the 15 pound flannel lined canvas bags, cause you’ll carry it from truck to cot and it’s so worth it!

At home I sleep with a fan on so a battery powered white noise maker is nice, but not nice enough to pack in for over nighters..

This last one can make or break your hunt.......

Ear Plugs. The foam ones.. I don’t snore, and believe it or not there are serious cons to not snoring, mostly- you’ll be the one up all night as your buddy F’n SNORES all g-damn night!!! He’ll sleep peacefully in the tent you bought on the cot you lent him with the sleeping bag you borrowed him as you struggle to get more than 15 mins of consecutive sleep in a truck seat.......

ear plugs man ear plugs.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
There's no way I could wear ear plugs while trying to sleep. I don't even like a hood on that covers my ears, I like to be able to hear and know what's around me........even when sleeping.