Elk hunting pack.

jerm8352

Lil-Rokslider
I have used a Horn Hunter Full Curl for elk hunting the last few years. It certainly worked better than throwing a game bag over my shoulder like I did before that but after helping a buddy haul out his bull this year I have to think there is something better. I was sore for a week afterwards. I usually just day but want something that is going to get my gear up the mountain and then the elk back down without killing me. I know it ain’t easy to get an elk out but I just can’t shake the feeling that a better pack would make it easier. My question is would upgrading to a different pack be that much of a difference to justify the cost? Thanks for the help.

Schism

WKR
I’ve owned a handful of lower tier packs believing one of the packs from an upper tier company was all money spent on a name and their marketing. After packing out a couple elk with my old pack and being sore as you describe, I bit the bullet and purchased a high end pack. After owning a quality pack designed to haul heavy loads more comfortably I’m embarrassed it took me so long to see the light. A top tier pack will carry weight so much better than a lesser pack that it’s almost hard to believe. Only you can decide if the monetary cost is justified. For me it definitely was!

gledeasy

Lil-Rokslider
I to use to use a horn hunter pack, I think they've had an update since. When I killed my first bull my two friends and I loaded our packs and headed down the mountain with the first trip. One friend had an erbelestock just one I believe and the other had a badlands sacrifice. The erbelestock felt the best, followed by the horn hunter, than the badlands.

I submitted my story to a magazine and won an outdoorsman's pack. I've packed two bulls with it and multiple deer. I can tell you there was a big difference on the first elk I packed with it compared to the horn hunter and I wasn't even in as good of shape that year.

Presently, I'm looking to upgrade again hoping something will be that much better as my back, and age, isn't what it once was.

Last edited:

87TT

WKR
I backpacked for years and carried some pretty heavy packs.(60 plus). When I started elk hunting, I figured I would need a better pack than the old external frame pack I kept for hauling loads. I bought a Kuiu Ultra 6000. It was ok but was a little unstable for me when loaded moderately. Still better than what I had. Then I tried on an EXO. I can say, unless it catches fire or gets swiped, I have bought my last pack. I was hesitant at the cost but not any more.

OP
J

jerm8352

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you all for the insight. I am starting to research into what I might upgrade to.

SW hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I backpacked for years and carried some pretty heavy packs.(60 plus). When I started elk hunting, I figured I would need a better pack than the old external frame pack I kept for hauling loads. I bought a Kuiu Ultra 6000. It was ok but was a little unstable for me when loaded moderately. Still better than what I had. Then I tried on an EXO. I can say, unless it catches fire or gets swiped, I have bought my last pack. I was hesitant at the cost but not any more.

I haven't used an EXO but great advice on any high end pack. When I got one I thought the same thing, if it doesn't get stolen it will outlast me. No reason I couldn't get 25 years out of it.

I also tried the full curl system and the frame just didn't fit me right. I went to kifaru and liked it better. I have since gone to SeekOutside and it is even a better fit and feel for me than kifaru.

just like so many here I tried to "sneak" by without spending "all that $$" but finally tried a SG and I'm still kicking myself for being SO tight for SO long - I have 2 strapping sons I wanted to get started right but couldn't, at the time, afford to do SG's for both - I was "shopping" on ebay and stumbled upon a "meat/hunting pack" ad with quite a long description that I actually read because the 3 pictures intrigued me - these packs are not like a SG, Kifaru, etc … BUT for $135 a piece they haul a load, a large load, as good as anything I've seen or been told about - I actually read the guy's ebay feedback, quite a few buyers and every one of them was glowing - my sons LOVE them, we've packed a whole bunch of elk quarters and even though now I COULD get them higher end packs they say NO ! don't do it !
just passing this on for those that might have a tight budget

My choice was a Kifaru Hunting Platform Frame And Suspension in coyote w/ Cargo Panel, two small belt pouches and two large pouches (that attach to the Cargo Panel if/when needed), and a Guide Lid all in Mandrake. Also has a Gunbearer and hanging hydration bladder. This cuts four pounds off my pack weight (compared to the DT1) which is almost half. At an estimated 13lbs (including water and kill kit, rainsuit and other stuff in pouches I am able to move around fairly well. If I need to haul a load (gear or elk) I just compress it between the frame and Cargo Panel. I can trek light but won’t hafta make a trip to the truck to get a freighter to haul meat…it’ll already be on my back. I can fit all my spike camp gear and a week of meals in the 55L dry bag. Compresses to nothing w/o the bag. I think it’s the quintessential rig. Stole the idea from Aron at Kifaru. <g>

[/URL
]

[URL=http://s246.photobucket.com/user/BC9696/media/KIFARUPACK1_zpsmtdmzost.jpg.html][/URL
]

[URL=http://s246.photobucket.com/user/BC9696/media/KIFARUPACK2_zpsrgfdaxwi.jpg.html][/URL
]

[URL=http://s246.photobucket.com/user/BC9696/media/KIFARUPACK3_zpsdewho5sj.jpg.html]

[/URL
]
[/URL][/URL][/URL]

Raghornkiller

Lil-Rokslider
just like so many here I tried to "sneak" by without spending "all that $$" but finally tried a SG and I'm still kicking myself for being SO tight for SO long - I have 2 strapping sons I wanted to get started right but couldn't, at the time, afford to do SG's for both - I was "shopping" on ebay and stumbled upon a "meat/hunting pack" ad with quite a long description that I actually read because the 3 pictures intrigued me - these packs are not like a SG, Kifaru, etc … BUT for $135 a piece they haul a load, a large load, as good as anything I've seen or been told about - I actually read the guy's ebay feedback, quite a few buyers and every one of them was glowing - my sons LOVE them, we've packed a whole bunch of elk quarters and even though now I COULD get them higher end packs they say NO ! don't do it !
just passing this on for those that might have a tight budget

I've been a part of well over a dozen elk packouts in the last 5 years with Ebay packs and none were close to the road

OP
J

jerm8352

Lil-Rokslider
That looks like a sweet setup. I will have to look into it.

handwerk

WKR
I've been very happy with my SG X-curve 5900, like has been said many times try before you buy if you can, but for me it has been well worth it to buy a top shelf pack.

gvsugod

FNG
Can the horn hunter full curl system haul meat with the big bag on it? I know if packs well with just the daypack but if I needed to carry meat and all my gear is the pack capable of doing that?

OP
J

jerm8352

Lil-Rokslider
Horn Hunter Full Curl carries weight about as good as anything out there.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
I am not disagreeing with you as I only have experience with the full curl, but it seems like everyone else (here and on other forums) says how much of an upgrade it is with a better pack. Would you elaborate more on your experience? Thanks.

OP
J

jerm8352

Lil-Rokslider
Can the horn hunter full curl system haul meat with the big bag on it? I know if packs well with just the daypack but if I needed to carry meat and all my gear is the pack capable of doing that?
Not sure because I have never really used the big bag even though I have it. It might be difficult just with how the buckles are set up.

OP
J

jerm8352

Lil-Rokslider
Is Kifaru worth the extra $150ish over exo and stone glacier and mr?