Elk rifle preference

I have a 300 win mag. There are many options that will work. Some even say a 270 will work. Things too consider are range, velocity at impact, cost of ammo ..... Get something you enjoy shooting and then work within the limits of your rifle and your abilities.

OP
bigbuckkilla
Yeah I’m rocking a 300 win mag 4-12x50mm gonna use 180gr federal Barnes tsx

RedCopper

FNG
Can you get a cheek well on that thing? Ocular looks pretty high.
A bit off topic and out of context, but was wondering if you (wyomingwomen44) got your Tikka 3x figured out a few years back. Just picked up a T3x Roughtech in 300 Win Mag, having some issues and found your old posts and described it to a T. Would be interested in any solutions you may have found that worked, including selling it ;0). I'm new to Rokslide so my apologies for jumping randomly into the conversation. any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

A bit off topic and out of context, but was wondering if you (wyomingwomen44) got your Tikka 3x figured out a few years back. Just picked up a T3x Roughtech in 300 Win Mag, having some issues and found your old posts and described it to a T. Would be interested in any solutions you may have found that worked, including selling it ;0). I'm new to Rokslide so my apologies for jumping randomly into the conversation. any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Are you referring to the 270 I had issues with?

hunting1

WKR
I have killed them with 308. 30-06. 300wm, and 338. The only one I can say I saw a difference in reaction was the 338, all died. My son killed his this past year with a 308 and 125 NAB and yep, it died 30-yards from where hit.

I certainly can handle more gun, but I don’t need to. I chose this rifle/caliber for precision long range and hunting everything from coyotes to elk. 6.5 is proven to be effective so I felt comfortable with my choice.
6.5 PRC is a great cartridge, with excellent ballistics, and more than enough punch for elk. I killed the bull in my avatar picture this past season in Arizona with my 6.5 PRC.

That’s great information. What bullet were you shooting and how far was the shot?
I hand load my own ammo. My load is Hornady 147 ELDM's, Reloader 26 powder, and Federal 210 primers doing 3100 FPS out of a 26" Rock Creek carbon wrapped barrel. The shot was 365 yards broadside, right behind the shoulder and absolutely crushed him. Exit hole about the size of a golf ball.

Currymac

FNG
I hand load my own ammo. My load is Hornady 147 ELDM's, Reloader 26 powder, and Federal 210 primers doing 3100 FPS out of a 26" Rock Creek carbon wrapped barrel. The shot was 365 yards broadside, right behind the shoulder and absolutely crushed him. Exit hole about the size of a golf ball.
That’s my dream load! I have eldM in 140 and 147 and I’m saving the 147s for exactly that load. Once I get my hands on some rl26 all I have right now is vitavouri n170 and I think it’ll be a decent powder but even with 55gr I have quite a bit of space left in my cases. Seating depth is just two thou off my lands can’t remember the number right now. I’ve loaded a few up but haven’t shot yet.

jayhawk

WKR
.270 with a 150gr Accubond. I'm smaller built, so I can shoot a box of ammo through it in one afternoon and not develop a flinch or sore shoulder.

I've killed mature bull elk with .270 Winchester, 7x57 Mauser and 30-06 Springfield. Recently though, I've taken a fondness for my .375 Holland & Holland, especially for close range jump shooting in thick cover and long range cross-canyon shots out to 500 yards.

wtrbrdm

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Wanted an all around rifle and went with the Bergara Terrain in 300 win mag.
Changed the stock and trigger...bedded and chopped the barrel to 22" with an Area419 brake. Ditched the magazine and installed a Hawkins BDL. Running a Vortex Razor LHT 4.5-22x50. Bit much but I'll make it work.

Even at the factory 26"...had a hell of a time finding ammo she liked. My buddy reloads and we got some worked up yesterday that she really loved.

212gr Hornady ELD-X
65.9gr IMR4831

Put her on radar at an average of 2668fps Hornady load data shows 2700fps at that load. Got her to 1/2 min off a bipod and rear bag in heavy CO winds.

Suppressor en route.

Heading on an Auodad hunt Monday....

I have a T3X in 30-06. So far it’s been a great elk hunting rifle. Killed a handful of elk and a handful of whitetails with it. 165 grain accubonds have worked great for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tough to beat that setup! For all big game hunting.

hicountry1

Lil-Rokslider
Killed elk with 300win, 300rum, and 7stw.

My fav is the 7stw and 160 partitions at 3250.

Hammers them.

Farmer72

FNG
I have used a 270 Win with 140gr Barnes with no problem. I switched years ago to a 8mm Rem Mag with 180 Barnes and it has killed every elk I have hit with it. I would have no problems using either as I am very comfortable and accurate with both.