Elk tag New Mexico

Long story short just moved from East Texas last year to New Mexico for work. Jumped in the draw as a resident. Extremely fortunate to draw an elk tag. Now that I have the tag (first time elk hunting). What advice would you give as far as preparing? Not looking for spots, just advise on the process once you have the tag.
It’s a 6 hr drive so already planning camping trips in the area for boots on the ground work.

I have onX maps so I’ll be spending time on that and google earth.
I have already started working on things I can control such as physical conditioning. Thanks in advance.

CAM_D

FNG
A lot depends on the unit you drew, and which hunt you drew. The elk you find in August will probably not be in the same place in September, and so on.

CAM_D

FNG
21a third rifle
Lots of Wilderness. I've never hunted elk there, but killed the buck in my profile in 21B. As I'm sure you know, the elk will be in deep canyons and have had a lot of pressure up to that point. I've put in for 21A a couple of times, but keep drawing 16E just to the West for archery. I wish you the best of luck!

Long story short just moved from East Texas last year to New Mexico for work. Jumped in the draw as a resident. Extremely fortunate to draw an elk tag. Now that I have the tag (first time elk hunting). What advice would you give as far as preparing? Not looking for spots, just advise on the process once you have the tag.
It’s a 6 hr drive so already planning camping trips in the area for boots on the ground work.

I have already started working on things I can control such as physical conditioning. Thanks in advance.

That unit is not a 6 hour drive from anywhere in NM. Sounds like you're still a Texas resident drawing resident tags?

Edit - Maybe if you're living in Raton but that's a stretch...

Last edited:
Ok Tex - I'll let this one slide, but we're watching you! :LOL:

You might consider shortening your trip by going in through the east/southern side of the unit (Kingston/Chloride maybe?) Wind is generally blowing W to E so you might have better luck hunting into the mountain. I haven't hunted this unit though, just my initial thoughts.

21A was my 2nd choice... I'll send you a PM with info that I gathered before the draw. I'm in 16B (my 1st choice) in late Oct..

Meanwhile, are you planning to pack in DIY, use a guide, have horses (or friends)?

Well, I guess I'm too new to send a PM but when the system will allow it, I'll send you something useful.

Last edited:

Gila

WKR

People don't realize that in New Mexico there are no straight roads to where you want to go. You basically go in a huge circle maybe 80 miles out of your way.

OP
Newtexican
21A was my 2nd choice... I'll send you a PM with info that I gathered before the draw. I'm in 16B (my 1st choice) in late Oct..

Meanwhile, are you planning to pack in DIY, use a guide, have horses (or friends)?

Well, I guess I'm too new to send a PM but when the system will allow it, I'll send you something useful.
I’m planning to DIY it with friends.

Gerbdog

WKR
People don't realize that in New Mexico there are no straight roads to where you want to go. You basically go in a huge circle maybe 80 miles out of your way.
Haha, thats the truth of it, i hate it when im heading south on i25 and at some points outside of Santa Fe my truck is pointing North.... comon......