Elk tag NR strategy

bbright

FNG
What is your annual budget ( how important is it to hunt every year)?
what weapon choices are you willing to use?
are you in it for adventure or trophy?
diy or guided?
do you have a buddy or 2 that share your goals?

CO
must apply for deer and elk. Archery opens up opportunities. Willingness to backpack hunt opens opportunities.
you cN have quality hunts every 2-4 years or less. Go hunt - learn how to maximize a primo hunt. Don’t assume you can show up any hunt 10 years from now and kill a trophy just b/c it took you a decade of applying to draw.

WY
must apply elk, deer and ant. lots of hunts avail for long and short term plans.

ut
long term plan. i delayed applying 20 years ago b/c of naysayers. Wish I’d applied sooner.

nm
lottery, dream hunts. Feels like long shot but I apply.

az
got drawn for a primo elk hunt on 2nd yr of applying. If there’s any chance for me to draw, I will always apply for elk. And once in game w license, I apply for everything else.

nv
i apply. long term plans. done deer and elk. Want to go back.

id and montana.
never played Their game

OP
M

Matt1214

Lil-Rokslider
What is your annual budget ( how important is it to hunt every year)?
Annual budget depends on species. I have no issue putting in for oryx in NM and goats in ID knowing I most likely wont draw and get money back. If I do draw thats even better. I am probably looking at 3-4k to put in, with low chances of getting tags, therefore most of the investment coming back for the next year. I am okay losing 1000 a year if that means I am building towards the future of quality hunts.
what weapon choices are you willing to use?
Muzzleloader, bow, rifle. Bought a bow this year to help open up opportunity
are you in it for adventure or trophy?
both... in ID, NM, AZ trophy. In WY, CO building points to get into some units sooner
diy or guided?
Depends on species and unit. NM and AZ I have a lot of resources, but ID for a goat tag I'd explore potentially getting a guide. Mostly self guided.
do you have a buddy or 2 that share your goals?
Wife and dad. Most of my hunting buddies dont make as much expendable income for tags as I do. Be open to someone on here sharing a similar goal.

Thanks for info on your strategy

bbright

FNG
sounds like you have a good plan. My hunting buddy can’t afford tags either. goes along for the adventure. I pay for travel and have the tent. He’s had 3-4 tags over last 15 years. Hes missed half a dozen hunts or scouting trips And I’ve gone solo. Took my wife’s cousin on a scouting trip this year. id rather go alone than risk having a noncompatible partner That taints an annual trip I look forward to every year.
just sharing that a shorter scouting trip is a good test for a partner. Solo is enjoyable in a different way but i am glad to have someone that stays I shape, always willing to push thru the adversity. Solo w llamas is way to go for extended backpack trips.

If you are open to hunting with a muzzleloader then I would put in for Colorado elk points, otherwise I don’t think I would do it.

This points hoarding nerd culture is ruining hunting in the west. A lot of people playing the game don‘t even know why they’re doing It.

-I have a variable fun ticket budget based on opportunity of hunts
-I go guided Rifle because they do what I don't like to do.
-I have a group of 3 -4 buddies that I switch off hunting with every year based on where they can go.
-I Love the adventure more than the trophy. I have drawn an Elk tag in AZ, 2 in NM and have kind of soured on the attitude/effort of the "Trophy Guides" vs. the ones in the non trophy areas that rely on repeat customers. I have made some great friendships with these non trophy outfitters who really try hard.

I have never shot a Monster but have been very lucky to have great success on Bull elk over the years.

- I frequently apply / go to MT, CO. for Elk
-I apply in NM every year but stopped AZ due to the needing to buy a license just to apply.
-I will draw an Elk tag in WY this year and then stop to point chasing game which I have done in NV, UT.

After 25 yrs of Elk hunting with very good success I am done playing the point game and will just find areas where the Elk hunting is good, the service is good.

My next adventure will be to try Archery or Muzzleloader rather than worry so much about the quest for the 350 bull......

bz_711

WKR
Pre/Post Covid travel restrictions...are there good Canada NR Elk options one should consider? Personally I'm looking for archery/bugling bulls...

Thanks!