Ethics vs Excitement

BuzzH

WKR
Is that the best comment you got? Have you ever said anything nice or complimentary to a non-resident? Or are you all %#%# all the time? Asking for a friend.
Cheer up Kenny...I haven't taken the training wheels off the mechanical dowel flinging either....

558.JPG

575.JPG

I have a ton of video of this bull, fighting another good bull. My brother also has me on video shooting this bull as well.

My Dad and Brother came down for a pronghorn hunt, had a day to spend so we decided to go hunt elk. Had this bull killed, in the truck and back to town in time to scout a few hours before dark for pronghorn.

I'm still curious why bowhunters have to make sure their "bow" is always in every picture? From a fawn whitetail to huge bull elk, don't worry, there isn't a picture one without the bow.

Reminds me of fly fishermen, flyrod, fly reel, or fly in every fish picture...most have all three.

Last edited:
OP
Wyobohunter
@Bubblehide hit the nail.

It's all about competition instead of sitting back and watching the show unfold in front of you. He got here first but I'm gonna shoot over him anyway - I might get one, but at least he won't. People can be real asshats like that.
That was the feeling I got. I don’t know that they saw me closing in but it sure felt that way. Not sure though, I didn’t know they were there until the first shot, it’s possible they didn’t know I was there either.

BuzzH

WKR
That was the feeling I got. I don’t know that they saw me closing in but it sure felt that way. Not sure though, I didn’t know they were there until the first shot, it’s possible they didn’t know I was there either.
Mentality has changed over the years. Where I grew up hunting, there were long term hunting camps in the places we hunted. We knew each other, we respected each others space. We knew who hunted what ridges and where, they knew where we hunted as well. We helped each other but stayed out of each others way...even though it was all public.

People don't honor others hunting spots much anymore.

People will camp right on top of other people.

People will run past other hunters trying to beat them to a spot.

Its all about just killing anymore and most don't care about the how, when, or where. I've had people hack my draw results, try to mine pictures for locations, all sorts of stuff. The low levels people stoop to for getting a leg up is sad.

In extreme cases, some justify poaching even.

Hunting has degraded a lot in the last 40 years, a large part of the "hunt" part of hunting is long gone.

OP
Wyobohunter
From a hunter universe perspective, there's likely a small percentage of experienced hunters in the world that can truthfully say that they never have taken a less than high probability and ethical shot on game.
I agree. I’d say especially when inexperienced.

bsnedeker

WKR
I'm still curious why bowhunters have to make sure their "bow" is always in every picture? From a fawn whitetail to huge bull elk, don't worry, there isn't a picture one without the bow.

Reminds me of fly fishermen, flyrod, fly reel, or fly in every fish picture...most have all three.

I totally forgot to get my bow in the picture with my bull.

One of the greatest regrets of my life. Haven't gotten a good night's sleep since.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

OP
Wyobohunter
I’ve had way more good interactions with people out in the mountains. I guess the bad experiences stand out more.

A good one from last year. I’d hiked about two miles up a canyon and was glassing an area. Trying to decide if I wanted to continue or go up a small side canyon. A fellow came hiking up from where I’d come from and stopped to chat. He asked if I planned to continue up the canyon because if not he’d like to. That was pretty considerate of him as he was in no way obligated. I told him I planned to go up the side canyon and thanked him for being so courteous.

Rich M

WKR
Mentality has changed over the years. Where I grew up hunting, there were long term hunting camps in the places we hunted. We knew each other, we respected each others space. We knew who hunted what ridges and where, they knew where we hunted as well. We helped each other but stayed out of each others way...even though it was all public.

People don't honor others hunting spots much anymore.

People will camp right on top of other people.

People will run past other hunters trying to beat them to a spot.

Its all about just killing anymore and most don't care about the how, when, or where. I've had people hack my draw results, try to mine pictures for locations, all sorts of stuff. The low levels people stoop to for getting a leg up is sad.

In extreme cases, some justify poaching even.

Hunting has degraded a lot in the last 40 years, a large part of the "hunt" part of hunting is long gone.
This is what I have seen too - even in ME, NH, VT - the whole culture shifted. The hunting camps mostly all broken up, people are having pissing matches over their own 5-10-50 acre areas with their own family, and so forth. It really threw the hunting I knew and loved into a tail-spin. That's when attitudes changed and became more self focused.

Thankfully, that for every force there is an opposing force just as strong - some of the guys I meet in the woods are truly the salt of the earth, they really do help provide faith that there is a greater good in humanity.

Weird thing to throw in

Maybe. Or maybe it's from some fallout of an exchange in a previous thread where one person didn't have the sense to keep their mouth shut and instead puked all over the thread with a comment of complete nonsense that had nothing to do with it...

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
My idea on what happened is probably pretty close to yours. I have to have mercy on new hunters, I have missed a bear from 10 feet away with a rifle as I thought I had it at that range and got in a hurry. I also did not repeat the fast shooting performance and fully intend to never repeat it again. Hopefully I have the stones so that even if the bear is trying to eat me I don't pull the trigger prematurely (hopefully I don't get to learn if I do or not).

I have a hard range limit for shooting at animals, currently, if everything is perfect, that is 200 yards. That is based on my skill, I have refused to take a shot at 208 yards because it crossed that line. I don't think much of people who do not know what they are capable of. The bear I missed at 10 feet, I passed up a shot at 58 meters because it would have been off hand, standing in thigh deep ocean, on an uneven shore and shooting over brush. When I ranged it I was shaking with excitement (first bear) and knew the odds of making that shot were not good. So, I tried to improve my position.

So, I can cut slack for people who are learning, but they have to show that they are learning from the experience. A long range shot should only be taken in cold blood, so I have a harder time cutting slack in that situation.

Rich M

WKR
My idea on what happened is probably pretty close to yours. I have to have mercy on new hunters, I have missed a bear from 10 feet away with a rifle as I thought I had it at that range and got in a hurry. I also did not repeat the fast shooting performance and fully intend to never repeat it again. Hopefully I have the stones so that even if the bear is trying to eat me I don't pull the trigger prematurely (hopefully I don't get to learn if I do or not).

I have a hard range limit for shooting at animals, currently, if everything is perfect, that is 200 yards. That is based on my skill, I have refused to take a shot at 208 yards because it crossed that line. I don't think much of people who do not know what they are capable of. The bear I missed at 10 feet, I passed up a shot at 58 meters because it would have been off hand, standing in thigh deep ocean, on an uneven shore and shooting over brush. When I ranged it I was shaking with excitement (first bear) and knew the odds of making that shot were not good. So, I tried to improve my position.

So, I can cut slack for people who are learning, but they have to show that they are learning from the experience. A long range shot should only be taken in cold blood, so I have a harder time cutting slack in that situation.
My shooting range limits me to 250 yards. My gun and load will shoot an inch at that range. Off a betm, off a bench, prone. It is amazing how that combination works. I gave myself leeway to 350 and was successful on an antelope with the only shot ive taken past 250 yds.

Most of my whitetails and hogs have been inside 100 yards. Wish i could say i got them all. Missed some stupid easy shots.

Sometimes i just marvel at all the easy peasy shots ive missed. Keeps ya humble.

Sounds like we need fo add bowhunters to the list of things that follow:

Q: How do you tell someone is a _____

A: dont worry, they will tell you…

Although we could modify that to say,

Q: how do you know someone is a bowhunter?

A: they will show a picture of a down animal with their bow in it.