Favorite deer catridge/rifle.

msalm

Lil-Rokslider
I built a light 7 RSAUM on a model seven action last year that I like quite a bit. B&C sporter stock and a 24” smallish taper sporter weight barrel. It shoots great and I shot a whitetail with it last year at 375 yards with no problem. I’ll probably choose that one for western deer and even antelope…unless I come up with a handier rifle….MAYBE a 6.5 RSAUM, but really no need at this point.

If I were to have a dedicated deer rifle, a 6 creedmoor would be in close competition with 6.5 x284/PRC/SAUM. Since this is a mule deer forum, the 6.5s would get a little boost due to the possibly longer shots and windier conditions than I'd expect to encounter with whitetails where I'd give the 6 creed a nod for the friendlier operating experience.

270quest

WKR
Tikka Superlite 7 rem mag, in a McMillan Sako Classic and a Zeiss 4-16x50...shoots 150 scenars into little clusters and has killed a bunch of critters.

TheGDog

WKR
Hrmm... been saying to myself this year think I'm going to try .223 Rem for deer.

Tween my 30-30 and 308, the 30-30 much more pleasant to shoot.

RE: 308 - From the beginning on the .308 I'd just went with 168gr because thought was what if I get an opportunity on a bear while out there, bigger heavier made sense. But.. it makes a helluva buncha bloodshot waste and I don't think I'd want any more recoil than that, if I'm being honest with myself. Although when I changed scopes on it... and re-sighted-in I tried 150's and that aspect seemed a degree better.

I've been thinking... for my needs... either a .243 Win or a 6.5 BleedMore might be the sweet spot.

Last edited:
Like the OP, my Roberts (Ruger M77) has been a great gun and has killed a lot of deer. I just picked up a Seekins PH2 and was setting it up last night. Already had my scope and had it mounted on the Ruger temporarily. For a 40 year old gun I purchased in Jr high for $250, it has been a good one. Made me sad to take the scope off, just a little bit. The action was every bit as smooth as the Seekins, but 40 years of cycling it will do that. It'll get a brand new scope, so I don't feel too bad and will definitely stay in the arsenal.

LONE HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
My favorite is the 7mm Remington Magnum. My dad is a .270 guy and I wanted to be "different" from him and get a magnum rifle. It's the only magnum rifle I can shoot well without a muzzle brake so I fell in love with the cartridge. That being said it really is way over kill for deer.

I used a 700 cdl in 25-06 as my only deer rifle for the last decade for both whitetail and mule deer. Just sold it a couple weeks ago to fund some other toys. This year I’ll be using a 6.5 prc, but I’ll be working on a 6 or 25 creed to be the new deer rifle soon. I think that’s the sweet spot.

RMM

WKR
I really like my custom .284 win. My dads boss (who was like an Uncle to me) gave it to me for my 14th birthday present a few years before he passed. It holds a lot of sentimental value.

Hornpout

FNG
My favorite deer cartridge is the one I can get components for! All kidding aside, I am currently enjoying my Christensen Arms Mesa in 6.5 PRC.

I love the 300 win mag in a custom Winchester model 70. But the 270 in a custom Remington 700 has never done me wrong

Sonoman

FNG
Up until last year I was lugging around a hand me down 300 H&H. Great shooter, I could use 30-06 shells in it in a pinch, if I didn't get time to reload. The gun was heavy and I thought time for a change. Now I am shooting a tikka in 6.5 creedmore. Great shooter and a heck of alot nicer to carry in the field. Fluted barrel, synthetic stock ( I love wood ) but way more user friendly for those long hikes.