First lite!!?

Why have I lately seen a lot of people posting and saying bad things about first lite?

Are they just haters that can’t afford it? Is there somthing about the company? What is it?

Yoder

WKR
The only thing I have from them is a set of merino wool base layers and I love them. I've used them about 5 years and they are still in good shape. The top is a 1/4 zip up shirt and I've worn that on it's own down to around 20 degrees when I'm walking. They are pricey.

Lowg08

WKR
Couldn’t tell you. I have 95% First Lite and I’ve had no complaints so far. Some didn’t suite my particular type of hunting style.

It’s kind of like when a good band signed with a major record label and people would say- oh, I liked them before they “sold out / went corporate”

Why have I lately seen a lot of people posting and saying bad things about first lite?

Are they just haters that can’t afford it? Is there somthing about the company? What is it?
Not sure why others have issues with FL, but here's mine;

Chernin Group has purchased a large stake in Meateater. Meateater purchased First Lite recently. Chernin Group is anti 2A. Does that make Rinella / Meateater / First Lite anti 2A? I don't care, but it's enough for me to wash my hands of anything First Lite.

Here's a link about the issue which has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Lowg08

WKR
Not sure why others have issues with FL, but here's mine;

Chernin Group has purchased a large stake in Meateater. Meateater purchased First Lite recently. Chernin Group is anti 2A. Does that make Rinella / Meateater / First Lite anti 2A? I don't care, but it's enough for me to wash my hands of anything First Lite.

Here's a link about the issue which has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
You would be very saddened to find out how much more of that goes on than first lite/ meat eater. A dollar is a dollar no matter who it helps or hurt. Chernin sees dollars. You going to stop buying McDonald’s if they were anti-2A. You couldn’t live and own very many items if we knew all the behind the scenes.

Last edited:

Bcleck90

WKR
Lack of Windstopper or similar in certain pieces, sizing is inconsistent, not incredibly durable for what you pay in certain pieces.

That’s my personal opinion and I’m not hater of FirstLite (used to own a lot of it).

Is there a particular thread or posts you’re talking about? I think they get a lot of love on here from what I’ve seen.

I have the complete opposite view as you OP, I’m fairly baffled that they are so successful and highly praised.

The whole point of the direct to consumer model is to cut out the middle man to deliver the consumer more value for their dollar. Yet their products cost as much if not more than their competitors…the ones whose clothes you can actually try on in a store.

RS3579

WKR
I have the complete opposite view as you OP, I’m fairly baffled that they are so successful and highly praised.

The whole point of the direct to consumer model is to cut out the middle man to deliver the consumer more value for their dollar. Yet their products cost as much if not more than their competitors…the ones whose clothes you can actually try on in a store.
This is 100% true. What would their product cost if they weren’t direct to customer? 1000’s? Lol. Them and all the other direct to customers have us all fooled. It’s more $ for them. It’s a good sales gimmick for them. The products I have of theirs are very good. I try to purchase on sale or used.

Yep, the FL Merino is awesome. Anything else in their line is comparable, at best, to other competitors items. I think Sitka has a few better items in outer layers. If you need camo that is.

Flyjunky

WKR
Lack of Windstopper or similar in certain pieces, sizing is inconsistent, not incredibly durable for what you pay in certain pieces.

That’s my personal opinion and I’m not hater of FirstLite (used to own a lot of it).

Is there a particular thread or posts you’re talking about? I think they get a lot of love on here from what I’ve seen.
I feel the same. I love their base layers, and so far their pants have been great. I feel like their outerwear line needs to updated with, like you said, at least some wind stopper.

LKY_DVL_1

FNG
There is always someone who will hate on everything. For me, its the best gear I have ever owned or tried. Others seem to prefer/need different things. The base layers seem to be universally liked no matter what outer layers are being worn

Chubbz

FNG
Yep, the FL Merino is awesome. Anything else in their line is comparable, at best, to other competitors items. I think Sitka has a few better items in outer layers. If you need camo that is.
I agree with mfllood, I have mixed reviews. I started bringing a needle and thread with me to make field repairs on multi-day hunts. Also if you are like me, and forget to not put the wool pants in the dryer, they will make you feel like you grew a couple inches.

I have worn it for years now. I would say some of the earlier stuff had issues or design flaws - rain gear, soft shell pants. I think they have upgraded and enhanced a lot of their designs And closed the gap with Sitka and others.

I will say, they sent me two free sets of new pants when my kanab crotches exploded. Not great that the pants ripped, but they stood behind their product years after I bought them.

I have some of their old merino stuff and it’s good. I wouldn’t say it’s any better than my Minus 33 or Badlands merino though.

Superficial, but they probably have the ugliest camo patterns known to man.

Maverick1

WKR
I have some of their old merino stuff and it’s good. I wouldn’t say it’s any better than my Minus 33 or Badlands merino though.

Superficial, but they probably have the ugliest camo patterns known to man.
I prefer the ASAT camo pattern they used to sell - before they went with their own camo patterns. Purchased a couple of base layer sets when they were still offering ASAT. Superficial, yes. Glad I purchased several - haven't found a need to buy more since then - they've since changed the names of their base layers, too. Have been happy with the performance of the stuff I purchased 5+ years ago. Still going strong.

Poser

WKR
I don’t have any FL pants or shells, but I do like the cut and fit they seemed to have settled on for their merino tops. I own a few Merino shirts and a Sawtooth which gets heavy use and they all fit me extremely well. I had a few similar pieces that I bought early on (2014 or so) that were very inconsistent on sizing and the shirts weren’t multi panel and therefore very boxy in shape. I didn’t care for those so much.